The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:43:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40 Friday nite.....  (Read 5990 times)
k3sqp

« on: April 03, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »

830 pm eastern  7160

WA1HLR
WA1QIX
W1VD
W2DTC
W3JN
K3SQP
W3HPW
N8ITF
N8JPW
DB9XP  Wolf
DF3KV Peter in Hannover  , who was on  AM with a Flex...S9 plus
All FB sigs..
Frank
K3SQP

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »

Congrats on the Euro AM contacts on 7160 guys!

I heard the early AM QSO with Peter, DF3KV.   Peter sounded excellent on AM and it was a thrill to hear.  He seemed pretty excited about it.  Did he just break in initially or was it a scheduled contact?

The local guys were very weak, but I could hear the Tron.   Johnny JN with his GPT? 4-440 rig was about the loudest in here near S9+50 at times.

I have no NE antenna yet, so had to sit and listen...  Got my antenna rope today, so might be looking for Euros in the next few days.

Nice to chat with you earlier today, Frank.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k3sqp

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »

He just broke in. It was a treat that I hope we have many more times..
Frank
K3SQP

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
K7NCR
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:42:20 PM »

Great fun on 7160 tonight! About 2:30 UTC,
W9AD
W0VMC
W1VD
and Very weak,
K1JJ,
and VJB
It's nice to warm up the Apache on 40 again!
WV Hoopie
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:00:23 AM »

East coast started to reach the left coast about 7:30 PM Oregon time. Voice Mudulated Carrier and JJ were the loudest. I'll try and get the junkston "500" warmed up tonight on or around 7160. Don't know how well either antenna will load there, no harm trying.

wd8kdg
Craig
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »

listening here.... heard just about everyone on the list some light copy. W9AD wuz the big strapper here.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 02:49:21 PM »

Johnny JN with his GPT? 4-440 rig was about the loudest in here near S9+50 at times.

GPT-750.  Tron said I was the channel master at his place also.  Strange, considering I'm using my 75M dipole that's up about 35'.  It's gotta be the K1JJ caw-mawn tooner that's making the difference  Grin

I had some RF in the audio problems that I was trying to track down.  It's that damn mixer again.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 03:29:22 PM »

GPT-750.  Tron said I was the channel master at his place also.  Strange, considering I'm using my 75M dipole that's up about 35'.  It's gotta be the K1JJ caw-mawn tooner that's making the difference  Grin

I had some RF in the audio problems that I was trying to track down.  It's that damn mixer again.

Ya can't go wrong with a Caw Mawn patented tooner, John!  Grin

That 4-400 pair shud be very effective on 40M. Your 35' high 75M dipole has a good 3db gain up this way as well as a high angle lobe. Probably perfect vertical T.O. for the local trip. 

As you know,  a 65' high 40M dipole is the PERFECT complement to it cuz it has the opposite vertical pattern of the 35' high dipole. (1/4 wave high vs: 1/2 wave high)  I use both and find a good 20db between them most of the time.  Consider putting up a 1/2 wave high 40M dipole for west coast and Eur.  ie, The ionosphere is always changing and there is always an optimum angle to find.

I plan to post the dimensions on the BB for a few 40M wire Yagis soon - 2el to 5el versions.
Outside today working on the NE ant.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1IA

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 04:20:20 PM »

Got the 40 meter deck running this afternoon!

So look forward to working some A.M. tonite

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »

Brent W1IA

Hello Brent!
Now I only receive contest stations on 40 mtrs.
So I think I go early to bed....

Hope to hear you soon,

Henk
PE1MPH
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »

Brent W1IA

Sorry Brent, I am not 100% sure!
But I think I hear you NOW on 7160 khz, around 22.00 GMT?
Not all words from you, conteststations blowing all away!

Now +/- 22.30 GMT I hear a man speaking in AM.
But no call or name...., I listen till +/- 23.00 GMT around 7160.

Greetings,

Henk
pe1mph
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 06:24:50 PM »

Johnny, you were LOUD into north central NC last evening. Heard Frank 'SQP as well, and many others. Even heard one of the German stations, DK3.. coming in here. Remember, no antenna hooked up yet, just jumpers.

Tuned in later to hear W9AD and W0VMC holding court with K9ACT and another group. Seems like 7-9PM is the sweet spot. Sometime after 10-10:30 everyone disappeared.

Also heard a couple stations dumping carriers with the group walking over them fine, yet a couple folks still had to comment on it and feed the jammer's ego. This, of course, resulted in more carriers.

Wind has pretty much died down here, so I'm off to sling up a temporary 40m inverted V or whatever might work. If as many folks show up tonight as last night, hopefully it'll result in several QSOs instead of one, massive group.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 12:43:26 PM »

Brent W1IA
What's the 40M deck, a 5 x 5 pushed by the class H or a score or more and the PDM?

Jon
W1IA

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 04:05:44 PM »

Brent W1IA
What's the 40M deck, a 5 x 5 pushed by the class H or a score or more and the PDM?

Jon
Hi Jon,
Its a 10 fet RF deck with digital gate drive....running off of the new DDS VFO. Has been a difficult project. Had to buffer the output of the DDS into the freq divider chip with a 2n2222. Lots of rf bypassing on the 12 and 5 volt rails. Had to add another 1000pf of loading capacitance to the rf deck. Also using ATC chip caps instead of door-knob shunts. It still needs some tweaking but seems to be working better.

Brent
p.s. class-h modulated

Run What Ya Brung!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015