The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:44:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found The F***ing Noise Source!!!  (Read 3110 times)
WB2YGF
« on: May 10, 2009, 04:14:23 PM »

I haven't been on 40 in a long time because I have so much noise on that band.  Sometimes it decreases but I never could figure out why.  Today I happened to notice that the noise dropped from S8 to S3 when I heard the dryer in the adjacent laundry room turn ON.  After the dryer shut itself off, the noise went back up.   Hmmm.

After the drying was over for the day, I pulled the plug on the dryer and the noise went to practically S0 for the first time in recent memory!!!  It's a Frigidaire front loader.  I guess the electronic controls must put out a hellacious amount of noise especially with the dryer off.

Now I have to figure out if I can suppress it somehow. 

See you on 40.  Grin
w1vtp

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 04:48:59 PM »

I had a similar experience recently.  I had this machine like noise on 75.  Really loud.  I was ready to call the public service and complain but decided to check with my handy AM portable radio.  After DFing the noise, I discovered that it was a cheap-junk Philips, made in China DVD player.  Upon unplugging the piece of junk the noise went away!

Lesson learned -  check locally first before complaining

Al
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 05:54:19 PM »

yep, first thing you always do with noise is wire a receiver (this is one thing a JA rig is good for hi hi) to a car battery, and kill all the power to the whole house at the breaker panel.   If noise suddenly vanishes you are very lucky--you have control over it and only need to proceed to eliminate whatever was turned on, one by one.  If not, then it's time to drive around with the car radio on, then get an AM airband VHF receiver and small yagi and DF the source.  If you are really unlucky it will be coming from someone's house.   Now, if only I'd take my own advice  Smiley

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »

last time I had a F***ing Noise Source it was coming from the next room. Apparently an intermittent connection between someone's head and the bedstead was causing them to emit an out of phase cyclical oscillation with both AM and FM components covering a spectrum of roughly 300-900Hz.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »

Awesome! Glad you found it. HF is much more fun when you aren't besieged by local noise.
WB2YGF
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »

last time I had a F***ing Noise Source it was coming from the next room.
Not THAT kind of F***ing noise.  Grin
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »

Neighbor across the street had some sort of a Sears portable drill with a junk charger that trashed things from 40 M on down.  Nice fellow --- I think he tossed it or took it back, after I demonstrated what it was doing.  Been quiet in that department for a couple of years (knock on wood)

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015