The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:01:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna replacement on a 2000 foot tower  (Read 6688 times)
WA2TTP Steve

« on: June 01, 2009, 10:23:16 PM »

I watch the show "Worlds Toughest Fixes" on the National Geographic channel, cable channel 76 in the Albany NY area. The other night the episode was about replacing a UHF TV station antenna on a 2000' tower located in North Dakota. Very interesting and well done documentary showing the whole job start to finish. I've done some tower over the years but watching this was making me squrim! Getting the 7000 lb 40' antenna off the top of the tower using a 120' gin pole was something to watch.

This show was much better than the lame network show that was done last year about some antenna riggers doing some cell antennas.

It airs again on Aug 13 th at 9pm eastern.

Steve,
WA2TTP
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:31:20 AM »

It's amazing what can be accomplished just cuz someone says it can be done - or when we work with people who know what they're doing.

Whenever I think I've bit off more antenna than I can chew, (it happens, especially when climbing to put one up) I just think of installations like that or consider they've been putting up 100 ton+ rotary bridges for over 100 years now.  My stuff ain't squat in comparison... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:59:00 AM »

neat!  Smiley

try this link
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/worlds-toughest-fixes/3564/Overview?#tab-Videos/06097_00
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:15:42 AM »

The ending where the guy uses his body to isolate the 7,000 lb antenna from the gin pole is quite sporting.  Notice the climbing spikes on the antenna that miss his back as it rotates.

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »

Reminder.

This show airs again this Thursday, the 23 rd, at 9 PM eastern on the National Geographic cable channel.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »

Tom,
The Niantic RR bridge will be replaced soon. I think it is about 100 years old.
That is one heavy structure to open and close.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »

The ending where the guy uses his body to isolate the 7,000 lb antenna from the gin pole is quite sporting.  Notice the climbing spikes on the antenna that miss his back as it rotates.

I saw that and cringed also Tom. Showing off for the camera I suppose. Hopefully he was coached on that back at the office. That could have been his last climb very easy.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »

I'll st up the DVR to catch this. Thanks
Impressive looking transmitter site.
.....DVR sure beats the VCR days and the blinking 12:00 and programming those things.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »

FREAKS me out just watching it. There is no amount of money that would get me up there. On the net somewhere there is a picture of men working on the Vampire State Building antenna. Flying in an airplane does not scare me and if I were younger and could qualify, I would go to the moon on a rocket, but when it comes to ladders and towers, forget about it!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »

I watched the replay and the HD is beautiful. Those guys just stand at the top on those few inches of platform, like nothing is unusual. I would leave my fingerprints in the metal.
They never explained what was wrong with the previous antenna. "It just didn't work right".

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 12:28:11 AM »

On the net somewhere there is a picture of men working on the Vampire State Building antenna. 

There's a great picture here of a some guys on the Empire State antenna.

http://www.laforetvisuals.com/content/photos/0LaforetP009.jpg

and some pictures here of the 1946 antenna installation.

http://www.earlytelevision.com/rca_antenna.html

Sam / KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »

Sam,

Note the climbing belts used in 1946! Looks like all of the rigging is just knotted rope.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 10:15:40 AM »

Sam, the other stuff from that web site is amazing. It shows how important some people think preserving the early history of TV is. My hat is off to them. 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 04:10:46 PM »

Sam,

Note the climbing belts used in 1946! Looks like all of the rigging is just knotted rope.

Grin  Yep, they were such JS artists back then when it came to safety. But they certainly understood rigging and physics - and somehow got the job done.  (Before the day of OSHA and frivolous "lawsuites.")

I have no problem working up on high towers - it's really a matter of getting a grip on our fear and getting confidence from our belts, climbing cable and skills. EVERYONE is afraid of heights. It's wired in. What bothers me is the swaying of a self supporter. It makes me dizzy sometimes and I need to stop and watch the horizon for awhile.

T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015