The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:44:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking Navigator meter  (Read 2945 times)
n4wc

« on: January 02, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »

Does anyone know what the current rating of the Viking Navigator meter is?  Is it 5ma or 10ma or possibly some other value?  I have an EMICO 1ma meter.  The 6146 final usually has 2 to 3 ma of grid current.  I need to shunt this meter for grid current, but there is a fixed value shunt resistor (33 ohm) switched in for plate current.  Any help would be appreciated.

N4WC   Bill Cook

Bill Cook
W2FAL
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 08:34:12 PM »

I can't help you with the specifics of the meter, but check out this site for help with a shunt for the replacement meter:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/shunts/shunts.html
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 04:57:03 AM »

FYI, the Navigator meter movement was 10ma...

If you can find one, a replacement meter with a 0 to 10ma scale is an Electro - Mechacinal Instrument Co., (EMICO) model #2326.  That company is/was in Perkasie, PA. It appears to be what Johnson used with their custom face on it as their OEM part number 22.1403.

A scan of the Johnson scale that will fit in the above meter can be obtained from W2FAL
He is okay in QRZ.

The  Navigator scale is not calibrated for the 6146 grid current but the calibration on the meter face is 250ma full scale and you load the 6146 to 115ma.

The manual and meter face (under the 250 scale) reads to peak the grid for max drive.

If you find  that meter or one similar, let me know where as I have been
looking for a replacement  for my Navigator for years.

By the way, where did you find the EMICO meter you have? I assume your meter fits the panel hole on the Navigator

If you wish to use your 0 to 1ma meter, make a shunt for full scale of 10ma using the
info in the previous post here....(By W2FAL  Grin)

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:05:52 AM »

It's a shame I scanned a manual for that on line and it mentioned very little about that meter, M-1..

As I understand it, the biggest curse of that rig was the slamming of the meter movement in operation...or maybe some ops operated it that way and ah well I never had one...so I don't know...

If it were me I'd sit down with that thing an redesign that monitoring circuit and use a much more Stable metering system. Johnson was notorious about such things...can't expect to much from those kits..

Meaning No Disrespect here...

Jack.

n4wc

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:40:26 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I thought it might be 10ma.  I have obtained 2 EMICO 1ma meters over the years.  The last one with a cracked plastic lens ($3) was from Allen Bond (MaxGainSys) a year or so ago.  The internal resistance measures ~880 ohms with my Fluke 8020A, and this on the 2k scale.  It won't even peg the meter.  Both of these meters are ~880 ohms.  I guess no very low resistance wire shunts for this one ;-).

73 N4WC

Bill Cook
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015