The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:22:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DTV Over The Air Reception - Lousy!  (Read 20606 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 11:10:30 PM »

Why does the cost to auction off spectrum have to equal what is charged for it?

The government should be reimbursed for their regulatory costs in managing the spectrum, which they normally collect as licence fees.  It won't cost them anywhere near $20 billion to re-farm those TV channels to new users once the TV stations abandon them.  Why would they deserve such outrageous fees from the new users? This would be like the state charging you or me $100,000 to register a Corolla.

This has nothing to do with what it costs the government to auction the spectrum; that is negligible.  What kind of expenses are we talking about?  Publishing a few public notices, paying a few salaries to administer the auction, some accountants' fees and some legal expenses.

The new users who won the auction bids don't "own" those frequencies any more than we "own" the ham bands.  Remember, a radio licence grants a privilege to use certain specific spectrum.  The radio licensee has no inalienable right to the spectrum he uses, and the privilege can be withdrawn at any time.  Look at what happened to our 220 mHz band when UPS convinced the FCC they had better use for part of it than the amateurs had. 

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 08:21:27 AM »

None of that answers my question. The Federal government has sold land for decades for far more than they paid for it. Same for oil drilling rights, etc. Show me the law where this is illegal and you'll have a legitimate point. We can't P&M about how inefficient the government is and then turn around and P&M when they show efficiency.

Why does the cost to auction off spectrum have to equal what is charged for it?

The government should be reimbursed for their regulatory costs in managing the spectrum, which they normally collect as licence fees.  It won't cost them anywhere near $20 billion to re-farm those TV channels to new users once the TV stations abandon them.  Why would they deserve such outrageous fees from the new users? This would be like the state charging you or me $100,000 to register a Corolla.

This has nothing to do with what it costs the government to auction the spectrum; that is negligible.  What kind of expenses are we talking about?  Publishing a few public notices, paying a few salaries to administer the auction, some accountants' fees and some legal expenses.

The new users who won the auction bids don't "own" those frequencies any more than we "own" the ham bands.  Remember, a radio licence grants a privilege to use certain specific spectrum.  The radio licensee has no inalienable right to the spectrum he uses, and the privilege can be withdrawn at any time.  Look at what happened to our 220 mHz band when UPS convinced the FCC they had better use for part of it than the amateurs had. 
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 11:28:14 AM »

Boil dat Frog.

You'll be P&M'ing when 'they' control everything.?
We're well on our way.
Doncha' read Pravda?  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 12:16:40 AM »

We can't P&M about how inefficient the government is and then turn around and P&M when they show efficiency.

What does squeezing an extra $20 billion out of the public have to do with efficiency?

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »

Making more than you spend is rather efficient!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 09:56:18 AM »

Ok, Stevemeister, I'll play the straight guy.
What's a little inflation when it can do nothing but help "level the playing field."

Populism, egalitarianism and class warfare run amok, aided and abetted by an entire party, 'led' by a demi-god and worshiped by the elite, both in form and media.

Such 'efficiency' always collapses from it's own hubris.

Even though it's my fortune too, I can't wait.   Shocked

Only the vast, accumulated wealth of a once frugal nation, now ever more fatted, dumb and illiterate prevents a more rapid collapse.
Turn in your radios, bury your guns,...
The time is nigh.

RICK  *W3RSW*
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 11:06:06 PM »

Some people think that you can't get dtv reception with an indoor antenna, I have an antenna here that has a pair of whips (like rabbit ears) for vhf and a loop for uhf and sat that in a window in our house that is about 7 feet above ground and was able to get a station that was 80 miles away, and came in most of the time except during a storm, and is on uhf and i've got a ton of mountains between the transmitter and here to boot.Shelby Kb3ouk

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 12:49:54 AM »

Isn't $20 billion like pissing in the ocean when you are spending trillions?

- - -
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 12:54:42 AM »

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 06:28:34 AM »

That's similar tto the antenna i have

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
ka3zlr
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 08:48:16 AM »

One things for sure, I'll never get Alienated from reading or re-reading a Good Book...

I Can Still get good news from Radio....

Jack.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »

The FCC is spending trillions?

Isn't $20 billion like pissing in the ocean when you are spending trillions?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015