The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:22:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins R390A What are my options for a cabinet?  (Read 14965 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« on: April 11, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »

Hi guys.
   I recently got the R390a up and running. What are my options to buy a new or used cabinet to house this thing? I am not comfortable leaving it on the table open. I have pets and people in and around the station.

Great reciever so far!

Clark
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 08:16:31 PM »

Clark, I moved this thread from the Handbook section (which is intended for completed projects) into the Tech forum where it will get more exposure.

Just about any 19" rack will work; the R-390 isn't as deep as most radios so it's pretty easy to find a cabinet at a hamfest or eBay.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »

I looked all over ebay and various Google sites. ALso searched two hamfests in Arizona. I cant seem to find something that will work. Maybe someone will respond with some ideas that will aid my search!

THanks

Clark
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 08:58:51 PM »

First Google hit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Collins-R-390A-R-390-Original-CY-979A-Cabinet-R-389-_W0QQitemZ150337722732QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090409?IMSfp=TL090409152001r32727

2nd Google hit:
http://www.qsl.net/wb7dyw/  Down to about middle of page

Another Google hit; Fair Radio:
http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=viewitem&item=5448

Another ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMMOND-R-390A-RECEIVER-RACK-CABINET-R-388-R-390-NEW_W0QQitemZ350186271456QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item350186271456&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Cabinets for Hammarlund SP-600 will work, along with, I believe, cabinets for a HQ-129X.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:09:52 PM »

Thats why I like this forum!

Thanks for taking the time to help me Pete. I searched eby by typing rack cabinet, 19 inch rack, R390a and nothing came up.  Looks like I have a few options!  I have a nice SP600 that needs a case also. Maybe I will order the hammund case.

Clark
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »

Clark,
Someone recently told me that Heathkit DX-100 and Apache cabinets work very well providing your prepared to do some simple modifications to the cabinet.  You will need to drill and tap new hole locations in the front flange on those cabinets.  In addition you will probably need to remove some of the sheet metal on the back of the cabinet to allow access to all the rear connections on the 390.  I have not tried these myself, but I was told that what's required to make the cabinet compadible.
Good Luck,
Joe, W3GMS      

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 09:23:08 PM »

The SP-600 is deeper than the R-390 and will require a larger cabinet.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »

I am aware. I have an SP600 in the Cabinet in the other room. But it needs work. My other SP600 does not have a case. Some of the cases listed like the hammond mention the SP600 will fit. It must be the deaper cabinet. I am going to test the R390A out on the air tonight. I am on 3870 now. No traffic yet. If it works like it does on the broadcast bands, I will order the case up.

Clark
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 11:19:39 PM »

A number of years ago someone on of the QSL.net reflector e-mail lists negotiated with Premier, a one time build of about 250 of the Premier cabinets for the SB-600 and R-390's (yes, cabinet is deeper then required but you can keep food warm back there or store your happy money).

The cabinet looked similar to this. At one time I had a picture of a SP-600 inside of these actual cabinets stored somewhere, but can't put my finger on it. I also have two of these purchased cabinets still in their boxes. No, don't ask.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 11:30:42 PM »

I think this R390A needs some work.  It sounds incredible on the broadcast band. However, On 160 or 75 meters, when someone is 40DB in hard, I still hear Lighting crashes and other band noise. I hope that makes sense.. With my Hallicrafters, Its noisey when someone is not keyed, but when they lock down a big carrier, There is no noise.. Only the person talking.  With the R390a, I hear the person and see the carrier, but also hear all the band noise and static with them.

I went through "most" of the alignment settings tonight. Everything is spot on. I only had to adjust the BFO clamp as it was off 1 mark. The only other thing that is off is that the ANT Trim always peaks at -4 and never 0. I have not adjusted it as I have not figured out how. All the IF and other trimmers and slugs where dead on by the book. Maybe its just me not being used to the R390A?  Maybe the band is just horrible. We are in a small storm with rain. 

I will give it a few days to see how it plays out. The other thing that really anoys me is that the Hallicrafters "showed the CHampion 300As beat at 50DB over on the scale. This made it easy to Zero beat the Transmitter to the reciever. The R390A cannot even hear the Champions Beat!  If the band is DEAD soft, I can just make out the tone. Otherwise, You can never beat the Champ to the R390A.

I saw the premier cases. I found one for sale. I think I like the Hammond one better from the pictures. The pic you posted pete sure looks nice though!

Clark
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »

Does the noise drop when you try a 4 or 8 kHz filter setting. The R390A is very sensitive when set up properly. The best thing to do is put it on a good calibrated signal generator.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:19:21 AM »

True, if it's opened up too wide, it does sound nice but picks up a lot of crud from the sides not normally heard. 4 and 8 kcs get the most use, which is why the 4kcs filter is often the one that goes if it isn't already dead. 16 kcs is a nice setting, but it's tough to find a time quiet enough to really enjoy it with any regularity. Winter comes to mind.  Shocked

A number of years ago someone on of the QSL.net reflector e-mail lists negotiated with Premier, a one time build of about 250 of the Premier cabinets for the SB-600 and R-390's (yes, cabinet is deeper then required but you can keep food warm back there or store your happy money).

That was Cal, N6....YKR? Think he's here in NC now. The cabinets I saw came broken down and you had to assemble them with screws. Are yours like that Pete? I know there were a couple batches put together.

The original or 'correct' cabinet for the 390A is the CY-979A. Works for the 390 also, though if memory serves me correctly, its cabinet was the CY-917. Reportedly the last of the NOS surplus supply of 979s hit the market a few months back, for around $550 shipped. Saw an older Taffet example on epay last week, spray painted black, with shockmounts, for under $100 last time I looked. But if any cabinet will do, as John says - there's plenty to choose from. SP-600 and RA-17C are another matter entirely.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 01:41:04 PM »

That was Cal, N6....YKR? Think he's here in NC now. The cabinets I saw came broken down and you had to assemble them with screws. Are yours like that Pete? I know there were a couple batches put together.

The original or 'correct' cabinet for the 390A is the CY-979A. Works for the 390 also, though if memory serves me correctly, its cabinet was the CY-917. Reportedly the last of the NOS surplus supply of 979s hit the market a few months back, for around $550 shipped. Saw an older Taffet example on epay last week, spray painted black, with shockmounts, for under $100 last time I looked. But if any cabinet will do, as John says - there's plenty to choose from. SP-600 and RA-17C are another matter entirely.

Yep, it was Cal. They were finished cabinets; no assembly required. Just add feet. First batch sent out from Premier were single boxed and heard there was some damage on a few. For the second batch, they double boxed them. I got one from each batch and both came in fine shape.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 09:00:58 PM »

Just an update on my 390A. 

I found two dead 6BA6s.  Said Sechal Carlson or something close to that.. THey measured just 5 on the TV7 checker.  Replaced with full test US made 6BA6s.  Also found one dead 12au7. It was checking at 20. The new one is 90.  Reciever seems much better now.  The Ham bands are dead here.. Literly nothing on any band.  I will have to wait until the bands pick up to test it out.

Clark
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »

A small (4FT) rack on the desk, if there is room, would be an option too. If you are worried about open or blank panel space bove the R390, you could mount a bandscope or modulation/I.F. scope, a speaker and audio amp, a RF tuner or preselector, AC line voltage monitor, clock, all kinds of things.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K3ZS

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 09:58:38 AM »

Go to Musicians Friend website, search for rack mounted cases.    There are a bunch of different types.   Some slanted desk mounts, shock mounted, transportable, whatever you need.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »

I like that hammond cab. The paint looks almost identical to the color I wound up painting JN's KW matchbox. one of those cabs with a matching
front panel shore would shore be a purty foundation for a new Derb HB rig. A 4-125 would fit in there just right, and another one would make a FB home for a matching 811A modulator.

(dreaming, cant do that kind of metalwork anymore....)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015