The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:24:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75 gone long early JJ?  (Read 3943 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: January 30, 2009, 07:10:57 PM »

No problem hearing the east coast for the last half-hour and it's not
quite sunset here.

Have hoisted the antenny 50' to the top.

Break the Ghetto habit.
Will be CQing and listening around  3700, + or -.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »

Bill,
  Heard you down around 3.675. REAL early for the band to go long. Those guys in Fla didn't seem to hear you.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:31:46 PM »

Bill,

12:30 AM EST

I'm on the big '85 now with Tron, Robert, Buddly and a few others.

T

No problem hearing the east coast for the last half-hour and it's not
quite sunset here.

Have hoisted the antenny 50' to the top.

Break the Ghetto habit.
Will be CQing and listening around  3700, + or -.

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »

Tom
 What happen last night Huh Was listening to your strapping signal into Kansas City.... You said { The tubes look a little pink} and you were gone. I hope everything is alright.
                                                                       Mike/KA0ARA

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 08:05:01 PM »

Darn...The ONE thing in the shack that I can't do without failed..The mic preamp/processor. Very odd problem, it's motorboating at around 20 HZ and oscillating at around 25 KHz at the same time.. Looks like a good way to damage the transmitter, too. I've got a spare that I can put into service, but it's in storage too far away to get to this weekend.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »

Tom
 What happen last night Huh Was listening to your strapping signal into Kansas City.... You said { The tubes look a little pink} and you were gone. I hope everything is alright.
                                                                       Mike/KA0ARA

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the report.

Yes, you're correct - I was running the 4X1's X 4X1's PDM rig.  I was testing it out - kinda a shake down run. All of a sudden the 4-1000A switch tubes started showing some color, then got brighter and brighter. The carrier dropped out.  I shut down and did some troubleshooting. Turns out that the high speed damper diodes that squelch the PDM spikes at the switch tube plate shorted out.   Gotta order a new set - about 30 diodes.... sigh. That is a dangerous transmitter to work on cuz the grid, screen and fil supplies of the finals float at full B+ HV. I can't see myself maintaining this thing as an old buzzard.  Sometimes I get big ideas, build them up and realize I've got a tiger ny the tail... HA!

Bill, sorry to hear about the oscillation. We'll do it again maybe next week.  I've been hit by a rash of minor crap outs this weekend - I know how you feel.

The band seems long tonight, so may get on in a bit with the 4X1 X 833A's rig. (At least that's working)

Later -

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »

Tom,
Do you have a HV filter cap on the power supply side of the diodes?
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 11:42:23 PM »

Tom,
Do you have a HV filter cap on the power supply side of the diodes?

Hi Frank -

Yes, I have a 0.1 ufd in there dumping the energy into the power supply.

Just got off 3885. Big group in there tonight.  Seattle, WA west coast too.  Still going on.

T

WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 08:52:07 AM »

Tom, Way too small. Imagine the energy stored in the filter when the switch tube turns off all wanting to go into a small cap. It is going to ring and swing.
10 uf would be a better value in parallel with it.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »

Saturday afternoon before going out for the evening I tuned across the longwave broadcast band.  The German station on 183 kHz was clearly audible about 45 minutes before sunset. Couldn't believe I was hearing a longwave signal out of Europe as far inland as TN, while it was still daylight and the sun was shining brightly.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015