The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:05:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walt W2DU 2009 CQ Hall of Fame Inductee  (Read 6095 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: May 19, 2009, 08:49:33 PM »

I see on QRZ.com that the 2009 list of CQ Hall of Fame Inductees includes Walt Maxwell W2DU, an AM Forum participant.

Hey Walt - Congratulations !

See the article and list at:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=203726

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:16:43 PM »

Awesome Walt; Congratulations! 

Rob K5UJ

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:29:23 PM »

Some of the other inductees include astronauts, the developer of Class B modulation, Jack Kilby, and Riley Hollingsworth; quite a group of distinguished people.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 10:28:48 PM »

Thanks to all for the congrats on the CQ award. It came as a real surprise to me. CQ is presently in the process of publishing the 3rd edition of Reflections, so sons Rick, W8KHK, Bill, W2WM and I were at Dayton, and stopped by the CQ booth to talk with Dick Ross, K2MGA, the owner of CQ Communications, and his managing editor, Gail Sheehan, who is corralling the data for the book. It was Dick Ross himself who told me about the award. I was flabberglasted--couldn't believe it!

It might be of interest that I knew Loy Barton, the founder of Class B modulation, and one of the inductees. He was working at the RCA Labs during the time I was there.

Thanks again, guys, for the nice words.

Walt, W2DU

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »

I'll add my congrats as well, Walt. You've given a great deal to the amateur community over the decades, and it's great to see this recognized to all. Not to mention having you here on AMfone with us as well.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »

Just caught this reading down the sheet here Walt, good for you OM...Congrats... Cheesy

I missed it last time..

Jack.
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »

Thanks again for the nice words, guys. On my previous post I tried uploading some pics from Dayton, but they were too large. I didn't have time then to reduce them until now, so here they are:

First, from left are Roy Lewallen, W7EL, founder of the antenna software program EZNEC; W2DU; Joe Reiser, W1JR, former chief engineer of Cushcraft, later in an antenna business of his own.

Second, on left, Roy Lewallen, W7EL; on right the Maxwell Ham group.

Third, Dick Ross, K2MGA, owner of CQ Communications; Gail Sheehan, K2RED, Managing Editor, CQ; W2DU.

CQ is now in the process of publishing the 3rd edition of Reflections, which should be out around the end of this Summer.

As I said earlier, I wanted to kill myself for forgetting to get a pic of Don, KYV, with us when I had the chance at Marion's Piazza after the Hamvention.

One more pic in the next post.

Walt, W2DU

* 2.jpg (110.38 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 342 times.)

* 5.jpg (113.06 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 353 times.)

* 7.jpg (110.76 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 371 times.)

W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 10:54:26 PM »

Here's the last of four pics, this one wouldn't fit the system requirements of only three per post.

The pic shows the Maxwell Ham group, with Dick Ross, K2MGA, owner of CQ Communications on the right.

Walt, W2DU

* 11.jpg (101.55 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 342 times.)

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »

Hi Walt,
I could not pass up the opportunity to pass along my congratulations as well.  We only ever met in person once and that was many years ago at the Warminster Hamfest when it was at the drive in theater location.  We were tail gating next to each other and I will always remember our great conversation during the Hamfest!  The award could have not been presented to a better person! 
Best Regards,
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 03:55:15 PM »

Excellent! Congratulations. See Loy Barton's seminal papers on Class B modulation at the AM Window Web Site link below.

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/barton/1.htm

Thanks to all for the congrats on the CQ award. It came as a real surprise to me. CQ is presently in the process of publishing the 3rd edition of Reflections, so sons Rick, W8KHK, Bill, W2WM and I were at Dayton, and stopped by the CQ booth to talk with Dick Ross, K2MGA, the owner of CQ Communications, and his managing editor, Gail Sheehan, who is corralling the data for the book. It was Dick Ross himself who told me about the award. I was flabberglasted--couldn't believe it!

It might be of interest that I knew Loy Barton, the founder of Class B modulation, and one of the inductees. He was working at the RCA Labs during the time I was there.

Thanks again, guys, for the nice words.

Walt, W2DU
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »

Thanks also to Joe and Steve for the congrats!

And Joe, I have to be honest with you, I'm sorry to say I don't remember our conversation at Warminster. However, if I do remember correctly, that was around fifty years ago, at least forty, so apparently you have a better memory than I.

And Steve, thank you very much for the Barton paper--it's a real classic that I'd not seen before. However, what surprised me in the paper is that it stated that 1000w of audio is required to modulate a 1000w carrier 100 percent. Another surprising bit of info in the paper, at least as I interpret it, is that 100 percent mod had never been achieved before Barton came up with Class B mod. The paper seems to imply that although the Class B RF output stage could not achieve more than 30-35% efficiency, it could also not achieve 100 percent mod. It also seems to have implied that Heising mod of a Class C RF amp could not achieve 100 percent mod. Of course the engineering then was in the late 1920's, and probably not well understood by the university students at that time. Or has my memory failed me concerning the mod percentage achieved by the Heising method?

Your syllabus also contained a paper by another interesting person, Edmund Laport. When I knew him he was the Chief Engineer of RCA's International Division. He made many visits to the antenna lab of the RCA Labs in Princeton when I was working there. He told me of his new book that was just released, "Radio Antenna Engineering." It's one of the best antenna books that was available, in addition to John Kraus', of course. It was published by McGraw-Hill, but long out of print. I scanned my copy quite some time ago, so it's available on my hard drive.

If any AMfoner's would like a copy of Laport's book on CD please let me know and I'll burn one for you. Just let me know if your address is ok in the QRZ listing.

Walt, W2DU

* Cover.pdf (888.86 KB - downloaded 161 times.)

W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 07:31:09 PM »

I must've hit the wrong button, or perhaps not at all, cuz I thought I had uploaded a pic of the cover of Laport's book. So I'll try again!

Walt, W2DU

* Cover.pdf (888.86 KB - downloaded 185 times.)

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 08:55:03 PM »

Walt,

I gave my copy of Laport to my oldest son in Chicago 10 or 15 years
back and yes, would appreciate a copy on a CD.

I'm okay in QRZ for the past 40 years.

Take care,

Ralph, W3GL.

PS;  My pix on here is me back a few years after my stint at AED, taken
for my passport at the studio at RCA Camden... You just might recognize me...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 09:45:54 PM »

Fine, Ralph, you're #1 on my list for a CD of Laport.

Walt

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 11:02:15 AM »

We have John - K5PRO for providing the Loy Barton papers.

You can get Laport's book in various electronics forms at the link below.

http://snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/RadioAntennaEngineering/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015