The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:57:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone tried Foxit Reader?  (Read 10753 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 05:08:15 PM »

Looks like this thing is as much a PITA to "upgrade" as Adobe is to use. 

Every other program I have ever used, you check their website for updates, download whatever appears on the list, click on its icon and a menu drops down with the "install" option, you click on Install, maybe check "yes" on a licensing agreement, wait for the installation to complete while maybe clicking on "next" a time or two, then click on "finish" if necessary and sometimes it tells you to restart the computer to activate the change.

Once the files are extracted, what do I have to do to get them to show up in red on the list in the pane to the left?  My list has some black ones and red ones, but not the JPEG2000/JBIG nor the GDI+ Module. Couldn't I just move them out of the folder I put them in and do whatever I need to do next, instead of downloading and extracting them all over again?

It looks to me like the upgrade window tells you what is available on the Foxit website to be downloaded, what has already been downloaded but needs to be installed, but I haven't figured out how to tell what is already installed.

And by "moving the extracted DLL files to the root directory of C", do you mean just dragging and dropping the files into the window that opens right after you double-click on the "hard drive (C)" icon, without putting them in any of the folders on the list?  Or downloading again and this time saving the zipped file to "C" instead of to the desktop or to one of the folders in C?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WQ9E

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 05:23:03 PM »

Don,

I just installed Foxit to my laptop.  For the updates, I downloaded them (using the links in the manual) and then extracted them to the root directory of C (C:\ and not any of the sub-directories).  When I went into the Check for updates now (under the help menu) the ones I downloaded were in red and I then clicked to add them to the selected updates window and clicked install. 

I then unchecked advertisement under the view menu to get rid of the ad bar on the upper corner of the screen and removed the Foxit toolbar from Firefox. 

It seems like install updates would be the logical choice for these actions but that didn't provide any meaningful choices for me.

The updates do seem a little awkward but the rest of the reader suits me better than Adobe.  I actually liked some of the earlier versions of Adobe better and the later ones seem to want to take control away from the user-much like the current versions of MS Office.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 11:29:05 PM »

I have tried everything I can think of to get them to show up in the pane.  Zipped and unzipped, "Look in" the C directory and in the Foxit Reader folder, and can't get them to show up in the install list.  All I get is a blank screen.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 04:29:09 AM »

I was finally able to install the add-ons directly off the Foxit website by clicking on the links on the page, instead of using the links on page 5 of the user's manual.  This time they downloaded, ready to install without having to extract to anything.  Just clicked on "install" and they immediately self-installed.

I never could download them by using the links in the manual and then extracting them to the root directory of C.  When I would go into the Check for updates now (under the help menu) the ones I downloaded would not show up on the list at all.

But even after successfully installing them I still don't see any improvement in the quality of the screen display.

Adobe seems to  display a sharper image, but it is slow, jerky and freezes up easily.

There is a greater difference in quality with some documents than with others.

I still haven't tried to compare printouts with the  two readers.

- - -
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015