The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:54:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack employee feeds customer knuckle sandwich  (Read 9422 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: April 29, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »

A worker at Radio Shack was arrested for punching a customer.

Officers arrested 52-year-old James Knol of Eau Claire on Sunday night for disorderly conduct and battery.

According to the police report, 56-year-old Leigh Carey was trying to return something at the Radio Shack on Clairemont Avenue.

Carey told investigators Knol wouldn't let him, so he asked to talk to a manager.

That's when he says Knol started punching him and a witness called 911.

Knol is due in court May 19.

http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/43933122.html

* shack.jpg (4.9 KB, 200x120 - viewed 369 times.)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »

Radio Shack has a new slogan....

"You question us? We'll punch you in the mouth[/b]"

From Forbes magazine

Faces In The News
Radio Shack's Low Bar
Heather Struck, 04.22.09, 02:50 PM EDT
Julian Day's compensation is set according to what his peers make. Two of them were liquidated last year.

Who'd have figured that running Radio Shack, an ailing retailer, could be so lucrative? While many Americans have lost their jobs and the CEOs of some of America's largest public companies have had to make due with smaller bonuses -- or sometimes without any -- Julian C. Day, the 56-year-old chief executive of the struggling electronics retailer, made a bit more in 2008 than the year before.

Day, who was appointed to the Fort Worth, Texas-based consumer electronics retailer's top position in 2006, saw his compensation increase by nearly $1.0 million in 2008 to a total of $9.8 million in cash and stock options. He's a long way from exercising this year's options, which have an $18.52 exercise price, nearly double the current share price for Radio Shack. But he received, in addition to his $1.0 million salary, $1.2 million in "non-equity incentive" pay, which is proxy-speak for cash.

The consumer electronics company has been struggling to survive a consumer recession that has already sent rival Circuit City into liquidation. In February, Radio Shack reported a 39.0% decrease in its fourth-quarter earnings compared with a 6.0% drop in 2007. Troubles for other retailers might have helped Day in the pay department. Radio Shack pays its executives relative to how well the company performs against its peers, in this case a selection of 15 retailers that includes Circuit City and Linens 'n Things, and both were liquidated after seeking bankruptcy protection.

Day's 2007 pay didn't get him on the Forbeslist of highest paid CEOs, despite the company's spot in the S&P 500. The question today is whether Day can make the recovery work for Radio Shack. The company's precarious situation in the current economy is surrounded by debates over the take-home pay of executives who may or may not deliver results. Carl Icahn said recently in a Forbes piece that compensation may just be the tip of the iceberg in executive performance. (See "A Magna Carta For Corporate America.")

This year, Day received 1.0 million shares of Radio Shack stock, the first half of which was granted in March at $7.05 a share, 27.0% below today's $9.68 share value. The stock is already rising and is expected to gain more ground with the economy's recovery. These options are worth little now, but they may be stacking Day's cards for a windfall in the future.

"Assuming the economy will rebound in 2010, these CEOs are going to be making a lot of money," said David Silver, an analyst at Wall Street Strategies.

A Radio Shack representative would not comment further on the proxy filing.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:33:41 AM »

Let that be a lesson, don't try returning used fuses.
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »

LOL....I guess the Term "under pressure" would fit the bill here...LOL

Jack.

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:20:20 PM »

Radio Shack used to have the slogan "Questions? We have answers!"  Now it's more like "Questions? We have cellphones! Call someone who has the answers!"

AMI#1684
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »

Radio Shacks new Motto:

"The best in Mixed Martial Arts and Electronics"

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »

Carl,
Stealth babe ready for Deerfield
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:48:41 PM »

Hey Frank

She was asking if you would be there this time.

Will be heading north to the first brew pub this time tomorrow.

Hope to see you there.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »

I almost came to blows with a RS manager one evening when I showed up at 6 PM, after the regular electronics store in town was closed, to purchase a hand full of small electronics item I needed right away, total cost about $8.  I didn't have a charge card or cash with me, other than a pocket full of quarters I raked up off the table on the way out.  I was carrying more than enough money to pay for the item, but the kid at the check-out said he would have to check with the manager before he could take payment in quarters, and the manager said no, they didn't have anywhere to put them.  I raised all kinds of hell but they absolutely refused to accept the quarters and threatened to call the police.  I grabbed up the merchandise, tossed it all on the floor about 10 ft. away, as hard as I could, and walked out.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »

Obviously, this customer was a member of the "Free Battery" club,  and was getting his card redeemed.     Tongue

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »

" Obviously, this customer was a member of the "Free Battery" club,  and was getting his card redeemed.     Tongue "

Free Battery.... ..

the best one in a longgg time

klc

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »

haven' t been in an RS in 4 or so years.  Don't miss them one bit.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WB2YGF
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »

Radio Shack was originally an outlet of ALLIED ELECTRONICS many many years ago. Allied sold all types of electronics especially radio equipment.
Actually, Allied and Radio Shack were independant companies until Tandy purchased Allied in 1970 and merged it with Radio Shack.  In 1973 the federal court ordered Tandy to divest Allied from Radio Shack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_Radio

BTW, Tandy also owned Gavin Electronics which manufactured TV antennas, VHF/UHF amplifiers, splitters, and other related accessories.  I worked for Gavin from 1974 to 1975, first as an assembler, and later as an electronics technician where I tested/repaired/aligned the VHF/UHF amplifiers.  The best (and only) perk was my coveted Tandy 10% Employee Discount Card good at Radio Shack and Tandy Leathercraft. Grin
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »

Wait a minute. I thought the original Radio Shack was opened in Beantown by Bill Halligan? Then he opened a few more in the Boston area.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WB2YGF
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 09:13:34 AM »

Wait a minute. I thought the original Radio Shack was opened in Beantown by Bill Halligan? Then he opened a few more in the Boston area.
The company was started as Radio Shack in 1921 in Boston, Massachusetts, by two brothers, Theodore and Milton Deutschmann who wanted to provide equipment for the cutting-edge field of amateur, or ham, radio. Theodore and Milton Deutschmann opened a one-store retail and mail-order operation in the heart of downtown Boston on Brattle Street, near the site of the Boston Massacre. They chose the name "Radio Shack," which was a term for the small, wooden structure that housed a ship's radio equipment. The Deutschmanns thought the name was appropriate for a store that would supply the needs of radio officers aboard ships, as well as "ham" radio operators.

The company issued its first catalog in the early 1940s and then entered the high-fidelity music market. In 1954, Radio Shack began selling its own private-label products under the brand name Realist, but was subsequently sued and consequently changed the brand name to Realistic. After expanding to nine stores plus an extensive mail-order business, the company fell on hard times in the 1960s. Radio Shack was essentially bankrupt, but Charles Tandy saw the potential of Radio Shack and retail consumer electronics and bought the company for $300,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RadioShack
WB2YGF
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »

Yeah that’s right, it was "Allied Electronics" that had the "Allied Radio" stores until the merger with "Tandy" then it became "Allied Radio Shack". Basically the same thing. "Allied Radio" became "Allied Radio Shack" in the end, but still the outlet store for “Allied Electronics”.
From my perspective, it was just the same Radio Shack with a name change, back and fourth.  AFAIK, there were never any Allied Electronics retail stores in NJ.  There was just Layfayette, Radio Shack, and some independent distributors. 

One of these independent distributors was Newtone Electronics in Bloomfield.  They had a huge warehouse (candy store for me) full of surplus electronics parts open to the public.  Then they got into the replacement part business as NTE using the same numbering system as the (Philips) ECG replacement parts.  Eventually they purchased the assets of ECG.  I don't know If they still maintain a retail "store".

http://www.nteinc.com/Web_pgs/about_NTE.html
WB2YGF
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 11:00:05 AM »

Radio Shack also used to have associate franchisees.  Crowleys General Store in Whitehouse, NJ was a large hardware store that also carried Radio Shack stuff.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »

Yeah that’s right, it was "Allied Electronics" that had the "Allied Radio" stores until the merger with "Tandy" then it became "Allied Radio Shack". Basically the same thing. "Allied Radio" became "Allied Radio Shack" in the end, but still the outlet store for “Allied Electronics”.
From my perspective, it was just the same Radio Shack with a name change, back and fourth.  AFAIK, there were never any Allied Electronics retail stores in NJ.  There was just Layfayette, Radio Shack, and some independent distributors. 

One of these independent distributors was Newtone Electronics in Bloomfield.  They had a huge warehouse (candy store for me) full of surplus electronics parts open to the public.  Then they got into the replacement part business as NTE using the same numbering system as the (Philips) ECG replacement parts.  Eventually they purchased the assets of ECG.  I don't know If they still maintain a retail "store".

http://www.nteinc.com/Web_pgs/about_NTE.html

Looks like Newtone (NTE) no longer has a walk up retail activity as they had years ago. They also now only sell through distributors.
Here's their location which is what it was years ago so they haven't moved:
NTE Electronics, Inc. Bloomfield, New Jersey
44 Farrand St, Bloomfield, NJ 07003
Note: Back in the old days, their industrial division was located upstairs from the retail "electronic candy store".

Now here is one of their NJ distributors:
Solid State Inc.
46 Farrand St.
Bloomfield, NJ 07003

I suspect there is more then just a casual connection between these two locations.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB2YGF
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »

There was a particular Radio Shack I used to like to go to that had a nerdy looking ham as a manager.  He was real friendly, but I always wondered why kids seemed to hang out with him.  Then I heard he was arrested for child abuse.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »

Actually, Allied and Radio Shack were independant companies until Tandy purchased Allied in 1970 and merged it with Radio Shack.  In 1973 the federal court ordered Tandy to divest Allied from Radio Shack.

In the early 70s, the stores were called "Allied Radio Shack". 

My first 'real' job out of High School in Chicago.

Actually, the merger had possibilities; we could get and sell anything at Radio Shack stores that Allied Radio had in stock. Tubes, ham gear, CB and Ham antennas, accessories like Vibroplex bugs, and any electronics part you needed.

The manager of my store was a politically incorrect, crusty, chain-smoking guy named Bernie. Let me stock up on ham stuff, let me have a display case and wall in the back of the store. I really got his ham business going, to his surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015