The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:18:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whoo hoo got my intarwebble connection back.  (Read 2518 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: February 17, 2009, 06:11:30 PM »

a conspiracy. first my antenna blows down, then I lose my cable internet connection.  Roll Eyes

Comcast just left, had to run a entire new of RG-6 from the computer room to the outside cable box. That old run of cable was at least 15 years old. showed no visible damage, but it just didnt work.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »

Ur better off OM with new RG 6.  The new stuff is double shielded, inpregnated (with vaseling  Grin)

I know how you feel. The last Wednesday storm left us without power for over two days, antenna down, tree across driveway and power lines for whole neighborhood, you name it.

Allegheny Power said it was the worst storm they've ever experienced in KY, WV, etc. Hundreds of thousands w/o power up to a week.

It was fun camping 'in,'  isolating the family room with a rug over the entryway, gas fireplace running 24/3, heating water on a brick in front of it, cooking meals on the gas grill outside. Ate out a lot too at places that still had power.  Luckily we had gas hot water heater.  Your new fangled flash, instant electric water heaters would have been very dead.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K3ZS

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:57:31 PM »

A few years ago the cable company was aghast that we still had RG-59 in the house.    They replaced it all with the new stuff and I was able to eliminate one of the distribution amps.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »

I had a signal loss problem with my satellite receiver.  The RG6 just gave it up even though it looked OK fine at the ends, no evidence of water penetration. Never checked it with an ohmmeter. Replaced the run and all was well again.  I figured moisture eventually permeated the cable and just changed the characteristics of the cable.  It was in the weather for about 7 years.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:31:14 PM »

A few years ago the cable company was aghast that we still had RG-59 in the house.    They replaced it all with the new stuff and I was able to eliminate one of the distribution amps.

Same thing happened when the cable guy was here this past December. All the internal cables were still RG-59U from when they and I installed them many years ago. He said they should all replaced with the RG-6 stuff which he did, plus he gave me about 100 plus feet loose to replace the RG-59 stuff that was running to the roof top antenna.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:14:09 PM »

Ur better off OM with new RG 6.  The new stuff is double shielded, inpregnated (with vaseling  )

Yes, the flooded RG-6 is a little more pricey but well worth it, especially if it's out in the WX. And you can bury it without worries too. Great for ham radio RX antennas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015