The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:48:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend AM linear  (Read 101293 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2009, 05:49:08 PM »

I don't have any trouble opening it.  That's unusual. Most of the time I am the one who gets an error message while everyone else can open the link.  See if this works:

1. Go to http://www.amforever.com/

2. Click on the "Contents"  link to the left of the page

3. Scroll down to "Related History" near the bottom of the page.

4. Click on "The New KFI Los Angeles, CA 1932 - (2.53 pdf)" ,the last link on the list.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »

That works Don.  I think it's some sort of restriction from the AM Forever site.  I noticed from Internet Explorer, one cant right click and save most of those files on AM Forever, but I believe when I was using Firefox from my Linux machine I could.  A little silly because once it's loaded in the PDF viewer, I can save the file anyway.

AMI#1684
KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »

Bruce,

Yes, a DEIC420, already ordered.  Crap!

But thanks very much for the offer!
Of course the new rig under construction will use IXDD414s

Thanks Bruce,
73, Karl
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2009, 07:25:14 PM »

It is a typical amateur radio setup - let's see how much power we can get out of this thing. Not much different from the OBs dipping their 01's and 45's in oil so they could PB them.

I think many/most of the Class E crapouts have to do with the fact that most/many are driving the finals with riceboxes, and transients are frying the gates.  A better approach, IMHO, is the holistic complete xmitter from VFO-->final.

Few things are absolutely bulletproof anyway  Grin
KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2009, 08:48:50 PM »

let's see how much power we can get out of this thing

Well, for a class E rig, this is an easy question, even for a guy like me that is light on 'theory'.

Each FQA11N90 MOSFET is good for 50W, so a two-module final with 4 MOSFETs each (8 MOSFETs total) can handle 400watts carrier. Bigger rigs scale accordingly, at 50W per FQA11N90.

Nothing complicated here.  Class E rigs can be built from QIX designs without much more builder-experience than a heathkit.  Anyone can sound great on AM by taking on the task of building one.  There is plenty of help available from other builders, just check out Steve's site: http://www.classeradio.com/

73, Karl

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2009, 09:34:34 PM »

It is a typical amateur radio setup - let's see how much power we can get out of this thing. Not much different from the OBs dipping their 01's and 45's in oil so they could PB them.

I never tried that, but back in 1959, my first plate modulator, the driver stage was a single 6AQ5.  After about a minute the tube would heat up and the audio would become all distorted.  I took the whole driver stage, which was built on a separate chassis about 6" X 6", and turned it upside down so that the 6AQ5 envelope was submerged into a glass of water.  That kept it cooled off enough to make an entire transmission before the audio started to go to crap.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2009, 10:32:48 PM »

Wow! And some guys are running 24 FETS.

let's see how much power we can get out of this thing

Well, for a class E rig, this is an easy question, even for a guy like me that is light on 'theory'.

Each FQA11N90 MOSFET is good for 50W, so a two-module final with 4 MOSFETs each (8 MOSFETs total) can handle 400watts carrier. Bigger rigs scale accordingly, at 50W per FQA11N90.

Nothing complicated here.  Class E rigs can be built from QIX designs without much more builder-experience than a heathkit.  Anyone can sound great on AM by taking on the task of building one.  There is plenty of help available from other builders, just check out Steve's site: http://www.classeradio.com/

73, Karl

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2009, 10:09:43 AM »

Don
I'm forbidden too
Is this a secret NASA web site?
Fred

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2009, 01:49:42 AM »

There is a discussion on what to do with a 400Hz 15KVA diesel generator over on steelsoldiers.com . It made me think of those modulators in the class E rigs. Just beef up to the right strappage and feed a 60Hz signal. The genset could be rectified to +/-160VDC and the PWM would do the rest. I really like those designs, would be about impossible with hollow state. Very progressive engineering!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015