The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:16:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why KD5CPL hasn't been on the air for six months.  (Read 3345 times)
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« on: January 28, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »

Posted by W8KHK (from the AM reflector) on behalf of Gary Carson:

Hello,

My name is Gary Carson.  I am a frequent reader of this reflector.  I participate in 75/80 meter operation several times a month from Oklahoma City (or at least I did). 

I have contracted a rare disease known as Transverse Myelitis.  At the present time I have no use of my legs or hands, and very limited use of my arms.  I've also been in the hospital this entire time.  There are several of you that I am used to talking to on a frequent basis and would just like to say hi and I hope that I am able to get back on one of these days.  I hope I don't end up selling my boat anchors over this.  During the initial assessment of the problems I was fitted with an internal pacemaker.  They are not usually compatible with ham radio.  I also have bought in the last few months a transmitter that will be physically too big for me to work on unless I get much better.  I can't make myself sell it yet.  It is capable of being remotely operated, just that I'm not. 

I just wanted to let my friends know why I've not been heard from.  I called Jim W5JO yesterday and let him know.  But since my daughter is sitting here taking this as dictation I thought I'd try to go ahead and send something out myself, also.  I hope to get back on the air.  Please feel free to post this on the AMFone if somebody wants to, although I don't know as many of that group as I do this one, or any other AM related site.  I hope this is not the end of my ham career.  It is out of my hands at the present time.

Gary Carson KD5CPL

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »

Please relay our best to Gary and hope he's back on the air soon. The remote xmitter sounds like a neat rig.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »

I'm real sorry to hear about your illness. I hope you overcome it and can enjoy your radios again.

PJ

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kd5cpl
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »

I would like to thank you guys who read and replied to my post about my not being on the air due my disability.  I plan to get back on if possible, possibly having to use lower power. You AMers are a great bunch of guys, the cream of AM radio.  You replied to my message without having ever seen me face-to-face. I apppericate your sympathy and concern and hope to be back on the air one of these days.

73, Gary Carson
KD5CPL
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »

Hope you are feeling better.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:42:11 PM »

There's a good crew in 5-Land who I'm sure will help you work out the details, Gary. High power, low power - run what you can, when you can.

Best wishes for the future.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015