The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:56:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shopping for new (to me) bench gear  (Read 9427 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »

First item: need a digital bench dmm.

got this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180358799106

good deal?
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:57:59 AM »

First item: need a digital bench dmm.

got this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180358799106

good deal?

I JUST went through this.

Found a DMM, Vichy model VC-99.  29.00, with another 75, calibrated to NIST traceable blah blahs.

Cool thing about that one is, it measures C up to like 100 uF.  And it's NOT that far off.  And has a thermocouple.  Measures Freq to 40 mhz (but that's a joke, as it's only going to give you 40.xxx mhz readout, IIRC... BUT, it can tell you if something is live with HF energy or not, and at 29 dollars, if you drop the thing from the tower, WHO CARES!!!!!).  NICE big readout, too.  Probably not going to take the place of my Fluke, but this is the only meter I'm using on the bench now.  C, V (ac and DC), R (up to hundreds of Mohms), F, Hz, you name it, the meter will do it.

Then, Almost All Digital Electronics for a 3 ghz freq counter as well as the ubiquitious LC meter.  Can't beat the service or support, and a freq counter for 100 dollars that reads out to a Hz, isn't a bad deal....  Specially when it reads to 3 ghz.  And it's SOLID as a rock.  He also makes kits to do digi readouts for boat anchor equipment, so I'm sure Neil isn't an unknown around here.  His LC meter as well as the freq counter, solid pieces of equipment in my book.

For a dummy load, I have a B & W with a built in wattmeter.  It tracks almost EXACT to my Bird 43, so I only use it.  Has a thermo warning on it, but I've shoved a 900 watt carrier into it for > 2 minutes with no problems.  Still checks out at 50 +/-j0 with the VNA.

VNA = MFJ.  Works for me, has a few limitations, and I've found where it reads to within 10 percent on L and C....  Make your readings around 4.0 to 4.8 mhz, and you will be within 10 percent.  I've found LOTS of people saying their MFJ is "out to lunch" in comparison to LC meters, but I've found it to be within 10 percent AT THAT FREQUENCY!!...  And this is with more than a couple Caps I've checked.

My bench thus far, about 500 dollars, depending on what you consider "preexisting".  I can measure accurately to 3 ghz, measure L and C,measure Frequency, and measure all that a VNA will give me.  I can build linears, oscillators, etc.

Oh yeah, I also have a Simpson VOM (fet input) that I use on my HV probe.  I've got to order some new HV resistors in it to match the DMM's I've got.

An audio amplifier is a good thing to have.  One with a high impedance on the input (no loadin them tube stages down, OM) is good to look at.  Radio Shack used to sell one that had a 15 watt (IIRC) amplifier in it.  Nice, high impedance, enough balls to blow the 3 watt speaker out (but, had an output jack, I think).  I've also built a nice desk amp out of a TDA device.  About 10 dollars got me about 8 watts RMS output (how come Audio has RMS output, but RF doesn't?Huh)

My next move is a scope.  Still debating on digi or analog, but I'm fairly certain I'll go analog. 

Anyway, that's what I purchased.  I'm happy with it, and have already recup'ed all my money back, as I fixed an amp and an HT that had been buried under water for quite some time.  The HT worked, but as soon as I got the freq counter, I discovered it had a -2.5 mhz offset!  Then, found a bad cap in the Henry 35 watt 2 mtr amplifier.  Fixed that, keyed a local repeater WITH THE DUMMY LOAD!..  All happens for a reason, though..  That enabled me to meet the people that tested me for general...  And my friend!

Oh yeah, also enabled me to fix the legal limit HF mobile amplifier.  16X2879s, biased AB, 10/15 meter filtering in it now (working on other bands).  It does 40-10 full Pout, reduced on 80, never tried 160.  Supposed to have 1200pF across each output xformer, I found two caps measuring in the uF range!  4 that measured BELOW (by more than half), and 2 that measured on spec.  85 watts PEP in, 1400 watts PEP out.  Need antennas, as the screwdriver I have will only handle 125 to 200 PEP....

Hope that helps.  I can provide URL's if you need.  I found the price on that DMM from 29.00 to 150 dollars.  The least expensive place was located here in the Bay Area of Cali....  And I got it next day.  If your interested, URL's are available for the asking.

--Shane
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:19:04 AM »

scope is next....looking for that now....sticking with Tek for that.

I like doing buy it now on ebay. no waiting no stupid last second sniping, delivered to my door.

I dont like doing test gear at festers. festers are where you get the junk you need test gear for.  Cheesy
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:27:51 AM »

You want a Tek 475.  I have three.   Expect to pay about $100. for one.  Excellent scope, 200 Mhz, all the dood-dads you  need.

scope is next....looking for that now....sticking with Tek for that.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »

Test  equipment... where do I start?

Have a digi LCR meter. Cost me $150  but it's a quality piece. Will do  caps from pf to several many Mfd.  Inductors from a couple of µh to many 10's of Henries.   My Radio Shack DMM which I've had for years will do R.

Have an ESR meter,   a old Heath Cap checker (C3, I think?),  a GR LCR meter (Model 1656), freq counters up the ying yang, Fluke freq counter, good to 2 Ghz, cost $50. at hamfests, plus others I've glomed at festers, all good to Ghz.   A couple of Boonton model 93 RF millivolt meters.  Three Boids with sluguloids.  And various other stuff which I've forgotten.  Several tube testers, a Mercury transconductance tester and a mil. TV7.  If I need others, my tube-head buddy, Carl, VA3CGM, has a collection of fine tube testers, I can use. 

You can never have enough test equipment.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »

Ed said:
You want a Tek 475.  I have three.   Expect to pay about $100. for one.  Excellent scope, 200 Mhz, all the dood-dads you  need.

Wow! Too bad I'm not in the market for one. I was going to reccomend a Tektronix 465. I used them when I was stationed on the USS America CV-66. They took quite a bit of abuse and still worked FBOM!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:00:40 PM »

465's are getting hard to find.  475's are more plentiful.  I think you can get a 465 for about $100 as well, maybe less?   It's only 100 Mhz difference.  I too used a 465 for years.  Great scope.

Ed said:
Wow! Too bad I'm not in the market for one. I was going to reccomend a Tektronix 465. I used them when I was stationed on the USS America CV-66. They took quite a bit of abuse and still worked FBOM!

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »

465's are getting hard to find.  475's are more plentiful.  I think you can get a 465 for about $100 as well, maybe less?   It's only 100 Mhz difference.  I too used a 465 for years.  Great scope.

Ed said:

Thanks for the input on  both.  I now know what scope I'll be 'scopin' out.

--Shane
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 12:39:31 PM »

I bought a tek 7904 at deerfield years ago. I can easily see 1 ghz sine wave with it. I'm into it for about $200 with plug ins. 7804 not bad either,
78 series ok if you find a good one. My best one is a Digital 100 mhz. I got from work signed out by our vp.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »

For those who remember the AM Expeditions to Thomas Point Lighthouse I am happy to report the old beacon stands strong. 
Ed, Hmmm, three? wow. - maybe you ought to send one over to
Da'Derb.  Cool

What a strange edit (?) Steve'O ?  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 07:25:26 PM »

Don't buy a sig gen, I have one set aside for you that I keep forgetting to give to you

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 05:54:37 AM »

ok will lay off sig gen. Looking at the tek scopes.
WA1QHQ

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 10:18:01 AM »

The Tek 465/475 series of scopes are fine performers but make sure they are working perfectly before aquiring one they are a nightmare to service.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »

It seems to be that the channel 2 attenuator is a big problem. several of h ones for sale note that the channel 2 is dead or not working.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »

400 series scopes are great when working but they had problems with transistor sockets contacts go bad after a while. A way around a bad socket is solder the part in.
The new lunch box scopes work very well and you can store plots on a usb memory stick.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:47 PM »

When ya gonna fix that Gonset leanyar??   Cheesy
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 05:38:16 AM »

I was working on getting the second Yaesu goin but the bastard that put that aftermarket clipper board in hacked up the wiring so bad I think it's a parts rig now.  Angry I should have just left it as it was, a slopbukit /CW rig. It worked and had a 500hz cw filter in it. Now it's toast.

I know whats wrong, the IF signal is not in the signal chain. it went up to that damn board and then went back down somewhere.

I'll try again on the amp today. Got all day.  Wink
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 06:02:23 PM »

I picked up a 7904 loaded with plug-ins for $120 last fall, best scope Ive ever used.

The same place had working 475's with the DMM option for $100 but Ive heard way too many horror stories about their reliability as they age.

If you dont need the BW a 50 mHz 453 is compact and indestructible. Expect to pay $25-50 for a perfect one with probes. Thats what I use on the boatanchor bench and lugged one around for years as a FSE when they were new. I have serious respect for its ruggedness.

BTW, I wouldnt use anything but a Fluke for a bench DMM, older ones are $20 items and the HV probes are always showing up.

Carl
KM1H
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »

I dont know how old is the one I got - looks 80's to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015