The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:56:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Match Box??  (Read 3323 times)
wb1ead
Contributing

« on: June 10, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »

Aft all..need some expert identification..in the past ya all have come thru so here we go agn..in the midst of a bunch of stuff I've politely offered to liquidate at Oct Nearfest for a SK is a Johnson Match Box..I'm not familiar with what i have here and the paper label on the back is missing..only thing on front is the 3 knobs and the Johnson logo with the "match box" name just below..opening it up finds 2 variable caps each fairly identical about 5" long..in the center a coil over the bandswitch of about 2 to 3" across and approx 5" long....is this the kilowatt or the 275watt version?..is the op manual obtainable?..where?..I will most humbly apologize for not providing pics..this ol' buzzard has no modern "Hawkeye" camera..sorry
         There is one other item but for now I'll take what ya can dig up for me..if ya need any other descriptions..it's on the bench now waiting for the info...many many tnx!!             73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »

Dave, if the box width is around 12" to 14" its' the 275w version. The width of the 1 kw version is around 19".

Which ever it is it's a good find. Give it plenty of TLC.

Hope this helps.

Walt

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »

Yes, the box on the 275 watt version is 10" wide by 7" high and 10" deep...

As I recall, there is a manual for them both on the web some place, "Google
   is your friend"

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »

Tnx Walt and Ralph!..based on Ralphs measurments I can safely say it's the 275 watt version..was very clean inside..no zorches or burnt marks..chip outta the base of one of the large knobs..doesn't affect the movement..wonder what i should go for a price?..thinking around $100 as a ballpark figure..would be sweet if someone gave the linky to the manual download as trust me just making it here is at the edge of my putor knowledge....agn tnx guys!..in the future I'll be back this time hopefully with pics of what this fella had in his garage..TX that has to be 30s or 40s vintage with a couple big time bottles in 'er..yee haw!

73..mystery solved..de DAVE...oops sorry bout that Brian..guess you were posting when I was..yah the pic do tell..didn't want to dig thru my ol' QST collection..went thru a dozen and never found anything on Johnson..dat's why I asked..tnx!

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »

Dave,

Go to the top of the file page you are looking at now, and left click on "BAMA"...

First, when you get to "BAMA", read the file on using the site... It tends to
get very busy and it is  limited to 10  users at the same time!

On the left side there will be a vertical list of manufactures names...  Scroll down to "Johnson" and left click on it.

In the listing that comes up ( you have to scroll almost all the way to the bottom of the file) you will find the manual for the "MATCHBOX"
Left click on the name and then down load the file presented....

Better yet, don't worry about it, let the guy that buys the box look it up.

One weak point on the 275 watt unit is the coupling between the two sets of
rotor plates on the differential cap, the one on the right side, looking from the front. 

If, per chance, some one has hit the box with high power before the SWR
has been correctly set, that fiber coupling has a tendency to arc over causing a
carbon trail and shorting the rotors. 

To check if this problem exists, take an Ohm Meter set for the highest resistance and test across the two sections of rotors. If you see any resistance at all, this
coupling must be replaced.

I solved this problem by putting a ceramic coupling in there but I did have to do a bit of shaft modification to make it fit correctly and still maintain the spacing on the capacitor...

Don't expect to get Ebay prices for the box. Ask for 125 or so but accept an offer for something less, within reason.

Good Luck.

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:54:11 PM »

Hey tnx Ralph for the info..b/4 I buttoned 'er up I did check it out..found it OK..the SK really never used the thing..he bought it from the original owner as a curio pc I'm guessing..tnx too for the Bama route..thought over what ya said and have to agree..let the next owner download it..as far as the price agn I'm in agreement..the XYL always said "it's no wonder all ur stuff sold so fast..heck at those prices they shoulda"..I'll up my ante to $125 and work from there..left to clean/check is a Drake 2NT and National NC173 w/spkr..the Drake is on the variac now..no explosions..looks good!   agn tnx Ralph!  73 de DAVE

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015