The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:41:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful homebrew transmitter  (Read 5506 times)
W9RAN

« on: January 11, 2009, 10:43:45 PM »

You know where:  http://tinyurl.com/a5rrob

Some needs to go get this in Ohio before those machine-turned panels overcome my better judgment.  I can't even guess how many hours were put into them alone.

Clueless seller says it's AM, some room for debate, but I see four tubes behind the perf metal panel plus a couple of what could be 811s.  Just way more hardware here than a CW-only rig should need.  Plus he says it comes with an external xfmr despite some big iron on the lower level.

Finals are missing - with that style base whaddya think, maybe a pair of 211s?   Looks like a TZ-40 driver.  The placard shows dial settings for 80 thru 10 meters, including 15, so that would date it after 1952.   

Panels, matched meters, quality components - it's obvious whoever built this transmitter was a master craftsman; it certainly deserves to be put back on the air.    Vade retro me, Satana!

73, Bob W9RAN
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:20:43 PM »

It's a thing of beauty for sure...too far from me and I'm completely backed up with projects!

Rats!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:50:20 AM »

Neat rig, Bob.  A lot of hard work went into that thing.  Ah, too much heavy metal here now to add to the collection.  And I've got another in the works, too.  Someone will make good use of this fine-biz transmitter.   

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
W7XXX
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:29:32 AM »

I see two separate RF decks. The top is a fixed frequency and higher power judged by the size of the swinging link final coil and National tuning capacitor. The grid circuit also appears fixed freq and made to take some driving power.

The lower RF deck appears multiband with plug in coils and the final is also swinging link. I wonder if this wasn't a medium powered multiband xmtr which could be used to drive the higher powered single band deck for a favorite band of the designer.

I see in the write up, the seller says a big heavy transformer is included. The area of two red leads in the bottom PS must be where the xfmr was removed for moving this beast. I see no sign of plate AM.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »

That was my beef too. I didn't see any sign of a modulator. A lot of care was used constructing the VFO though.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:44:53 PM »

I would put as much care into building my own speech amp and modulator in the same style. The homebrew gear we will leave behind when we go is a part of us and memorializes us as well as a headstone if not better.

It's nice knowing my HB rig is still together out in Ohio. I wish I had never sold it.  Cry
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 09:55:03 PM »

someone used buy it now. Anyone from here I hope?  Huh
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:47:34 PM »

Looks like it didn't sell and just had one (declined) offer.

He's got other stuff listed, so someone could contact him through one of those auctions with an offer.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »

I agree with the others that it looks like there is no modulator and only goes down to 80M.
Could it be CW only??
Unless the transformer the seller has is the mod iron.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »

That was my beef too. I didn't see any sign of a modulator. A lot of care was used constructing the VFO though.

What VFO?  I see an 807 driving a Taylor something which drives the amp which is probably 810's, 250TH's or similar judging by the component size. I believe I see a pair of grid clips in the photo.

CW only but I dont understand the elaborate regulated PS deck unless the finals are tetrodes and he used it on SSB with regulated screens and bypassed the driver stage???

It doesnt all add up.

Carl
KM1H

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »

CW only but I don't understand the elaborate regulated PS deck unless the finals are tetrodes and he used it on SSB with regulated screens and bypassed the driver stage???

Could be that some of those tubes are not regulators but perhaps 4 6Y6 tubes as a cathode modulator.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »

Carl said:
What VFO?  I see an 807 driving a Taylor something which drives the amp which is probably 810's, 250TH's or similar judging by the component size. I believe I see a pair of grid clips in the photo.

Carl, I was basing that on the rear photo. It shows a set of presumably grid coils for the 807. Just a matter of a adj. cap. It also is set-up as a doubler also. I have a similar setup in the ET-4336F. An 807 with a set of fixed caps and a roller inductor. It also serves as a doubler.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015