The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:48:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relay Sequencer glitch  (Read 13660 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 09:39:18 PM »

As the cap charges there will be current through the resistors thus base current. As the voltage of the cap increases the current through the resistors will decrease  to zero. When the cap is fully charged there will be no base current. So this circuit will produce a pulse low at the drain until the base current goes away.  
So yes you have some base drive as the cap charges.
Why not just turn on power to the sequencer before everything else.
I have a mental defect, adding parts to sequencers and interlocks adds more failure modes.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 10:03:05 PM »

As the cap charges there will be current through the resistors thus base current. As the voltage of the cap increases the current through the resistors will decrease  to zero. When the cap is fully charged there will be no base current. So this circuit will produce a pulse low at the drain until the base current goes away.  
So yes you have some base drive as the cap charges.
Why not just turn on power to the sequencer before everything else.
I have a mental defect, adding parts to sequencers and interlocks adds more failure modes.

Oh yes !!  That is exactly what it is supposed to do.  Just hold the circuit in a forced-off state long enough for the rest of the circuit to complete its power up - set/reset cycle.  I'm assuming that's what Jon originally asked for.  I think (and I might have misunderstood) that the goal was to have the circuit otherwise fully functional, and just disable the "self test" feature.  So, we only need (I'm supposing) about a second or so to allow the remainder of the circuit to do the self test, and then return to the off state, internally.  Externally, nothing will happen because the transistor will prevent the relays from firing during the self test.

And, adding more parts definitely adds more failure modes, but what the heck  Smiley  4 more components - what are the chances?  And, we're not exactly controlling the space shuttle here  Cheesy  But, the point is well taken.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 10:42:40 PM »

The sequencer was initially developed for use at the W1VD VHF/UHF multi multi contest station in the early 80s and then sold specifically for use with ARR tower mounted, legal limit power handling (and then some) VHF/UHF preamplifiers. Although that particular preamplifier line is no longer in production there has been continued interest in the sequencer. It was never intended to be a universal sequencer for any and all applications.   

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 04:22:36 AM »

Jay, it looks like a good design to me !  It's something that pretty much everyone who has built a class E transmitter has, in some way, included in their implementations  Cool

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 05:36:36 PM »

This is fine an long as the sequencer starts up in the right spot. Once around the block is sometimes required to get all the logic set up. I have not looked at the schematic.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015