The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are there no Anonymous and Unavailable Caller blocking products out there?  (Read 17335 times)
kb3nqd
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »

If you have broadband access and don't mind dropping your landline Skype, OOma, and several other VoIP solutions allow you to block numbers.  They also have a ton of very cool/innovative features that POTS providers seem to be unwilling or unable to provide (like receiving emails when someone drops you a voice mail or even having voicemails emailed to you).
ab3al
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 08:41:26 AM »

the problem with the do not call list is that all of the telemarketing houses went over seas.  or the other trick is they call from america through an overseas pbx.  Us laws actually prohibit them from calling from a blocked #.. this even includes collection agencys.  If you are on the do not call list and you are called the law allows for you to sue for 600 in damages for each offense.  wheter the call came from the actual company or a sub vender you can sue the product manufacturer.  to date i have been awarded $7200.  becomes a fun little second job during my slow season.  all calls to me or my business go through a linux based pbx (asterisk)  I have it set to annnounce that the call may be recorded for billing training or prosecution purpases.  every call is recorded and loged with calller id date time and duration.   To top it off the message also says this line does not accept sales calls for free.  If this is a sales call from a vender that we do not have a relationship with the company or product you represent will be billed at a rate of 300 per minute.  by continuing with this call you agree to these charges.  This message is only played for those callling from 800 numbers blocked # and area codes outside of the region that i service.  To date i have sent a $38000 invoice to the sears siding guys.  They havent paid and they are about to go to court/  i will have tapes and logs in hand.  My lawyer smiles every time he sees me and has started doing the same things i do himself cuz it fun he says.   

I dont wanna hear from the folks that say im abusing the courts.  their offences are actually federal telephone mis use.  and after convicted of the first offence the second can be charged as a felony.  I didnt ask for them to call and if i needed their product i would have called them.  I have been in business for 9 years and do very well without any cold calling.  If what they have to sell is so great send me a fu@#ing catalog.

If sears looses im buying that new rhodes and schwartz rig
K3ZS

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 10:28:45 AM »

ab3al, you should add to your income and self-publish a book about the details of your system, put me on your list as a customer.
mrralan
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »

Steve, the actual manufacturer of this product has its website here...

http://www.interceptorid.com/home.htm

I spoke with them today.  They are in the process of making a new/improved model.  They estimate a few months before release.  The other product was discontinued because they thought they had enough supply to last till the new model was released.  They miscalculated as demand was very high.

You can sign up as a memeber and you will recieve an email when it is released and where you can order it from.  Hope this answers your question.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »

Thanks !  We'll see if the "new" product actually appears  Wink  Only time will tell !

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W4EWH

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 12:42:33 AM »

... all calls to me or my business go through a linux based pbx (asterisk) 

Please tell us how much your system cost:

• PC Hardware
  • Asterisk software
  • FXO/FXS or other interface cards

I'd also like to know how long it took you to install the software, tune the system, and get it going to your satisfaction.

TIA.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 07:09:58 PM »

I think I'm going to put a message like AB3AL's on our landline (unpublished).. We have been getting over ten calls a day lately from some telemarketing/phishing scheme in the Tampa area 727-450-6639.  Comes up on our caller ID as Group 1 Network.  Just rings the number until the answering machine picks up, then disconnects.  Never leaves a message, on one of the first calls we picked up and they hung up.

Googling on that number reveals that these idiots are driving people crazy all over the country....

Called CT Attorney General's Office Consumer Assistance about this harrassment. 
They were useless - said I had to submit a complaint to them  in writing via snail mail or fax them - they don't accept emails.  Said they have not had any complaints yet about this specific number.  Find that hard to believe.  Maybe I will try calling the Tampa PD and see if they are doing anything.  CT AG office said being on a do not call list does not help against jerks like these guys.

Never had a problem like this until recently.  May be due to my wife changing our landline listing from unlisted to unpublished a few months back.  I can now find myself on 411.com although no number comes up.  Never showed up at all before.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 08:17:20 PM »

J ust filed a formal complaint on the fcc.gov web.site against the system in Tampa that has been calling us repeatedly in the last few weeks

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
KB1OKL
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »

Steve,
Verizon, Comcast and some others have "anonymous call reject" feature by simply dialing
*77.  It can be turned off by *87.  Not stand alone but it works ok.  Check your telco.

Jim

I have Verizon and just reactivated *77, forgot about it, thanks. It says: "your anonymous call rejection service in now on"
W4EWH

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 11:31:51 PM »

Steve,
Verizon, Comcast and some others have "anonymous call reject" feature by simply dialing
*77.  It can be turned off by *87.  Not stand alone but it works ok.  Check your telco.

I have Verizon and just reactivated *77, forgot about it, thanks. It says: "your anonymous call rejection service in now on"

Anonymous Call Rejection can be a real PITA when dealing with medical issues: if you have to ask your doctor to call you at home, you'll have to remember to disable ACR before asking for a callback.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015