The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:40:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A special day today  (Read 5088 times)
wd8das

« on: January 19, 2009, 02:39:43 PM »

It is indeed a special day today.  I'm working on the restoration of my old WRL Galaxy 300 SSB transceiver - my first SSB rig I bought as a new General lo those many years ago.  I had to pull use all my savings, plus cash gifts from my parents and grandmother to scrape enough money to buy it mail-order from Associated Radio in Kansas City.  I think it cost $229.

This is the rig that put me in the hospital on Martin Luther King Day 1977 or 1978.   I was 13-14 years old, fooling around one evening in my room, trying to determine why there was a tube shield on the Galaxy's 6BZ6 RF amp tube.  It is located right behind the finals in the PA compartment.

At one point I got very careless.  With the transceiver turned on (bad), in fact transmitting a full-power carrier (very bad), I lifted the lid and reached back in with my right hand to remove the 6BZ6's shield. Trouble is, to get to it I reached over the two 6HF5 finals and their plate caps with about 900 volts DC, plus a couple hundred watts of RF.  My wrist touched the plate caps at the same time my fingers reached the tube shield, and the shocking and the burning commenced.  My hand drew up in a fist, making it seemingly impossible to pull it back out. With the pain of the electric shock and RF burns I couldn't get my hand out!  Fortunately I was only using one hand for this madness, and I ultimately pushed myself away with my other hand on the wooden desk.  This also meant that the current had only flowed through my hand and arm, not across my chest (very good).

I had some pretty serious and painful burns on my hand and forearm.  Clutching my wounded limb, I sat on my bed considering my options.  I had a VERY BIG CONCERN that if I told my parents what had happened they'd stop my ham hobby dead.  I was also very embarrassed to have hurt myself in such a dumb way.  But I was also hurting pretty bad, and worried about the side-effects of a strong shock, so I concluded to be up-front about it.  Not sure now how I would have hidden the injuries anyway. now that I think about it thirty years later. 

They handled it very well, and took me to the hospital emergency room.  The doctor did not understand the situation very well and was checking my feet for burns, worried about my heart, etc - and he demanded that I be kept overnight.  I was admitted and put into a bed in a room with eight patients. 

All night long, every few minutes one or another of these poor souls needed a nurse for something and would start calling out, ringing bells, moaning and crying.  The nurse would finally enter, switching on the gigantic bank of fluorescent lights that lit the whole room like the surface of the sun.  Click... zzzzzz.. , snap, snap, snap as the lights fired individually and finally hummmmmm they were on and I was blinded by the light.  No sleep for me, and I spent part of the the next day in the hospital wasting a school holiday - Martin Luther King Day.

My parents never said a word in judgment of my foolishness or against ham radio because of this accident.   And I was able to "milk" my injury to get me out of gym class for several months (very good).

"Before" photos of the Galaxy 300 at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34505242@N02/sets/72157612756003726/

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston-at-aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
-----------------------------------------------------
Radio is your best entertainment value.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »

I bet you waited for that package to arrive by "Railway Express". That was pre-UPS in those days.

My first package was an audio amplifier kit from Heathkit.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:34:26 PM »

I bet you waited for that package to arrive by "Railway Express".
Fred

"Slightly higher west of the Rockies..........."

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »

Nice brass strap there to turn the PA bandswitch -a very fine feature. I see the little tube shield there behind the PA tubes also. That is one very clean rig there, I like it!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
wd8das

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »

This evening, after a couple small repairs and alignment, the Galaxy 300 seems to be working fine.  One of the sideband generator crystals had drifted too far out to be adjusted by the trimmer, so I added a series 12pF cap and that provided the ability to get it on frequency. It was also challenging to calibrate the VFO over the whole range on the dial.  Spin the dial, adjust the trimmer.  Spin the dial, adjust the inductor, Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.  Then I read the manual and found  it only promised calibration would hold over a narrower spread.  Not much else wrong, and now it seems to be meeting specs all around.

The first time I spun the dial with an antenna connected what do I hear? - the distinctive laugh of a friend of mine from a couple kcs away. I tuned him in and found Pat WB9GKZ was spieling with a an old codger on or about 3820 kHz. At least that's what the dial said, and I'd just calibrated it. I threw in a couple wise cracks and was rewarded with a good report.

Steve WD8DAS

WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »

Steve,
Ever consider tack welding the lid shut just in case......
Glad your ticker is still ticking.
wd8das

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »

"After" photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34505242@N02/3211879080/in/set-72157612756003726/

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston@aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.

N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 03:46:10 AM »

Very nice rig, Steve.

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 08:25:57 AM »

Wow look at that!  Is that a 6x9 speaker in the powersupply "compartment"?  Ever consider putting a vintage 1970s Jensen Triaxle in there?  (I remember all my older brothers friends had them pumping out Led Zepplin and Kansas from the trunks of their MOPAR muscle cars!) hee hee

kx5jt

AMI#1684
wd8das

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 09:11:33 AM »

Yes, there's definitely room for an automotive hi-fi speaker in there.  There's also room to build a hi-fi amp in there, so I could get the power supply console to double as a shack amplified speaker system.  -grin-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015