The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:06:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why all the 75-80m split operation during this past weekend's DX QRMtest?  (Read 3276 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: March 09, 2009, 04:46:21 PM »

I think QRN pretty much did in the QRMtest, at least on 80 and 160m Saturday night, but there was a lot of activity on Friday night, and some QRMtesters were shouting "five-nine" all weekend.  One thing I noticed was a lot of US stations calling CQ QRMtest between 3800 and 3825, and announcing that they were listening on specific frequencies between 3600 and about 3675.  There were practically no US stations at all in the 3600-3700 segment after about 0500 GMT, although I carried on for a couple of  hours on 3650 with another AM station.  Only a few faint Europeans were audible between 3600 and 3675, probably operating split with the Yanks above 3800.  But QRMtest QRM pretty well made operation on 3700-3750 impossible.

At first, I assumed that all the split operation was due to Generals participating in the QRMtest, and not being able to operate below 3800... just like the old days.  But I  stopped by to  listen to a few of these stations, and noticed that the vast majority were sporting 1 X 2 callsigns, indicating Extra Class.

My question is why would QRMtest operators with Extra class privileges, operate above 3800 and work split with DX stations on 3600-3700, when they could just as easily (or more easily) work simplex?

I'm not complaining; it kept the bottom end of the phone band open for clear-channel AM operating during prime evening hours, but it seems to me a horrible waste of spectrum space.  After all, the slopbucketeer QRMtesters are some of the loudest mouths when it comes to preaching bandwidth and "spectrum conservation".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »

It's easier for the other stations (the pileup) to hear the station calling, since his frequency is clear. This way the station called can come right back instead of missing his call because of the pileup or waiting for the pileup to quit calling. The QSO rate is higher this way.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »

The QRMtesters must have loved me and the other AM station I was in QSO with on 3650.  Grin

I assume the Yank DX'ers at least did listen to the 3600-3700 frequency before designating it in their CQ's, so our frequency was easily avoided.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:46:22 PM »

The QRMtesters must have loved me and the other AM station I was in QSO with on 3650.  Grin

I assume the Yank DX'ers at least did listen to the 3600-3700 frequency before designating it in their CQ's, so our frequency was easily avoided.

You were too weak here to be much of a problem. A simple twist of the notch and you were gone.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:56:34 PM »

You were too weak here to be much of a problem. A simple twist of the notch and you were gone.

Then, it looks like it was a winning situation for all involved.  The band was long that night.  OTOH some of the CQ QRMtesters were strapping in here, so I probably was at their QTH, too.

- - -
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 06:30:06 PM »

Another two reasons for using split during 75M DX corntests:

1) Similar to what Steve said, the Euro DXers sometimes have a terrible time hearing cuz of local Euro QRM. During corntests, there's times when I hear USA stations calling them over and over in the DX window with no comebacks. The USA guys start saying the Euros have no ears, it gets so bad.  However, they have great ears - the Euros have splatter problems over there in a big way. I talk to a number of them privately and hear the stories.  In the USA, we tend to have more lynch mobs when it happens... :-)

The point is, above 3800 there are NO Euros allowed, so it's the perfect place for USA guys to hold court and be easily heard in Europe while they listen down the band.

2) Another minor reason (but big for me) is that many 75M DX arrays are optimized for the 3790-3800 DX window. By staying close to the window (3803, etc)  these antennas maintain a good pattern and swr.  This applies to Yagis especially, and driven arrays to a lesser extent. A vertical four square will usually work well down the band, so is less critical.  Many use broadband Bevs to listen way down the band. (me too)

My parasitic quads actually switch directions when I go below 3725 or so. So I have gain to west coast and a null to Euro -  NG.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »

The few times I have worked the Euros on 3705, the problem I had hearing them was the weak signal and white noise in the background even in the absence of QRN.  But they reported that I had S6 to S8 signal strength, but there was a lot of splatter from adjacent SSB.

I listened to 40M early this morning.  Condx very quiet except for occasional static crashes. There were loads of open frequencies with no broadcast or SSB.  I did hear a few hams from UK, Italy and Spain.  Pile-ups of Europeans on a couple of frequencies.  Didn't catch what they were trying to work, but I doubt that any USA station would have caused a European pile-up, unless it was the ghost of Hiram himself. I also heard a couple of domestic 40m QSO's from UK.  So the skip must not have been totally long, or else they were in the same town.

We need to look for a window of opportunity, when US slopbucketeers have started to go to bed while europeans are beginning to rise for some early morning contacts, and find a frequency that is clear on both ends.

Daylight Shifting Time may help clear out the QRM before condx to Europe fizzle for the day.  There is already a noticeable thinning out of activity earlier in the evening now.  Evidently, most of the retirees heard in the Geriatric groups stay synchronised to the clock and are now dutifully calling it a night an hour earlier.

I already hear plenty of clear frequencies from this side of the pond, but the question is how much open space do they have over there.

- - -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015