The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:07:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Troubleshooting Tip - "The case of the spastic plate meter "  (Read 4125 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: February 16, 2009, 01:47:56 AM »

Hola,

I just finished wiring up a single 4X1 in grounded grid. New amp.  I fired it up and the tube lite FB, BUT when I keyed the amp, the plate meter started jumping around like a spastic robotic dancer.  It just buzzed.  No HV was required. (The meter was in the filament CT to ground circuit)

The buzzing was the clue. It was actually buzzing at 60hz.

I've seen this before and realized that one side of the filament was grounded to chassis causing the 60hz to modulate the GG amp at 60hz.   I had forgotten to add a 0.01 coupling cap between the L/C input tuning and filament. Since the L/C tank is grounded, the fil saw a short to ground without the coupling cap. The filament needs to float and be balanced.

Anyway, I added the cap and the buzz went away.

I've seen someone post this symptom on a thread maybe a year or two ago. So now we know: buzzy meter = filament short to chassis.

(This applies to directly heated cathode/filaments)

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB3DKS

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:39:47 AM »

Good one Tom,
I just had a similiar issue due to grounding the flaments of the rewired 6CA7, formerly 807 modulators in the VKII. I was on the wrong side of the cathode meter shunt. Quite the needle dance !

Bill, KB3DKS in 1 Land
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:06:17 AM »

Tom ..there are the two filament leads downstream of the filament choke....the input is coupled to each filament lead thru an .o1cap....   one each on each filament lead...I have always used HV mica caps for this purpose...How important is it that these two caps be matched?  I have always just found a couple from the junk box that looked alike and had the same (.o1) value on them and never gave it any more thought....But after reading the recent post by Don KYV on the testing of old mica caps I see that there can be quite a difference in actual capacity vs what the cap has printed on it.....I have also noticed that some GG schematics show a value of .1 and others use .o1......

I have started gathering parts for the deuce 4x1 GG....I have the tubes, 2 eimac air sockets , a 60 amp fil trans, 1 chimney, a blower, a 10 x 17 chassis, meters, plate choke...... I have 1 vac variable for the tune side of the out put and I have might have to use a breadslicer for the load side..Probably use plug in coils on the output since I have lots  of them. ..... What values of caps and coil do you use for your tuned input?  I probably won't get this thing built this winter as I have other projects going but the accumulation of parts is going well....  Steve
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »

Tom ..there are the two filament leads downstream of the filament choke....the input is coupled to each filament lead thru an .o1cap....   one each on each filament lead...I have always used HV mica caps for this purpose...How important is it that these two caps be matched?  I have always just found a couple from the junk box that looked alike and had the same (.o1) value on them and never gave it any more thought....But after reading the recent post by Don KYV on the testing of old mica caps I see that there can be quite a difference in actual capacity vs what the cap has printed on it.....I have also noticed that some GG schematics show a value of .1 and others use .o1......

I have started gathering parts for the deuce 4x1 GG....I have the tubes, 2 eimac air sockets , a 60 amp fil trans, 1 chimney, a blower, a 10 x 17 chassis, meters, plate choke...... I have 1 vac variable for the tune side of the out put and I have might have to use a breadslicer for the load side..Probably use plug in coils on the output since I have lots  of them. ..... What values of caps and coil do you use for your tuned input?  I probably won't get this thing built this winter as I have other projects going but the accumulation of parts is going well....  Steve

Hi Steve,

You brought up some good points...

Over the years, I've heard MANY rigs with hum on the carrier as a result of filament imbalance problems. There's many ways it can happen. With indirectly heated cathodes, like the 8877, etc, there needs to be a TRI-filar wound filament choke. Using a standard bi-filar causes hum.

With directly heated cathodes, like the 4X1, 3-500Z, etc, balance is also important, though a bifilar choke is OK. When I select the filament bypass caps, I consider the input impedance. When doing something real low, like the quad 4X1's, I usually use something like .05's.  Any input up over 50 ohms can usually get away with .01's.    The math is to calculate the reactance of the cap on the lowest band, like 160M, and be sure it is at least 10 times lower than the input impedance, or more.  Otherwise, you may see amplifier instabilities.  The fil choke should also be 10:1 in impedance ratio -  10 times higher (or more) than the input impedance of the tube. (at the lowest operating frequency)  If it takes more drive on the lower bands for a given power output, this may be a clue that your fil choke needs more inductance. I've also seen the amp get unstable as a result, too.

Being on the cold side of the choke lessens this requirement somewhat, just like the bypass cap on the cold side of the plate choke. But might as well do it right.

As far as balance of the bypass caps... I usually just check the caps on the cap checker before use. It's not hard to find a pair at .01 that are real close. It might not be a big deal to get them closely matched - just a matter of degree. As long as there is not a big mistake in imbalance of the overall structure, your hum will be canceled out pretty well.  One side of the fil to chassis, like I did last night, is a BIG mistake and makes the amp inoperable from severe hum. 

** I would imagine that a LEAKING bypass cap could simulate a partial short to chassis and be a tough thang to troubleshoot.  So maybe replace suspect bypass caps when you have eliminated everything else for hum problems.

As for the L/C input to the amp filament.... you can use a pi-network or a T network to match most any situation.  If the impedance is close to 50 ohms already (like a pair of 4X1's) a simple L/C parallel resonant circuit to ground will work FB. Esp if you are driving it with a tube driver with a pi-network itself.

I would like to hear more from the guys here about filament balance and problems they've had with hum. I know Frank/GFZ had a long standing problem with his 4X3 amplifier 'til he realized the bifilar choke should not be wound on two separate rods.  Hum problems like these can drive ya nuts, cuz you check all your other supplies for hum, audio leads, etc and the hum is still there.  Hum induced by filaments in high power amplifiers is probably more common than most hams realize... :-)

Your dual 4X1 project sounds great. Oughta be a beauty.

Later -

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:22:07 PM »

I once destroyed a plate current meter that way.  The meter was located in the filament-ground part of the circuit, with the grid bias returned directly to the cathode, to keep HV off the meter movement but allow it to read plate  current only.  The meter was connected to the filament via the midtap of the transformer.  I was doing some testing and without thinking of the consequences, shorted one side of the 11.5 volt filament to ground.  I heard the buzzing, and  looked at the meter, and the pointer was physically vibrating from zero to about 60% scale, at 60 Hz. The coil didn't open up, but the meter never would read correctly afterwards. I suspect it shook something loose in the armature assembly; possibly detached the spring.  Fortunately, I had an identical spare meter to use to replace it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »

I once destroyed a plate current meter that way.  <snip>

Don

That meter might still be salvageable if  you still have it and it's a D'Arsonval movement.  The violent shaking of the movement might have shaken off one or more of the three balance pieces that is used to balance the meter for any physical position.  They look like springs that are on the front part of the movement below the needle.  They can be screwed in and out. 

The way they are adjusted is that the meter is held vertically and zeroed.  Then it is rotated 90 degrees to the left and to the right to see if the zero changes.  That adjustment is made on the two opposing spring looking weights until the meter zero doesn't shift.  Then the meter is rotated from vertical to flat to see if the zero changes -- if it does, the bottom weight is adjusted until the needle doesn't shift.  Just a thought - it's a quick check to just hold the meter as described and rotate it (also a good way to check meters at a 'fester to see if they have been abused).  Maybe something more drastic happened to the meter.

Al VTP
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »

I once destroyed a plate current meter that way.  The meter was located in the filament-ground part of the circuit, with the grid bias returned directly to the cathode, to keep HV off the meter movement but allow it to read plate  current only.  The meter was connected to the filament via the midtap of the transformer.  I was doing some testing and without thinking of the consequences, shorted one side of the 11.5 volt filament to ground.  I heard the buzzing, and  looked at the meter, and the pointer was physically vibrating from zero to about 60% scale, at 60 Hz. The coil didn't open up, but the meter never would read correctly afterwards. I suspect it shook something loose in the armature assembly; possibly detached the spring.  Fortunately, I had an identical spare meter to use to replace it.

Funny thing -

I just tested out the new single 4X1 amp (Fabio) that had this spastic meter problem described above.  Looks like the meter sustained damage.

What happens is it works OK until it gets to 200ma. Then it stops and holds there no matter what the current. But if I do a key up at 300ma or higher, the meter jumps above 200ma and works OK... :-)

I'll pull it out and take a look, as you suggest, Al.

Yes, those violent 60hz oscillations sure can wreak mechanical havoc on meters.

T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015