The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:12:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NOTICE: Possible FCC Activity in the "window"  (Read 17106 times)
KA2QFX

Mark

« on: April 22, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »

Members of the AM community,

I have become aware that the FCC has received a complaint regarding the operations of the Marconi Net, and other SSB groups, the operate in the “AM window” with disregard for interference to ongoing AM operations. 

This complaint has been responded to personally by Ms. Laura Smith stating that pertinent (named) parties will be contacted for further discussion. 

The inference here is that the AM window may be subject to some scrutiny by FCC personnel.   Please act accordingly. 

I can confirm this as NOT rumor. This posting serves as notification only. I do not care to discuss the matter so please do not reply to ME. I will not answer, this is all I know at this time.   If I learn more I’ll post a follow-up. 

Very 73 one and all,
Mark
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:30:49 PM »

No-one has prior claim to any frequency.  If the alleged offenders have actually been monitored causing undeniably deliberate interference to AM operation or openly admitting to the same, that's one thing.  But complaining to the FeeCee merely because someone is being a PITA by operating slopbucket within the "AM Window", without specifically violating any section of the Part 97 rules, is likely to backfire.  This sounds exactly like the kind of whining that you would hear from No-Balls and crew about AM, and is probably the very last thing the FeeCee wants to be bothered with.

If the FeeCee were to enforce the AM Window by citing slopbucketeers for operating within that frequency range, they could just as easily cite AM'ers for operating anywhere else.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ab3al
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:49:27 PM »

actually i think the complaint has to do with the fact that at net time they just fire up on 3872 even if there is an ongoing qso. it doesnt seem to matter to them if its am or ssb.  a lot of the time members of the net just zero beet the am qso and blow into the mic. 

according to irb these folks are child molesters
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:10:53 AM »

The best tactic in that case would be the old Timtron "Exit stage left" tactic.  QSY down about 1.5 kHz.  If the slopbucketeers follow you down, QSY again, until you are about 3 kHz down from the original frequency.  Then slip back up to the original frequency.  If the slopbucketeers  follow you  back up, the FCC would consider that proof that the interference was deliberate.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 01:14:21 AM »

Possible Activity eeh....hmmm..that's interesting....why on our First Tour of Duty would the young Miss go right into a foray with a mode that is given little space..Little Peace...and is harrassed constantly...I wonder......is it possible we didn't review the Last Holder of that seats Records..?...

Well the Metal of the Chosen will be tried here, on both sides Take Great Care in walking the Young Miss through the ropes of what shes getting into...

I knew something was up I heard but I didn't think it was on the Scope this quick...I figured the Anti-ents..would try something...Ah well...All the time Never a break....OK we gona go after the audio guru's on Slop Bucket too Mam....Possible Width Issues..that's usually next....

Unbelievable...

Jack.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:59:11 AM »

Geez, Mark... could you have a worse poker face?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 03:01:59 AM »

Possible Activity eeh....hmmm..that's interesting....why on our First Tour of Duty would the young Miss go right into a foray with a mode that is given little space..Little Peace...and is harrassed constantly...I wonder......is it possible we didn't review the Last Holder of that seats Records..?...

Well the Metal of the Chosen will be tried here, on both sides Take Great Care in walking the Young Miss through the ropes of what shes getting into...

I knew something was up I heard but I didn't think it was on the Scope this quick...I figured the Anti-ents..would try something...Ah well...All the time Never a break....OK we gona go after the audio guru's on Slop Bucket too Mam....Possible Width Issues..that's usually next....

Unbelievable...

Jack.

WHAT  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 05:47:22 AM »

Members of the AM community,

I have become aware that the FCC has received a complaint regarding the operations of the Marconi Net, and other SSB groups, the operate in the “AM window” with disregard for interference to ongoing AM operations. 

This complaint has been responded to personally by Ms. Laura Smith stating that pertinent (named) parties will be contacted for further discussion. 

The inference here is that the AM window may be subject to some scrutiny by FCC personnel.   Please act accordingly. 

I can confirm this as NOT rumor. This posting serves as notification only. I do not care to discuss the matter so please do not reply to ME. I will not answer, this is all I know at this time.   If I learn more I’ll post a follow-up. 

Very 73 one and all,
Mark

I heard this too.
Sources reveal pertains to possible action regarding deliberate interference to ongoing AM qso's by ssb groups
such as the "Marconi Show" and their signature overdriven amplifiers distortion (intentional splattering?)
WB2YGF
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:32:55 AM »

according to irb these folks are child molesters
Too funny
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 01:06:42 PM »

I actually listened to the Marconi Net last night, 4/22, for about two hours as I was doing some bench work. During that time, the Net experienced deliberate interference at least a dozen times. There were cat calls, dead carriers, whistling, music, someone playing the harmonica, nondescript remarks, and other deliberate interference. During the entire time, the Net never wavered from acting in a professional or sensible manner.

Unfortunately, there are also times I can't say I hear the same reactions from some AM "roundtables" that happen to be operating in the same frequency area. Actually, there are times when listening to some AM "QSO's (if you want to call them that), that it's embarrassing to even be associated with the AM mode.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »

And you know for a fact all this interference was caused by AM operators, Pete?

I'd also like to know why a group of AMers expressing frustration at deliberate interference makes them the bad guys.

Don't be so quick to throw AM under the bus.
ka3zlr
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 02:17:42 PM »

Unbelievable...

Jack.

What Hell.... Angry
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »

And you know for a fact all this interference was caused by AM operators, Pete?

I'd also like to know why a group of AMers expressing frustration at deliberate interference makes them the bad guys.

Don't be so quick to throw AM under the bus.

Never said that. Read the post.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 06:03:09 PM »

The Marconi Net can be arrogant and they seem to think they own whatever frequency they choose to operate on, but OTOH I have heard plenty of deliberate interference to them as well, although not at all unlikely to be self-instigated (mostly sounded like SSB to me).

Whatever happened, whoever started it, I just don't think this has become serious enough a problem to go running to Mommy just yet.  We might get more than what we asked for.

Look what happened with the 7290 No-Traffic net when they whined to the FCC about Ashtabula Bill.  I'm not sure exactly how the FeeCee ultimately reacted to their complaint, but I notice now that whenever there is an ongoing AM QSO on 7290 when they start up their net, they QSY down the band 3-4 kHz until the frequency becomes clear.

- - -
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 06:21:21 PM »

You're in good company, Pete - Babelfish couldn't figure it out either. No option in the 'from....to....' box.   Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WB2YGF
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 07:06:07 PM »

I dunno, the few (and only) times I listened to the Marconi Net about 2 months ago, I was very impressed with the friendly, professional way it was run.

That said, a few times is not nearly enough data points to form an opinion on the interference issue.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »

The Marconi Net can be arrogant and they seem to think they own whatever frequency they choose to operate on, but OTOH I have heard plenty of deliberate interference to them as well, although not at all unlikely to be self-instigated (mostly sounded like SSB to me).

Whatever happened, whoever started it, I just don't think this has become serious enough a problem to go running to Mommy just yet.  We might get more than what we asked for.

Look what happened with the 7290 No-Traffic net when they whined to the FCC about Ashtabula Bill.  I'm not sure exactly how the FeeCee ultimately reacted to their complaint, but I notice now that whenever there is an ongoing AM QSO on 7290 when they start up their net, they QSY down the band 3-4 kHz until the frequency becomes clear.

This is the type of thing any federal agency that deals with administrative law will do.  When they investigate any complaint they are bound by rules to apply the law of the service equally to all parties.  So if someone who has the complaint filed against them violates the rules, whoa to them.  If the complaining party violates any rule they are in trouble as well.

The FCC, nor any agency of the federal government, can play favorites nor prosecute only one party when individuals of both violate the rules.  This is a good argument to operate properly every time you flip the switch.
ka3zlr
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 07:44:18 PM »

Gee Nads I Babbled...... Cool

Kinda like the complaint eh....Babble.

Makes me think so.

Jack.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »

Of course, this also comes a ham who says "just turn the wick up and ignore them". "them" meaning the potential interfering party whoever they might be.  Grin

WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 09:38:52 PM »

Well put Pete.
and running to mommy not a good idea.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 10:12:34 PM »

Of course, this also comes a ham who says "just turn the wick up and ignore them". "them" meaning the potential interfering party whoever they might be.  Grin

Well, yes, that's it exactly.  If you can't hack it in the radio jungle, don't go crying to mama FCC.  They just might monitor the frequency and say it's 6 one, half-dozen the other. But don't ever let on over the air that jammers are  bothering you.  Do that, and you have just made their day, given them exactly what they were looking for.

Over-the-air squabbles amongst hams probably impress the FCC just about as much as over-the-air squabbles on CB.

- - -
W7XXX
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »

It is all a joke! The ARRL or FCC could give a fat rats tail about mediating interference. I seriously doubt anyone in an offical FCC capacity is wasting their time to monitor interference either on the SSB or AM mode. The AM "window" idea has no legal standing and there is no such thing as gentlemen agreements anymore.

Nets are just excuses for trying to claim frequencies. Claiming AM windows is another attempt to lay claim to a frequency. Making a case claiming willful interference is extremely difficult and to document with recording, etc is a waste of time. The FCC just doesn't care. Ham radio is just a hobby anymore and the FCC has bigger fish to fry that whether some slopbucketeer interfered with an AM qso that wasn't an emergency communications.

Most so called AM'ers I know also operate SSB. They finish their AM fix and then go to their SSB net "handling traffic" fooling themselves into thinking they are providing a community emergency service. How many here are all AM and have no SSB gear? Very few I bet. So how do we determine what makes one an AM'er or a slopbucketeer?  Is it the flipping of the switch on a ricebox that divides these adversaries?

I think many who pride themselves on being AM'ers are suffering serious BI-Polar disorder and some borderline schizophrenic. They whine about the SSB'ers while in the sacred AM window, then when they go down frequency to their SSB group, they whine about the AM'ers coming down there interfering with their group that has used that frequency since Moses parted the red sea. "Why don't they stay in the AM window," they cry.

It would be nice if no interference existed, but it is part of ham radio and now with a majority of ham radio operators of all modes having degraded their manners and consideration for others to that lower than a billy goat in rut so as to keep up with the FCC deregulations and their care less about ham radio attitude ... well welcome to CB. CB'ers in the late 50's had more manners and love for AM radio than the average ham does today. Then no license required, introduction of rice boxes, and FCC washing it's hands of the whole CB mess. It is still against the law to willfully interfere with a CB chat ... I bet the FCC has monitors looking into this and probably the same dedicated G men and women monitoring the SSB/AM problem eager to make a bust.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 11:01:10 PM »

How many here are all AM and have no SSB gear? Very few I bet.

Sign me up, there is no permanent SSB gear in my home shack.

I do own a Yaesu FT-100D all-mode mini-rig, but it stays in the pickup truck.
If I need SSB, I'll bring it in the house, hook it up to a car battery and the 30L-1. The last time that happened was 3 years ago.

When I need to work someone on SSB, I just transmit using one of the AM rigs. More often than not, they don't have a clue that I'm running AM until I tell them.

Works fine.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 11:23:13 PM »

How many here are all AM and have no SSB gear? Very few I bet.

Sign me up, there is no permanent SSB gear in my home shack.

I do own a Yaesu FT-100D all-mode mini-rig, but it stays in the pickup truck.
If I need SSB, I'll bring it in the house, hook it up to a car battery and the 30L-1. The last time that happened was 3 years ago.

When I need to work someone on SSB, I just transmit using one of the AM rigs. More often than not, they don't have a clue that I'm running AM until I tell them.

Works fine.

He didn't say permanent. You have SSB gear even it's a FT-100  Grin

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »

My S 38 has a bfo...

OH NO   i'm a ssb'er!!

* Mr ssbill.jpg (3.13 KB, 91x126 - viewed 395 times.)

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015