The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:56:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FoxHole Radio or How Not to wind a Coil...:-)  (Read 16989 times)
spystyle
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »

By the way, is it possible to make a crystal radio speaker? If yes, how can I do it?

I would prefer to have a speaker rather than an ear bud, this would allow the entire class to hear it when she presents the radio, rather than 30 kids wrestling over a single earbud...

Thanks Smiley
Craig
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »

I used to listen to my "Rocket Radio" in bed with the antenna connected to the hot water baseboard as an antenna.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 05:39:24 PM »

By the way, is it possible to make a crystal radio speaker? If yes, how can I do it?

I would prefer to have a speaker rather than an ear bud, this would allow the entire class to hear it when she presents the radio, rather than 30 kids wrestling over a single earbud...

Thanks Smiley
Craig

Crystal sets don't really do speakers, not enough output power. All the power you hear in the crystal set is comming off of the antenna through the rectifier etc.   That said, you can take one of those crystal earbuds and with a little bit of work modify it to play through a horn (remember the old victrola?) speaker.  It will NOT have room filling volume, but you won't need to wear the earbud.  Experiment with a simple paper cone and see if you can get something out.

The earbuds are cheap enough to mess with.  If you have a strong local station you can sometimes hear it with the earbud just sitting on a table in a quiet room.

You could also try some cheap computer speakers, as some of these have an amplifier built in. You will have to put something in the circuit to keep from loading down your detector and loosing output (like a transformer). don't know how well that would work. Not really keeping with the crystal radio spirit though. 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
spystyle
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »

Oh man, it must be possible to make a crystal speaker, it must be! I am prepared to wind a million coils! I have magnets and everything...

Cry

There's gotta be a way!
spystyle
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »

Hey I found a nice crystal radio kit on eBay (of course) that shows a setup similar to the foxhole radio but with a diode and a resistor. The seller was kind enough to tell me what they are (rather than telling me to buy the kit and find out for myself)

Howes CR-1 Crystal Radio Kit with 1N34A diode and a 47K ohm resistor.

So I'll probably just build one like that rather than trying to find a blued razor and all that mess.

So how do you guys wind your wire?
spystyle
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »

About the speaker - I am a computer repair guy but I also build things, like arcade machines. I built a huge server computer for a sound guru who builds refrigerator sized speakers and he tutored me to build an Altec 620 cabinet with a big old horn on top, the entire assembly is about 5 feet tall.

Click to enlarge, old photos from before I bought a good camera.

So I have the most basic understanding of speakers. Mine is 8 OHMs, if I read correctly the crystal speaker woudl have to be 2000 OHMs.

I've read about building speaker drivers from paper plates and magnets with wound wire - isn't it possible to wind the wire more and more to make a 2000 OHM speaker?

Thank you Smiley

Cheers,
Craig
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »

You are only limited by the amount of work you want to put into the project.  You can completely homebrew a High-impedance speaker etc.

The fact remains though that you are only dealing with a milliVolt signal level. Ya just can't get more power out than whats going in...  (if you DO file a Patent QUICK!  Grin)

Anyway, start small, get a regular set going, a 1N34 germanium diode set is going to work fine business.  No fussing about cat wiskers etc. Start with earphones or what ever. Then  you can experiment to your hearts content...

Google will be helpfull too, there are a lot of folks who are still experimenting with crystal sets.  I have seen at least one recipe for a crystal set speaker, If I can find the link, I'll post it.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
spystyle
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2009, 07:44:43 PM »

Hey I found speaker plans for crystal radios Smiley

http://www.peeblesoriginals.com/crystal-loud-speaker.html
K3ZS

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »

Antique speakers made in the 20's are sometimes high impedance.    The ones used with the Atwater Kent model 20 and RCA Radiola are some examples.    Just in case you find some of these lying around.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015