The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:11:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the name of that Berhinger Multi-Band Audio Processor?  (Read 13838 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: March 05, 2009, 01:28:26 AM »

I'm thinking of getting rid of my 528 audio processor and picking up that older Berhringer 6-band ? processor. Does anyone remember the model numbers?

Or, any suggestions for something like it that goes for under $200 new?

I'd be interested in buying one used if someone has one to sell, too.  Hope it is RF proof... :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB1IAW

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:53:16 AM »

I (and a lot of other folks) have a Berhinger VX-2000. I think that's the unit that you are asking about. It's been discontinued and was replaced for a short time by a model called the VX-2496(?) but that was discontinued too. I don't know what a current comparable would be but the VX-2000 is common enough that you should be able to find one for under $100 if you keep your eyes open.
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:59:50 AM »

tom,
you talking about the 9024?
i might be interested in that 528
W2ZE
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 08:44:03 AM »

Its the 9024, and save your money T. Its a piece of sh!t. I had one and got rid of it immediately, never to see the light of day in my shack.
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:28:23 AM »

I have 2 of the VX-2000s...They have balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs....Seem to be resistant to RF...Has phantom voltage built in ..Works well with the behringer  condensor mic....Bought one new at $ 89.00  The other used with a mic for $100..  They are in use driving the audio on B-cash rigs
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:29:07 PM »

I have 2 of the VX-2000s...They have balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs....Seem to be resistant to RF...Has phantom voltage built in ..Works well with the behringer  condensor mic....Bought one new at $ 89.00  The other used with a mic for $100..  They are in use driving the audio on B-cash rigs

Hi Steve,

Looks like a nice unit. However, it's really a duplicate of the 528 feature-wise, just more lights... :-)  One band processing.

But since I'm upgrading, I was looking more for a multi-band procesor like the 9024, but Mike says it's NG.    The Optimod is too expensive and I already had a 3-band Durrough.  Are there any other multiband units like the 9024 out there for under $200?  Or, I may just have to settle on the VX-2000. I like the 528 a lot, but it's just the QRO issue it doesn't like.

BTW, Mike, what didn't you like about the 9024?

Blaine: Yes, if I get something else, you are welcome to the 528. Just be aware of its QRO RF limitations...  if it doesn't work out for you, I'll take it back, no problem.  I'll let ya know what I come up with.

Tnx.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:36:35 PM »

Why do you need more than 3 bands? Just do my cross-over freq mod to your DAP and you're set.

Blaine is not longer involved with amateur radio, so he doesn't need to worry about RFI.

Hi Steve,

Looks like a nice unit. However, it's really a duplicate of the 528 feature-wise, just more lights... :-)  One band processing.

But since I'm upgrading, I was looking more for a multi-band procesor like the 9024, but Mike says it's NG.    The Optimod is too expensive and I already had a 3-band Durrough.  Are there any other multiband units like the 9024 out there for under $200?  Or, I may just have to settle on the VX-2000. I like the 528 a lot, but it's just the QRO issue it doesn't like.

BTW, Mike, what didn't you like about the 9024?

Blaine: Yes, if I get something else, you are welcome to the 528. Just be aware of its QRO RF limitations...  if it doesn't work out for you, I'll take it back, no problem.  I'll let ya know what I come up with.

Tnx.

T
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:46:24 PM »

Why do you need more than 3 bands? Just do my cross-over freq mod to your DAP and you're set.
Blaine is not longer involved with amateur radio, so he doesn't need to worry about RFI.

DAP?  Do you mean the Durrough? I gave that away to Big Al a few years ago.  All I have now is the 528.

Don't pick on Blaine - he wants to be ready for action at any time. Like when someone doesn't wear underpants when they go out to a bar.

T

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:54:15 PM »

LOL.

Too bad. You got rid of the best processor you had.
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »

Its the 9024, and save your money T. Its a piece of sh!t. I had one and got rid of it immediately, never to see the light of day in my shack.

But  - These folks seem very happy witheir 9024 processor....

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Behringer/DSP9024+Ultra-Dyne+Pro/100/1

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »

I too have a DAP310.  Could I get your "cross-over freq mods"?   I suspect that mine is an FM model.  Love to change it to assymetric for AM. Any ideas on how to do that?

LOL.
Too bad. You got rid of the best processor you had.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »

Yea, get the AM limiter card.

I'll email the mod. It's pretty simple.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »

Well, not sure what to choose now - dead in the water for QRO.... :-)  The audio 1:1 coupling transformer didn't help the 528 as well as other tries. I suppose I cud pull it apart and start bypassing every in and out lead with .001's.

I see lots of DSP multiband units like this Berhinger  DSP1424P, but not sure if they are what I need for AM and RF use.  ($99 new)

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/DSP1424P?meta=FRG

Any more suggestions for a *multiband* unit under $200 will be appreciated.

T

kc2ifr
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »

Tom,
I gotta ask u this question and please dont take it as a flame.
U have one of the best antenna farms on ham radio, u build great equipment.....some of the best....but yet u wanna buy crappy audio processors. Whats up with that Roll Eyes
Putting Berhinger crap on your station is like buying a Ferrari and putting recap tires on it!!!!! Makes no sense..........at least to me.
Just a question........
Keep up the good work Tom.........

Inquiring minds want to kinow.....

Bill
W2ZE
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »

I have to agree with Bill 100% on this.

if you think you have trouble now with RFI, wait till you install a 9024. Not only RF in audio, but RF would get into the DSP processor and wink out the host controller SW.

I don't think you need an optimod there, but a 9000a goes for about 800 bux these days. Bill bought an Inovonics 222, those can be had for a song, if you find them. maybe you can find another DAP310. Sometimes, they be had for the asking. Huz was right, you gave away the best processor in the shack Cry

A processor thats cheap and might do what you want is a DBX 166a. It provides limiting, and compression. However the limiter is not asymetrical, but if you got a 9024, that isn't a-sym either, so no big deal for what you want to do.

Many ways to skin the preverbial cat here, OM. Just like I have said in the past, opinion's are like a-holes when it come's to audio...
kc2ifr
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 06:07:27 PM »

Tom,
To put it another way........using Berhinger crap is like mixing horse shit with ice cream......u wind up with horse shit Sad

Bill
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 06:24:06 PM »

Yeah, yeah, I hear ya Mike ... Cheesy

I can't quite get myself to blow over $200 for a unit though. I'm such a cheap bastard when it comes to ham gear. But, I have a few leads on non-working (repair needed)  better units that are more in the Durrough class, so we'll see what pans out.

I sent you an email about a unit I'm considering....

T

kc2ifr
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 06:30:10 PM »

OK tom,
Whatever u said.....

Bill
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 06:43:25 PM »

bah, not all behringer stuff is crap.
the 9024 was a great unit for the price, it is no longer manufactured so may be hard to get, check ebay.
now the vx2000, i also have one of those, i cant stand it... it is crap
but the eurodesk mixer i have is great, i love it, not perfect but again for the price it does what i want it to.
its just like Microsoft, alot of their stuff is crap but a few things are actually good...
sure beats spending $3500 on an optimod  Tongue
and yea Tom, steve is right, im off the air so RF is no longer an issue for me, sold the flex and the linear, still got the E rig but no desire to get on the air...

ka3zlr
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »

Man,

I go to the hospital for a few days for a broncoscopy and some tests and Look out...

Still on the Behringer kick...Man...Welp I'm on the side of Do'it'yooself...LOL..Thing..more fun, Little capitol Investment..and it's a Blast when it werks...ya know Hambone radio... Grin

I have to date collected 5 Pieces of their JUNK...2 Pieces only Half of them werks...the other three...forget it after three years Pots out power supplies dead...need werk..out the door they went ..To The Curb I say... Cool

So, My thoughts on BEHRINGER EQUIPMENTS ...JUNK...are Not worth the investment...So Sez Zed.L.R. on this date 3-5-09. to the majesty's Court..

We may Now Continue with our regular arguments, Forays and Circuit analysis...till the Dreaded Maxwell Hammer falls... Cool

Please Stand by.. Grin   NEXT...................... Cool

Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 06:52:24 PM »

your processing audio on a medium with a crappy s/n ratio, we are not splitting the atom here Grin
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 06:58:04 PM »

Dude, get youself an Orban Optimod 9000 or 9100 off of Ebay or wherever.

Then modify it to become an Optimod-HF.

Just like the VOA used.

The good sczhit.

Or a CBS Volumax and cheap, multiband EQ.

You need asymmetrical peak limiting.

Here, build one of these, too. You won't be sorry.

http://www.w3am.com/8poleapf.html

Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »

get on skype....
ka3zlr
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 07:02:28 PM »

Gota Better idea..build the "5 Dollar Mic" put a nice little amp behind it.. shove it in the first mic stage..and "Get-R-Done"... Grin

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »

Yea, get the AM limiter card.    (DAP-310)

OK - Any of those around?   Where would I find one?

I'll email the mod. It's pretty simple.
Thank you! You are a Gentleman!  Smiley

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015