The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:23:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters RXer on an old Airforce one plane (JFK)  (Read 15240 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:11 PM »

This saturday, I had a chance to walk through one of the planes used by JFK that was designated Airforce one. To my suprise, There was a nice old Hallicrafters RX mounted next to his chair in the plane.

Here are pictures..   This RXer seems to be the SX62. However, Its all black and has different knobs in some places. Also, It does not say SX-62 anywhere on it. I leaned over and got a real good look at it.. No model numbers. I asked and this was the original radio that was on the plane when it arrived at the museum.

In the forward section there was a "press box" with seats for press.  This area had a flush mounted S20-Sky champion.  Pretty cool!

Does anyone know anything about the RXer pictured? Is it a standard early SX-62 or something else?

Clark

* jfk-halli.JPG (103.35 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 555 times.)

* jfk-halli-2.JPG (109.82 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 638 times.)
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »

Clark,

There was a note and later a followup about this receiver in ER; I don't have my issues at hand right now but I will dig them out later if someone else doesn't provide the update.  As I remember the article, President Kennedy dispatched an aid to buy a SW receiver to monitor what foreign leaders were saying about the Cuban Missile crisis and this SX-62 was the result.  It looks to me like it got a repaint at some point, the silver colored top part has been painted to match the lower panel thus spraying over the model number (and pointer reset label).

The original article is on P. 25 of the April 98 ER and there was a follow-up in May.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:13:02 PM »

Perhaps there have been more than one Airforce One plane used by JFK. In Clark's post he didn't mention where the plane he visited was located.

I walked through JFK's plane located in the Air Force's used-plane parking lot in Tucson, Arizona a few years back, and saw a Hallicrafters rx on the port side of the plane next to a comfortable chair.

I wonder if Clark and I saw the same plane, but perhaps at different locations, or were there more than one plane?

Walt, W2DU

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
W1GFH
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »

JFK was a SWL!  Our 35 President of the United States, John Fitzgerald “Jack” Kennedy serving from 1961 until his assassination in 1963 had the wandering ear that enjoyed hearing the shortwaves.  Jim Riff K7SC wrote in Electric Radio about the fascinating instance where President Kennedy liked to tune his own receiver for his personal need for up to the minute public reaction and comments on his policies. Plus,  Radio Havana was one of his regular programs he tuned the dial to.

Jim Riff wrote “In the early 60s during the height of the cold war, President John F. Kennedy was very concerned about world opinion and the foreign press coverage of his European and Cuban policies. One first hand source that was available to him was the worldwide international shortwave broadcasts, such as radio Moscow and the BBC.”  Riff continued “On one of Kennedy’s flights to NYC, he ordered one of the secret service agents on board Air Force 1 to go into downtown Manhattan and purchase a good shortwave radio that he could use on his many trips.

The flight engineer indicated that they had a backup receiver in the navigators area, a WW2  BC348 that could be piped back to his desk in the rear of the aircraft. Kennedy indicated that he would like to have a set near him that he could use at will. The secret service as instructed arrived in Manhattan and purchased the best radio available and returned to the aircraft for the return flight to DC.

(Author says, I hope the agent had a good dolly to cart that beast) Urrrrahh for Radio Row. The service technicians at Andrews AFB were instructed to install the new Hallicrafters SX-62B directly into the presidents desk on Air Force 1. - A long wire antenna was fitted from the top of the vertical rudder angling down to just behind the cockpit and 110 V.AC was wired from the inverter bank back to the SX-62B. The speaker was built into the side panel of the desk and ear phones were sometimes used due to the high engine noise in the cabin. The Icon of all band receivers Hallicrafters Corp., had a majestic design in the SX-62B and it even copies the FM bands. 

Riff said “The installation of the Hallicrafters set was on the port side of the aircraft and to the right center in the president’s desk. The metal case had been removed and the receiver dropped into a cut out on the desk. Riff continued, he was advised both Pres. Kennedy and Johnson used the receiver frequently during their cross country flights.  The aircraft was retired and is property of U.S.A.F. Museum Wright Patterson, Dayton, Ohio.

htttp://www.geocities.com/w8jyz/JFK.pdf
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »

The Shortwave Receiver book by Fred Osterman lists the weight of the SX-62 as 64 pounds; made 1949 - 1953.

The Communications Receivers book by Raymond Moore lists the SX-62A for 1955-63, SX-62B for 1965.

If Raymond is correct, it is more likely that a SX-62A was acquired rather than the B model.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »

JFK used a variety of "Air Force Ones", most notably, the Boeing 707 (VC-137) tail number 26000, which sadly carried him on his last trip.  Also, Kennedy used several other VC-137s, SAM 970, 971, and 972.

Believe the radio in question is installed in a Lockheed VC-121 Super Constellation, "Columbine III", which entered service during the Eisenhower administration.  Kennedy also apparently used a USAF DC-6 from time to time.

The legend is that the SX-62 was purchased during the Kennedy administration.   Who knows for sure...

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:07:13 PM »

I wonder if JFK ever listened to the ham bands on those rigs.
I suppose most everyone was on AM in those days.
 Cheesy
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »

I remember touring the Air Force One Super Constellation at the Air Force Museum quite a few years back.  Indeed, there was a Hallicrafters SX-62 mounted back in the passenger cabin. I think I've got a pix somewhere....

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 02:39:48 PM »

THis plane was the DC6A that eisenhower used and then JFK briefly used before he got 137 or SAM 26000.  Its located at the Pima air museum in Tucson AZ.

I have studied pictures and this radio is a bit different then all the pictures I have seen. 

The 62 was probably chosen as it has FM and AM.

I saw the wire antenna from the rudder to the nose. I bet it worked well.  S20-Sky champion in the forward compartment must have been installed much earlier.

Clark

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 10:06:44 AM »

If Raymond is correct, it is more likely that a SX-62A was acquired rather than the B model.

Definitely not a B, as the B was the last in the line and used the later large fluted knobs like the SR-150 & SR-400 transceivers. As did the later SX-62A MK* models (MK II and III come to mind, but can't recall for certain). So if it's an A, it's an early one.

Seems I read an article about this some years back (when I could remember the publication, month, page) that said the radio was gotten from either Harrison or Barry in NYC. Dunno, but it's good to see it preserved and accessible for all to enjoy.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 01:44:23 PM »

Just thought I would let you guys know that I found and purchased a wonderfull SX62A!   I got it at the Williams ham fest in arizona from my Friend Art.   

I enjoyed a few hours with it last night. What a wonderfull sounding radio!  I am using it with a high quality home stereo speaker on the 8ohm tap. To say this thing is HiFi is an understatement. It clearly beats every rxer I own for sound quality and I have about 30 of them.  Not sure of this recievers merrit for AM Ham radio use. But for listening to FM or AM broadcast or SW this thing is a pleasure to use and a pleasure to listen to.  I just cant get over the low end and the high end on this thing. It rivals some home stereo units I have.  Maybe I found the perfect speaker for it, A paradigm Bookshelf monitor.

I will eventualy hook it up for 75 Meter AM and give it a spin. Maybe it will work well.  If not, I will let the old girl play jazz music at a low level in the office and spin the dial for SW once in a while.

Clark
WQ9E

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »

Clark,

Enjoy your SX-62A.  I used one for about one week as a novice and it is not a great 40 meter CW receiver but I did make a number of contacts including Canada and Argentina so it did work.  The following week I upgraded to an SX-101A and that was a much better ham receiver.

The problem with the SX-62 series is lack of bandspread coupled with backlash but that won't be a problem on 75 meter AM.  It is basically the same circuitry as the SX-42 except it doesn't have the nicer mechanical drive and of course no separate bandspread cap.  But sensitivity and selectivity will be virtually the same and the SX-42 isn't a bad receiver at all. You also get a crystal calibrator with the 62-that was not included in the SX-42.  The multiple selectivity choices including crystal filtering work well and as you have found it has a great audio section.  After I got the SX-101 my SX-62A still was used quite a bit for AM and FM along with shortwave broadcast reception.  Back when WLS was rock instead of talk it would come rolling in nicely in S. Mississippi by mid-afternoon in the winter and the SX-62A spent a lot of time tuned there.  It also did a nice job on the FM "album rock" and "deep cut" stations out of New Orleans although I am not sure my parents appreciated WRNO (The Rock of New Orleans) and WNOE FM.

I now have 3 SX-62 series receivers; one in my office at the university and another in my home office with the third one in the basement radio room.  The first one I bought to replace my original SX-62 which I gave to another ham long ago and the other two were hamfest finds at a price too low to pass up.  When Lynn Brock was still making dials I bought replacements for all 3 of mine; the paint does tend to crack and flake on these old girls.  Mixing old and new technology, I use an Ipod Nano through the phono input in my office SX-62A.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »

Clark - unplug that SX-62 and check the capacitors associated with the tone control.  If one of 'em shorts it takes out 1/2 of the output transformer primary.  May have already happened... in which case you'll have a 6V6 that's running with plenty of screen voltage but not plate voltage.  Replace 'em while you're in there unless it's apparent that someone's done it recently.

Between a dozen SX-62s and SX-42s (electrically almost identical) I've had, almost all have had this problem.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »

I love it.  Not a great ham receiver for sure.  However. Its the best SWL/broad cast reciever I have.  Through this Studio monitor type speaker it has really nice sound!

I thought maybe using it for 75m or 160m AM.  It seems stable and i want the wide bandwidth.  I do have a hallicrafters S meter that I might want to try to install. This one is an an optional external S meter made by hallicrafters. I have no idea how to wire it in though. I would just snake clip leads out the back of the cab so I would not modify the unit.

Now I use an SX100 for 75 and for 40 AM with the champion.  I use an SX110 with the Globe king 500C.  

Clark
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »

I wll ask the guy I got it from if he has done this.  It has plenty of audio volume and the tone funtion works perfectly. I will have to check the caps.

Clark

Clark - unplug that SX-62 and check the capacitors associated with the tone control.  If one of 'em shorts it takes out 1/2 of the output transformer primary.  May have already happened... in which case you'll have a 6V6 that's running with plenty of screen voltage but not plate voltage.  Replace 'em while you're in there unless it's apparent that someone's done it recently.

Between a dozen SX-62s and SX-42s (electrically almost identical) I've had, almost all have had this problem.
WQ9E

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »

Good advice by JN, I have done the same cap replacement on all of mine.

Also, if you find it does not operate properly on FM (or quits working) then suspect the fixed mica caps in the discriminator transformer.  When these caps become leaky the distortion of FM will be very high and the discriminator transformer won't align properly.  This is another problem very common with the SX-42/62 family but at least it doesn't cause collateral damage.

When you align the discriminator, let the receiver warm up for at least 15 minutes.  The easiest way to tune FM broadcast stations on is to set it for AM and then tune for minimum recovered audio which results when tuned exactly to the station frequency (tune to either side from this point and you are "slope detecting").  Then switch to FM for excellent audio.  With the limiter/discriminator setup used in these receivers there will be three points for each FM station where the audio comes through but only the center point is the correct one and it is generally easiest to find this point with the detector set for AM.  The later ratio detector really simplified tuning for the non-technical folks.

Rodger WQ9E
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »

This one is so clean you can eat off the inside. I dont think it was ever used much. Probably sat in a box for years and years. All the tubes seem original also.

FM tuning is a bit sharp. But its not a problem. If I rock the tuning back and forth a bit, I can find center pretty easy. I will try AM tuning. Thanks!

I did notice that I can tune FM stations TWICE on the top dial.  For example. If I tune to 101.5FM it appears about that point on the dial.  If I tune real low around 70, I can get 101.5 again.  Kinda odd. Must be a harmonic.  The local jazz station also does this.

Am seems to be fine. I am only using a T type wire antenna flung over a ceiling fan in the game room. So no real antenna yet! 

I would carry it in here to the office/station but its so heavy. I dont think the table would like the weight.

Clark
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »

You're tuning the image. 

I second Rodger's assessment of the SM caps.  I had to replace *every* SM cap in *every* IF can in the last SX-42 I did.  Not as bad as it seems - the covers come right off and the caps are discrete components, as opposed to some IF xformers where the caps are integral to the base assembly.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 07:22:37 PM »

Ok. Image...  Time to read about FM some more. Never used a tube FM reciever like this. 

Clark
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 12:48:11 PM »

I was just wondering why they would have picked that receiver when he could have had a Collins, Super-Pro or TMC... perhaps the AM/FM was the thing?

Hard to think that thing would remain on freq with the constant vibration of the plane... although who knows... maybe it is fine.

WBear2GCR_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 10:23:31 PM »

I think it was for ease of use Bear.  These where installed in the press area of the plane and the 62A was the presidential RXer. It would have been hard to train these people to use a Real feature packed RXer. Where anyone could sit down at the 62a and use it.

Here are pictures of the Press station on the plane.

Clark

* press.jpg (127.26 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 476 times.)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 08:53:40 AM »

The 62A looks all boxed in.  I bet it really cooked.

Well a Collins or Super Pro wold be a lot more weight and power consumption, but if they had used an R-390 and just kept Pierre Salinger off the plane they would have been o.k.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 12:48:16 PM »

Can any of you guys help me figure out how to Wire in an S meter to the 62? I have a rare hallicrafters External S meter. It has its own table top enclosure. I did not get the documentation with it.

Clark
WQ9E

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 01:08:22 PM »

Clark,

The Hallicrafters bulletin for this can be found at: http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/hallicra/smeter/

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »

Thanks alot!    I just need to studie the correct location to install the two wires!  Its not very clear.

Clark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015