The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:35:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best limiter compressor for <$100?  (Read 4519 times)
WB2YGF
« on: March 13, 2009, 09:06:11 AM »

I would like a limiter compressor to use with my DX 60, but I don't want to spend a fortune.  Even better if it can provide a bit of EQ as well.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:42:13 AM »

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHVX2000

You might be able to get one used for very little.

It does balanced in out, has a circuit to reduce background noise, compression above a set point, hard and soft compression, EQ, and some other stuff.

Its also small.

Brett
N2DTS
K9ACT
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 01:20:23 AM »

I just installed my Behringer 2496 and love it so my MDX 1600 and Pioneer EQ are of no use anymore.

The 1600 does a nice job of everything it does.  No EQ as such but the Dynamic Enhancer is all you need for voice.  It boosts the mid range to about the same settings as I had the Pioneer set at and so I had no use for it anymore either.

It works very well but the new digital is pretty nice.

I don't even remember what I paid for the 1600 but you can certainly have it for $100 or make me an offer.  It's in like new condition.

I was going to put it on the classified board but as long as you asked....

js

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:59:52 AM »

FWIW, I run a Behringer VX-2000 with a Marshall MXL-990 condensor mic.  (Read they look great and sound decent but do not hurt the wallet that much!)  I was on the air last night on 40 meter and had this in my email box just now.

HI JOHN,
        I was tuning around 40meters 7.180khz and I thought it was a broadcast station with a ham program in progress.
I listened further and was delighted to hear a good  AM modulation and sounds better than most broadcast station audio.
I also checked out your internet site and could not sign your guest book.Starry page came up and nothing else.
Ok fine buisness with the AM rst 599 litlle QSB 0400-0500 GMT

Tony Caputo
KI4SRR
In Florida

Now I honestly think this guy mistook me for W3TIM whom I was in QSO with. Tim has a signal with audio as smooth as a newborn behind.  At anyrate the VX-2000 doesn't exhibit any problems with RF and it sounds great in my headphones on the mixer I have the audio routed through before the rig.  Also sounds pretty good on the rigs monitor.  I think I gave 75 bucks for it on ePay.

KX5JT

AMI#1684
WB2YGF
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 09:16:40 AM »

Just after I made my post I noticed a Behringer DSP9024 on eBay for around $50 with 1 hour left.  It stayed at that price and I tried to snipe it for $79 with 15 seconds left, but I got out-sniped by 2 other bidders.  It went for $101.  Angry

Tom JJ just got an 9024 and seems to like it.  I see some 8024's on eBay.  Wonder how they compare.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »

Love the DSP-9024 and I dislike the VX-2000.

Something about transients in the 2000. The compression scheme isn't all that happening.

A lot of people seem to outgrow these. Not too many people ditch the 9024 once they learn how to program it.

Remember, with a stand alone 9024 you will need some kind of mic preamp.

I also use a Peavy power amp and would never ever drive a P.T. Cruiser.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »

Tom JJ just got an 9024 and seems to like it.  I see some 8024's on eBay.  Wonder how they compare.

Yep, I love it!

Dave/VW cornvinced me to get one. I've been playing with the menu settings and find it is just what I wanted. For the price it's hard to beat.

So far, I don't see anything I don't like about it. There are so many ways to tailor the six frequency audio bands. One feature I like is being able to limit the highs so that there's no spitting - just like a D'esser.  And I compress the extreme lows harder so that I can get a better BC sound. The mids don't get touched much and see no effects from the highs and lows cuz of the multi-band isolation.  Tailoring it to one's voice is really cool.

The biggest feature to me is there's no signs of RF in the audio even at QRO. There is an audio isolation transformer in there according to the block diagram..

I use the ElectroVoice RE-20, into a mike preamp, into a 12 band EQ and into the 6-band 9024.  There is a big button on the panel that lets me hard-disconnect the 9024 out of circuit (internal relays) for ssb operation.

I had low expectations, but was more than pleased with the unit.  $100 or less is a good fair price.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015