The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:52:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crosswind Landings  (Read 5975 times)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« on: June 03, 2009, 12:00:45 AM »

various:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_7Xt2ga-s

747 & 777:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOxo0s33sI

A380:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLVsTrZYOLs

--- Post No Bills ---
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:46:33 PM »

Many a time I had a rough ride trying to get a Cessna or piper on the ground (got chewed out once because I put a whopper of a side-slip on a cherokee on short final...)

I can't imagine the wind effects on one of those behemoths.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:23:40 AM »

Even more fun in a tail dragger. LOL
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »

I remember being taught in a Cherokee 140 to crab down the runway at an angle into the wind and then 'kick it out' to line up with the direction of travel just as the wheels were about to touch, very similar to those cross wind landing test videos of the Airbus and Boeings. I guess I prefer the high wing version of flying cross controlled into the wind and getting one wheel down, then the rest.

And yes, taildraggers make it more 'fun'. I once ground looped a Piper Vagabond trying my first wheel landing in it - ended up out in the grass. I dragged the plane back to the line and was looking it over working up the nerve to get back in the saddle, when my instructor walked by carrying something to the hangar.  He didn't say anything except "I'll prop that for you when you're ready" with a twinkle in his eye.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »

Mark, that's a reference to the Tiger Moth. Once a fairly common bird to get your taildragger sign off in.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 01:50:43 PM »

I agree with the Tiger Moth reference. I've never had the pleasure to fly one, but did get to look inside a nicely restored one on a flight line once.

Most of my taildragger time was in the aforementioned vagabond. Most of the club was scared of it, so it was only used by about 3 of us and was often available on a summer evening or weekend afternoon. At the time (early 80's) it rented for $9/hr wet! I used to love to take it out after work and go find a creek to follow at 700 feet AGL or so, or go chase the hot air balloon guys.

Also got some time in a Stinson, mostly flying door off photo missions for a local photographer. That one was easier to wheel land than three point and was real sweet to fly.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 02:08:41 PM »

Looks like some tense moments in the cockpit. Maybe an oooooh SH&T.
They rely on that landing gear to take the brunt of impact. ouch!
A former pilot of 747's told me that the landing gear is designed for a very hard landing, in fact the hard hit, without cross winds is preferred.............for what ever reason.
And I thought the engines did the braking by reversing, but the last several flights I have been on it feels like heavy braking from the landing gear. No powerful engine sound and lunging foward in the seat.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:54:59 PM »

Here is one of my favorites. An extreme crosswind event involving a 747 landing in Zurich. Watch the wings flex as the pilot is making approach adjustments and note how he snaps the aircraft straight at the very last second. This has to be one of the hardest landings I have seen. The pilots who handle these beasts are amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-1AegwkzA

I sometimes park my jeep on a hill overlooking the end of runway 6 at Bradley International as I sip my morning coffee and monitor the tower-aircraft chatter as the incoming flights line up for their final approaches. There's always something to see and hear and rarely ever a dull moment!

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »

Sometimes it's best not to know the stuff that goes on out there.
And it's amazing the rigorous training that these pilots go through for surprises "as seen on YouTube"

fred

Fred KC4MOP
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »

I nearly GL'd a Citabria.  Long day, got it down nicely, then quit flying it on the roll out. tail snapped I hit the stick hard forward, stomped the rudder, and jamned the throttle open.  Got it stopped at 90 degrees off the runway heading.  rolled between the elevated lights, across the grass, and up onto the apron, missing anything more solid than grass (thank God). 

The tower was less than impressed... the controller was a guy with a vicious accent (NY style italian) that we had nicknamed "Vinnie". 

Tower: Citabria 123, every ting ok ova dea?

me: Yes, must been a gust or something... (Yeah right). I'd like to taxi to parking.

Tower: Roger, from your CURRENT position, cleared to taxi paved taxiways only. ( I swear I could hear the laughing...)

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »

Crosswinds are always fun, especially in my aircraft of choice, gliders... Do or die, no go arounds for us...

But with the speed this guy was carrying, he prolly could have gone around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1au6V1E5CyI&feature=related
KL7OF

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 01:32:24 AM »

Lots of tail dragger pilots on the forum...Who knew??   How many are currently flying with the wheel in the back??? count me as one....85 hp champ and 150 hp PA-12 when I'm in Tum Tum... currently PA-18 in AK...
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 09:43:03 AM »

Yo Steve, I'm not current, either. I learned in a Taylorcraft. Spent a lot of time flying 172s-182s into Wyoming when I serviced oil field equipment.

Marriage, kids and lost medical...
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 07:42:10 PM »

No longer current here, Used to fly anything I could. Citabria, lot'sa Cessnas & Mr Pipers Indians,  up to a Mooney 201J (NICE!) I was the proverbial airport BUM. used to get paid to fly once upon a time, now I can't even get a weekend job towing gliders. Sad

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 11:22:07 PM »

Sorta current here. Trained in Piper Cherokees and Colts, spent 4 years with a flying club near Rochester NY (Williamson) and then about 5 more down in Ithaca, flying everything from the Vagabond to a Mooney to get my retractable time for the commercial license. Spent 4 years flying jumpers in a C-182 in Ovid NY. 4 (intentional) parachute jumps, 2 deadstick landings.  Shocked

In 1999 I made the shift into Ultralights with a CGS Hawk Arrow II. Basically a modernized Piper Cub, tandem seating, 65 hp water cooled Rotax twin, 3 bladed pusher prop, aluminum frame, dacron fabric. Solo I get 900 fpm climb, cruise at 70-75, Vne 100.

Trained up to become a Basic Flight Instructor using the Hawk, but about a year after I got set to do that and before I had enough students to matter, the F'nAA changed the rules requiring factory built aircraft only for instructors, effectively ending my ability to instruct and taking about 90% of the BFI's out of the picture nationally.

So last year I transitioned the aircraft from a 2 seat ultralight operating under the instructors exemption to an Experimental Light Sport Aircraft. I've let my medical expire and am flying under the Sport Pilot rules. Being limited to Day VFR isn't so bad.  Grin

* hawk at rest.jpg (137.71 KB, 640x480 - viewed 366 times.)

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 10:30:14 AM »

As a frequant survivor I have to say, one of the MOST interesting international airports to land at was Hong Knog's Kai Tak runway 13 which brought you down on a roller coaster ride  from 10,000 feet to 3000 feet, than a hard starboard turn with apartment buildings off both wing tips. Sorry folks, this is the best heavy landing in a cross wind video I have seen to date. I think you will agree this was a RIDE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 11:21:34 AM »

That's a great video Mike. I have seen shorter clips showing the final few seconds of that rather famous landing, but never the approach view that shows how the pilot overshot the turn and then made the sprint to line it up. I wonder how many tires he scraped off when the wheels hit the pavement?

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015