The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:24:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Viking  (Read 2556 times)
Don, W2DL

« on: January 27, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »

Hello all,
A friend of mine just called and said his Viking all of a sudden lost all audio, tubes are lit, RF output is normal. As I remember this rig uses a driver transformer to go from single plate to P-P grids, and I also somehow remember the driver xfmr does have a habit of developing an open winding. Question is, if it does turn out to be the driver xfmr would a Stancor A53C work? This is rated 10k single plate to 90k p-p grids, or 1:3 ratio. I don't know if the grids in the Viking pull any grid current under modulation, if so the rig might need a more normal Class B driver xfmr which can drive the grids into the proper region.  Any ideas ? I do have a Stancor A53C, that's why I mention it. A proper class B driver xfmr would be a lot harder to locate, I'm afraid.

Don, W2DL

Don, W2DL
57years a ham!!
ka3zlr
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:19:43 AM »

Good Morning Don,

On the two Viking II's that i have restored, I replaced the driver transformers with Hammond 124B series here's a link if you want to look at the specs:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/124.htm

It's a nice little tranny fits well in the stock position and it has some nice criteria.

Jack.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:08:22 AM »

Check the cap feeding the audio level pot. The past two I did had a leaky cap saturating the audio driver tube.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:15:32 AM »

zlr has the good dope. I used 2 of those trannys in 2 of my viking 2's over the years. The stock one is a joke, as is the entire stock low level viking 1/2 audio system.

the "universal" hammond driver transformers from antique electronic supply is also a good choice.

http://www.tubesandmore.com

WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 12:19:30 PM »

I had an A53 in one of my V2s. it is a bit larger than the stock one.
I changed the driver to a 6AQ5. It worked AB1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015