The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:40:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enjoy Your Membership Benefits.  (Read 14417 times)
ka3zlr
« on: January 02, 2009, 01:37:48 PM »

Can't believe it....I got a Notice to Join... Smiley

$39.00 1 year.
$76.00 2 years.
$111.00 3 years.

Ya Know I wonder if there's an Adjustment for Life members that paid in the 80's as Compared what it costs today, or is it the same..?

ah well.

jack.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 02:46:37 PM »

Can't believe it....I got a Notice to Join... Smiley

$39.00 1 year.
$76.00 2 years.
$111.00 3 years.

Ya Know I wonder if there's an Adjustment for Life members that paid in the 80's as Compared what it costs today, or is it the same..?

ah well.

jack.

There are many ways Life Members can contribute on going throughout their life span and beyond. It's all in the long term commitment which, for many amateurs, doesn't exist. Instant gratification is the only thing that works for them.

https://www.arrl.org/forms/development/donations/diamondclub/index.html

http://www.arrl.org/development/maxim.html#top

https://www.arrl.org/forms/fdefense/

https://www.arrl.org/forms/development/donations/education/2008/

http://www.arrl.org/endoww1aw.html

http://www.arrl.org/development/funds.html#top

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W9JCM
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:44:47 PM »

I made the mistake to join again last year. Needless to say its the same old horse and pony show with them. I do like to look at qst but the articles are horrible I pretty much end up looking at ads for the equipment on the market. I even ordered the 50 years of innovation book it was disappointing because these jerks used black and white photo's for all the equipment. But of course use a nice color one on the cover to entice you. Got some calendar with it also that most of what is showed was the biggest POS equipment ever made. Gee I love a tr22 on my wall!  So I believe that they show no regard for AM operators, QST's content is dumbed down for the no code extra's that have no idea the difference between 75/80 meters (heard that on the air the other day) and the bottom line is the ARRL is in "business" to sell books and promote what "they" feel ham radio should be and anyone else is left by the way side till its time to renew your membership. So not this time ARRL I will pass.
W1EUJ
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »

ARRL has been good to me.

Lots of help, advice, contacts, visits from my section leadership. SM stopped by our club meeting back what I was working hard to revive it; checking in how we are doing, want to know if there is anything they can do to help, with speakers, activities and such. Boy was that nice!

Has anybody here even used the Technical Infomation Service?? They got me to the very people I needed for my power line issue (even offered to analyse the recordings I made), my antenna issue, and even some off the wall questions!

Nice magazine with useful articles (to all those who complain about the quality - if you want better articles, write them!) ranging from boatanchors to satellite to DX to beginner and beyond - REAL product reviews (I defy you to find performance measurements like that anywhere else!). All those articles, to way back when, are not free online to members! Read the missives of the T.O.M.

ARRL serves its members and all American hams as well, if not better, that other national hobby-specific organization. Tell me of a better one... Who publishes several different magazines to cover the different facets of the hobby? Publishes books considered references for the RF designer AND for many subsets of the hobby? Goes toe-to-toe on the BPL issue with hard data and a legal presence?

I wish my professional organization was this good, for the price. Boy, IEEE will suck your wallet dry for almost nothing in return. Kinda confuses me when somebody complains about ARRL costing so much and then spending that amount on bad food at a hamfest. All those services, for what you'd pay for a couple of big breadslicers on a good day? It's a good deal.

This is a weak defense of the ARRL. Others can, and have, done a better job. I'm just telling you what I think they have done well.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »

I agree with Dave,

I have been a LM since the 70s. ARRL has been helpful to me. I may not agree with every direction they take but they have a diverse membership to attract and cater to. We (AM) are very much in the minority- and if you don't think so just tune across the bands. But they have John Dilks column and other items that regularly appear.

Until I am willing to run for office and be an active participant in the ARRL process l'll hold some of my powder. But at least they represent the concept of my hobby- Wireless communications.

I too got the book and was disappointed that it was all B&W photos.
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

It was a black and white world back in the "good old days". Product ad picture should have given you a clue.

These below were all done with B/W pictures.

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:33:59 PM »

". Product ad picture should have given you a clue.

Really...... I think not Peter. Here is the picture from the ad I ordered off of on the ARRL Web site.

If you doubt that too, check it out at http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?item=0228#top. Got there right from the link on the home page.

The link that the League first sends you to shows a color photograph of an SX-28, ordering information and no mention in the text that the inside is B&W. I agree if I had dug into another layer of links I would have seen the inside shot. How much due diligence do I need to do to buy a book?

In addition I own the other three books and the Hallicrafters book has some color shots- From the ER Web Site " Radios by Hallicrafters....more than 800 photographs (many in color).....

I am almost certain the Ostermann book has color pics but I will agree that Moores does not.

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 05:43:25 PM »

". Product ad picture should have given you a clue.

Really...... I think not Peter. Here is the picture from the ad I ordered off of on the ARRL Web site.

If you doubt that too, check it out at http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?item=0228#top. Got there right from the link on the home page.

The link that the League first sends you to shows a color photograph of an SX-28, ordering information and no mention in the text that the inside is B&W. I agree if I had dug into another layer of links I would have seen the inside shot. How much due diligence do I need to do to buy a book?

In addition I own the other three books and the Hallicrafters book has some color shots- From the ER Web Site " Radios by Hallicrafters....more than 800 photographs (many in color).....

I am almost certain the Ostermann book has color pics but I will agree that Moores does not.
Carl
/KPD
From your link above, on the same page is the title:
50 Years of Amateur Radio Innovation (Details)
I generally check the "details" if the product/sales ad provides them. It generally suppresses the surprise factor when I receive the product. If you click the details. as the picture shows in my previous post, the page is B/W.

http://www.arrl.org/news/images/nms/fullsized/506.jpg

All of Ostermann's interior photos are B/W. Only the cover is color.

And, ...Radios by Hallicrafters....more than 800 photographs (many in color)
"Many" is relative; of the 232 pages there were about 40 in color (TV's, desktop radios, boxes, patches, jewelry, a few communication radios).

Also Penson's Heathkit Guide is all B/W photos.

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:24:52 PM »

I've noticed that people who generally denigrate the ARRL, usually have a particular bone or two to pick and base their arguments mostly on that.  Then they say how they don't listen to me/US whoever.  I guess you have to look at the overall picture.  First rule, You CAN'T make EVERYONE Happy.  If you do well, you will make a few people happy, a lot of people feel ok, and tick off the rest.

They DO fight to protect amature operating spectrum and priveleges.
They are usually the ones to get the gob'mints ear on topics of and concerning amature radio.
They have elections for key positions, that a member in good standing can run in.

I'd say that if the organization is ticking you off about something, Join up and run for office. Once you are one of THEM you might be able to make good, positive changes. Of course, once your one of THEM, people will say how you don't listen to us, you hate my mode/rig/haircolor etc...

OR you could just sit on your stump and BPM about it to anyone who wanders by...

Third option, sit back in the operating position with a cold 807 and enjoy life before your in the ground. To short for all complaining.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 07:08:41 PM »

Third option, sit back in the operating position with a cold 807 and enjoy life before your in the ground. To short for all complaining.

Ed
Sounds like good advice
First rounds on me
Carl
/KPD

* 621689621_38d7e5539e.jpg (118.64 KB, 374x500 - viewed 727 times.)

Carl

W1EUJ
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 07:49:51 PM »

I'll take one of those IPA's in the Smuttynose box.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 02:10:46 AM »

There is alot of angst in these posts, but it's not necessary.

I guess the ARRL dumbed down the 75 meter band right out of the phone part of the chart, making no discrimination between the lowly rabble of the General class and those sainted Advanced and Extra folks. Should they have printed 75/80 on the chart? Wouldn't they have to print 85 on there too to cover the CW portion so those folks wouldn't be unhappy? Would anyone have a clue unless they actually did the math?

Blanket negative statements about no-code extras always amuse me, but then it has been said that I am too dull, lazy, and indolent to learn the code, and that I can't type either.

I am certain that if I were to invent something so fantastic as a faster than light "hyperwave"(tm) radio in the course of my amateur radio experimentation, there would be, to everyone's total lack of astonishment, some OM who would rise up from his crusty perch (no doubt in the cellar next to his water pipe where his ground is), and with bony finger a-waggling, point out that I had not first learned the International Morse Code and therefore had no business playing in the deep end of the pool. This is just a bad attitude and downright unfriendly, yet it pervades the entire service and hobby. Like a pimple it appears and is annoying for a while.

Complaining about whether someone was required to take this element or that, or about the ARRL, without suggesting a solution or workaround for a problem is counterproductive. It was already suggested by many people during rule making that the technical parts of the license examinations should be made more comprehensive to compensate for the removal of one skill.

The FCC declined to do so and that is the decision all of us have to live by if or until it is changed which will probably be never. And that is no excue either to bash anyone who took the required tests and pased them, whenever the date may have been. There is no real reason to bash the ARRL. The ARRL is doing the best it can, never has been perfect and never will be perfect. How soon some of its good work is forgotten, such as opposing BPL and other noise.

I renewed my membership in an effort to support the organization that gives a generally positive voice to amateur radio where politics are concerned. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it. Since I don't like politics and don't want to or have time to do, the ARRL's political "dirty job", I'll support the ARRL by way of my membership to help them with their generally good works.

I know what the wouff-hong and rettysnitch stand for. Their functions are in the face of such rotten comments incomplete for the requirements of today. I am often wondering what the proper New Tool(tm) would be to correct unfriendly attitudes and curmudgeonry in amateur radio? Will the New Tool(tm), wrapped in correspondence, mysteriously show up at the ARRL HQ like the wouff-hong of old? What would it look like?

* 80meters.gif (5.4 KB, 352x177 - viewed 737 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »

Good points. Not knowing CW has nothing to do with whether someone knows what wavelength the are using. And even that is silly. How many of us have a radio where the dial reads out in wavelength? We use frequency, which is measured in Hertz. Pretty simple really.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »

I gave up on caring about the ARRgghhL years ago! Cry

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1EUJ
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »

I gave up on caring about the ARRgghhL years ago! Cry

And yet, it's never given up caring about you.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 10:24:46 PM »

Dave said:
And yet, it's never given up caring about you.

I beg to differ!!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1EUJ
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 10:44:02 PM »

OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015