The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:54:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamvention Flea Market Vendor's New Tools  (Read 8944 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: March 23, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »

With last year's major screwups behind them, I see that the Hamvention Committee has instituted a number of new processing tools to expedite flea market vendor processing for acquiring spaces for this year's Dayton Hamvention.

One of the neat tools is the "Tracker" map for the entire flea market area. Now, rather then sending endless e-mails to determine if you got the spaces you wanted you can just check the "Tracker" map. I don't know how often they update the map, but when I checked late last week, there was only a handful of "blue" booked spaces identified. Today, there are a lot more. I suspect "booked" means your application was accepted and approved for the spaces requested, we have your money; now just wait for your tickets. The "green" confirmed spaces indicate spaces held by vendors last year or possibly the previous year and/or haven't yet been accepted and approved for this year. Since things were so screwed up last year these spaces probably are in a state of flux until they turn to "blue". You can mouse over the spaces of interest and a pop-up will indicate whose name or company appears there.

https://tracker.hamvention.org/webrental/DARA/Contents/LayoutPanel.aspx?Id=17&Name=&EId=18&Page=Index&CategoryID=FleaMarket

Note: If the actual Tracker map doesn't come up directly when you click on the above link, with the page that does come up, just scroll down to the bottom and click on "View Floor Plan".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »

We gave up on Dayton when all the website said was "Coming soon..." on all of the pages, and nobody would answer emails.  Mindful of the massive screwups last year, and the fact that one of our group is now posted overseas, we decided we're not gonna go this year.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »

Many of us kept in the loop by subscribing to the Yahoo Groups: Hamvention
hamvention@yahoogroups.com This was started last March or April after things really started to fall apart. Several of the Committee members subscribe to the Group so information there is flowing on a regular basis.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:14:31 PM »

Those guys are doing their best to kill that fest.
wb2fof

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »

Dayton's all set ! Website is fine, even the new mapping tracker ! There's plenty of spaces !
JN, get the @$$ in gear ! I'm too used to stopping and breathing that "sausage grill smoke" to get a buzz, at your space!
Get to that other fest', BTW. Timonimum, I think.  My Jr. will be there !

FOF

Bob
kb3nqd
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 07:52:30 AM »

Dayton's all set ! Website is fine, even the new mapping tracker ! There's plenty of spaces !

I suspect there are plenty of spaces because a lot of people aren't going this year...I am still waiting for the refund K8UD promised me when I downgraded from 4 to 2 spaces.  It's not a huge deal but that is $180 that I could've used for something else (like another boatanchor).  I sent several emails to the committee asking for my money back..nothing, thought about lodging a complaint with the BBB but decided it wasn't worth my time. 

Steve is dead on, DARA/Hamvention organizers are doing their level best to kill that fester. 

All this said I may go anyway since I promised to visit family that weekend who live within 25 miles of the fester.  If I need a refund this year they will give it back to me in cash...not a promise to credit back to my credit/debit card.

NEARFest based on all the reports people are sending back seems to be taking over Dayton's spot as the preeminent Fester in the US but that's just my .02  The Dayton Hamvention is going to have to work hard to win back some of it's mojo and its not going to happen overnight.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:47:50 AM »

There were lots of empty spaces the last few years. The condition of the Hara Arena mirrors the condition of the fest.

I won't be going this year. Will probably hit the spring NEARFest. Better fest, more fun, far better location, less expensive and Tim Tron runs the PA system. What's not to like?!?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 12:30:10 PM »

Although it's to early to tell, I really think the Hamvention Committee members are trying their best to right a lot past year(s) wrongs this year. They still have a lot of making up to do and I suspect it won't be a 100% perfect even this year. My understanding is that space applications are coming in on a steady stream, local hotel prices seem to be down, and gas is a heck of a lot cheaper this year then last year.

Of course, one's determination of a "better" fest is probably somewhat dependent on your reason for going to the fest. i.e. casual vendor, serious vendor, serious customer(needs specific stuff), casual customer (wanders aimlessly for two days-maybe buys a connector), the don't care(there to drink beer, sleep in the grass or under the truck, group hug, tell tall tales using undefined English, etc.)

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 02:52:40 PM »

Will probably hit the spring NEARFest. Better fest, more fun, far better location, less expensive and Tim Tron runs the PA system. What's not to like?!?

Come on up and bring JN in May for Nearfest.  I'll even take youse guys sailing on Thurs, WX permitting. You sit in the front to raise the sail, JN in the middle to drink beer, me in the back to steer and Yaz anywhere he pleases to bark orders..

Shushi flesh.  Saki smooth.

No heavy Yagi carry this time... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 03:00:14 PM »

There were lots of empty spaces the last few years. The condition of the Hara Arena mirrors the condition of the fest.

I won't be going this year. Will probably hit the spring NEARFest. Better fest, more fun, far better location, less expensive and Tim Tron runs the PA system. What's not to like?!?

Just think how much nicer it would be if they would put in new rest rooms and concession areas in that building!  I have been going to Dayton for 40 years and those places have been terrible as long as I can remember, not to mention the parking in a mudhole.  And....Wow!...if it rains and everyone tries to pile inside at the same time....now I know what sardines feel like!  Sure wish they could move the Hamvention to a better venue, but I guess it is hard to imagine what it would be like anywhere else.  It is certainly a great place to find "stuff" and to visit with old friends.  We have always enjoyed tremendously the opportunity to get together with folks we talk to on the air and have great "eyeball QSOs".  The flea market is really a goldmine, just waiting to be prospected.  As the saying goes:  "If you can't find it at Dayton, it probably doesn't exist.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »

There are plenty of serious vendors and buyers at NEARFest and any other fest I've ever attended. Dayton surely does not have the corner on these. Conversely, I've seen plenty of non-serious buyers and sellers at Dayton too. Other than being big, Dayton has little going for it.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 11:25:53 PM »

If I understand, $90 per table.. yowch. I guess they got to keep the riffraff out.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »

If I understand, $90 per table.. yowch. I guess they got to keep the riffraff out.

$70 per space (non corner) for three days; roughly $23.33 per day. Corner space $100
Flea market vendors come from all over the country.

Serious vendors view Dayton as their money shot in the arm and/or the place to highlight or introduce their new products. In my opinion, places like Nearfest are a tiny speck in the overall yearly hamfest calendar. Regionally, they are probably considered useful, but really don't command any nationwide amateur interest.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 10:01:27 PM »

But we love 'em.  ..as entertainment and socialization as well as 'useful.'

Used to help in the Tioga Co., Pa. fest years ago at the fairgrounds. Always had interesting boat anchor stuff and parts galore.  Traded for a Robot sstv monitor one year. Ah, youth.

RICK  *W3RSW*
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 08:50:54 AM »

Hamfests are supposed to be fun.  If the hamfest administration stresses vendors out before hand with all kinds of unknowns and hare-brained rules, it tends to put a wet blanket on things. 

The fact that no apparent maintenance has been done on Hara Arena or the parking lot since 1968 is a downer also.  I remember several years ago the caretaker's dogs escaped from their pen just across from our space, and I had a puppy on my lap for several hours until the owner could be found.  QTF - OVER??

To me the fun quotient is a lot higher at NEARfest.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 09:58:05 AM »

Hamfests are supposed to be fun. 

In my opinion, it depends on what side of the table you are on.

The fact that no apparent maintenance has been done on Hara Arena or the parking lot since 1968 is a downer also.  I remember several years ago the caretaker's dogs escaped from their pen just across from our space, and I had a puppy on my lap for several hours until the owner could be found.  QTF - OVER??

Actually some repaving of the flea market area was done in 2006 and/or 2007. Don't know what work, if any, was done inside the building.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »

'They' repaved the Rockchester fest... maybee thats why they moved?Huh

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015