The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:21:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nearfest  (Read 10985 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: May 01, 2009, 11:13:22 PM »

Pics from today. Good time. WX was OK and crowd was mellow
Saw a lot of friends. Back tomorrow AM. Anyone want a good deal on a nice SX-62?

* HT.jpg (22.81 KB, 343x401 - viewed 518 times.)

* HT2.jpg (51.19 KB, 640x480 - viewed 473 times.)

* HT3.jpg (55.29 KB, 640x480 - viewed 473 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 11:14:13 PM »

More pics

* HT4.jpg (78.9 KB, 640x480 - viewed 486 times.)

* HT5.jpg (73.31 KB, 640x480 - viewed 469 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 08:55:04 PM »

$7 for sausage was a bit much for a heart test
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »

Frank,

You took off just before the Tart arrived.
Broke her heart.

Carl

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »

A wonderful fest and the WX turned out to be great, especially on Saturday. Thanks to the group who organize and run the fest twice a year. Job well done and it's greatly appreciated. I had a wonderful time.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:42:12 PM »

Yes, Saturday was beautiful.
Started the day with pickled egg plant and a cup of coffee.
KB1IAW

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 06:53:48 AM »

Brent, W1IA and Joe, NM1V

Nick's (KG2IR) H-2

* W1IA + NM1V.jpg (342.75 KB, 2224x1252 - viewed 439 times.)

* Nick's H-2 004 copy.jpg (806.58 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 469 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 07:35:48 AM »

... about that JD40 front end loader,
"No deposit, no return."

Boy, did you guys have fun.
Best pix of the fester.

RICK  *W3RSW*
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »

Had 10X the fun and 1/10 the stress vs Dayton.   And I don't think I've laughed as much since the last NEARfest. 

Great seeing the gangstas up there.  And TNX to everyone who pitches in to run this Fine Business 'fester, and keeps it running smoothly.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 12:29:32 PM »

Brent, W1IA and Joe, NM1V

Nick's (KG2IR) H-2

Thanks Paul for the pics.  Now I know what Nick looks like and may not miss him next time.

Cheers, Alan
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »

Had 10X the fun and 1/10 the stress vs Dayton.   And I don't think I've laughed as much since the last NEARfest. 

Great seeing the gangstas up there.  And TNX to everyone who pitches in to run this Fine Business 'fester, and keeps it running smoothly.

Yep, I agree.  The NearFest operation appears to be run like an accurate clock.  The past problems with the old HossTraders appear to be licked - like garbage left, fires, drinking, rowdy noise until 2AM, etc.   Hats off to the Nearfest staff who have given Nearfest ham activities a hi hi FB reputation rather than being kicked out and axed to move every few years.

I noticed the trash patrols, security and fire scouts to be vigilant and courteous. Definately a first class run organization.

I find it quite ironic that the past Hoss Trader management often blamed the AMers for their woes - but now that management is run mostly by active AMers, the old problems no longer exist  -  and is a model for all to see.   Amazing.... Grin     

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 12:54:38 PM »

Yeshindeed....

Good points Tom, one and all. Having you there helps balance things out even more as well as keping us all in stitches.  Grin

Carl, as always it was great seeing you and enjoying some time there at the table with you. Somehow I missed the Radio Tart after your invitation, not sure how that happened? There's always October.

I just got done unpacking the truck a while ago. Will post some shots of my goodies snagged along with experiences at the 'fest later. Glad you made it for Friday!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 08:24:50 PM »

Tom,
As we all know many of the past problems were some of the AMers good thing those losers moved on.  I remember one fire set by a drunk almost 20 feet high right next to a barn. Then there was the blowing up rigs where horses were shown. It is nice to have a nice safe cool place to enjoy and glad to have it stay that way.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »

Those involved were much younger then. We're too tired to do that crazy stuff now.

Tom,
As we all know many of the past problems were some of the AMers good thing those losers moved on.  I remember one fire set by a drunk almost 20 feet high right next to a barn. Then there was the blowing up rigs where horses were shown. It is nice to have a nice safe cool place to enjoy and glad to have it stay that way.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 11:48:16 PM »

Tom,

I'm trying hard to look through my rose-colored AM glasses when remembering the distant past....  Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 12:22:42 AM »

I quite liked teh live band way back then. Let's see, it was me, HUZ, and W(B)3FJJ that went up, I think. But I don't remember the year exactly. maybe HuZ do.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 11:08:24 AM »

Early 90's but I couldn't say for sure. It was right after they left Deerfield and moved to Rochester. Oh, by the way, it rained.   Grin
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »

Early 90's but I couldn't say for sure. It was right after they left Deerfield and moved to Rochester. Oh, by the way, it rained.   Grin

Assuming it's the same trip, I remember you guys and the Derb stopping by here on the way back.  I gave Derb an old 750TL tube for the museum. It rode home on the rear car window shelf.  Derb, think of the date you worked at that repair place and gave the tube to them.  That should narrow down the time frame.

T

W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »

Guys, I think it was around 1993, I drove my fairly new 1993 VW fox, It was tight
squeeze with the Derb, Huz and all our camping gear.. I remember getting lost driving
from KNX place to JJ's and hoping he would find us at the only major intersection near by...
Highlight for me was visiting the KNX, JJ, EKV shacks nice set ups! Hamfester wasn't bad either.
Hope to make it up that way again sometime...
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »

October '92 was the last Deerfield Hosstraders, moving to Rochester (via Kingston?) the following year. The move to Hopkinton took place in the 1999-2001 timeframe, can't remember exactly. Was nice to get back to a place with some trees and overall character after Rainchester, but Deerfield still held a lot of fond memories for many of us. It's great to be back there, and great to see folks at the 'fest.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »

Rochester wasn't that the worst place in N.E. for WX.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »

Yea, Dino's shack was quite shocking!

Guys, I think it was around 1993, I drove my fairly new 1993 VW fox, It was tight
squeeze with the Derb, Huz and all our camping gear.. I remember getting lost driving
from KNX place to JJ's and hoping he would find us at the only major intersection near by...
Highlight for me was visiting the KNX, JJ, EKV shacks nice set ups! Hamfester wasn't bad either.
Hope to make it up that way again sometime...
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 09:17:55 PM »

Yea, Dino's shack was quite shocking!

Yep, you obviously remember the HV wire running around Dean's shack as well as the sparking going on on his desk.

His modified DX-100 had two? 813's in the final and the mini-ductor tank coil was sagging from the RF heat... Grin

On the side sat his early 1980's class D rig using old solid state technology, built long before mankind discovered radio waves ... Wink

T

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »

And white carpet!
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 07:15:30 AM »

I remember 93 was the year at Deerfield that I picked up my first R390A for 65 bucks if I remember correctly. Lugging one of those builds muscles. All downhill from there!

But now we are back to the original greatest site and the memories are great.

Frank - get out of that horsebarn!

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015