The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 02:34:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D104 MPF102 follower static sensitivity  (Read 36884 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: December 31, 2008, 01:42:36 PM »

I just zapped another MPF102 source follower for the zillion'th time that's mounted in the base of a modified D104 by changing mike plug from a cold (turned off) PA amp. (813 rig) to the cold 32V2.  Input impedance resistor in the gate lead is 16 megs with a 50 pf bypass. Any static could zap the gate I guess.  Sometimes it's a crap shoot. 

So I placed back to back 1000prv/2.5 a silicon diodes, gate to ground.
A. anyone done this?  what does this do to the 10 megs. gate impedance given that the diodes aren't supposed to conduct until 0.7 volts or so.
B. Any effect on the audio by some other means I haven't thought of?
The output looks reduced and 'highs only' on a scope but an air check's probably in order.
I've probably made a net few k ohms or worese out of what was once 16 megs.

modified post later.
Just zapped it again. diodes didn't help.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »

The diodes have some amount of capacitance, so depending on how much, this could reduce the high frequency response.
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »

In addition to the capacitance that Steve pointed out, the diodes have a (non-linear) resistance at zero volts bias that is much lower than that of the FET.

I'm not sure why you have the a 16 megohm resistor between the microphone element and the FET. Separately, where is the 50pF bypass capacitor?

I would suggest the following:

The D-104 looks like an ideal voltage source in series with a 1000 pF capacitor (equivalent circuit).

Eliminate the 16 Megohm resistor.

Put a 1000pF capacitor from gate to ground on the source follower amplifier. This will form a 6dB voltage divider at the input of the FET... but it will not produce any frequency roll off or roll up. It will also protect the FET's gate from static discharges etc.

Best regards
Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 03:20:36 PM »

The best solution would be to toss out altogether that shitty Astatic "power mike" module in the G-Stand base and use the mic as an original hi-Z output D-104,  with an outboard FET or tube-type microphone pre-amp.  The mic would also sound much better.  Doesn't the 32V use a high-Z microphone input?  What about the 813 rig?

Astatic recommends loading down the xtal element with five megohms, but I use 10 megohms with mine, which results in better low-end response.

To reduce hum and noise, Astatic used to recommend using the original microphone (that contained only the xtal element attached to a shielded cable) with a push-pull pre-amp, wiring the D-104 xtal element for balanced output.  A two-conductor shielded mic cord is used, with each terminal of the xtal element connected to one of the shielded leads, and the shield grounded to the body of the microphone case.  At the pre-amp input, a 5-meg resistor connects from each balanced wire  to ground, and two tubes or fet's at the input are fed with the hi-z balanced line, and the two tubes/fets are used in a push-pull circuit. 

I am considering building up a pushpull tube-type pre-amp for mine, and seeing if I can run the tube filaments on a.c. and still be hum-free.  Right now I use an unbalanced input tube pre-amp with a 12AX7, but I have to run the filaments on rectified and filtered 12 VDC to avoid hum.

The D-104 xtal element uses an ushielded plastic case, with neither terminal grounded to anything, making the balanced output circuit a feasible option.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »

1000 V PIV diodes are way too slow. I would use something like a 1N4148 or 1N914. They also have a lower C. Also put a transorb slightly above the battery voltage on the drain to ground.
Stu, I wouldn't unload the gate because it could build up a charge and hold the FET in saturation or off. The source has a resistor to ground so every leg has a path to limit high voltage
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 05:08:56 PM »

The best solution would be to toss out altogether that shitty Astatic "power mike" module in the G-Stand base and use the mic as an original hi-Z output D-104,  with an outboard FET or tube-type microphone pre-amp.  The mic would also sound much better.  Doesn't the 32V use a high-Z microphone input?  What about the 813 rig?

The Astatic preamps did not have any FETs in them. I'm assuming what Rick is using is homebrew.
AB2EZ

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

Further thought

In addition to the changes I suggested in my earlier post... I wonder if the problem is really at the output.

The transistor is sensitive to the voltage between the gate and the source. Even if the gate is bypassed to ground with a 1000 pF capacitor (which is okay to do because the D-104 cartridge looks like a voltage source in series with a 1000 pf capacitor), you still have to worry about a transient across the source resistor (which would cause a transient between the source and the gate).

I suggest that you also place a capacitor directly across the source resistor... whose value produces a capacitive reactance that is approximately equal to the resistance of the source resistor at 10 kHz. I.e. if the source resistor is 1000 ohms, then bypass it with .015 uF.

Frank:

I agree with your point about having a path to leak off any charge that accumulates on the gate of the FET. I wonder if the small amount of input conductance of the FET is sufficient. I.e., I don't know whether having a 10M ohm or a 15 M ohm resistor from gate to ground is really necessary. The source follower is not too sensitive to a voltage offset between gate and ground.

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »

Stu,
I've seen FETs of many die sizes hold a charge enough to make you think there was a gate source short. We made this cool high power pulse driver Customer asked us to run some transient tests on the 28 volts. Good thing an 80 volt positive transient came darn close to turning the driver on. We had a relay in series with the output  so nothing would have happened but we did go back and change the RC slope control on the gate to less R and more C to bleed off the transient coming through the drain-gate C
AB2EZ

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 09:30:07 PM »

Frank

Based on your comments... a 10 or 15 megohm resistor between gate and ground is a necessary addition.

With 1000pF from gate to ground and 10 megohms in parallel, the time constant will be .01 seconds... which should be small enough to leak off any charge accumulation.

Happy New Year
Stu

WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »

I should have said drain source short. I would think so on the rc compared to the human body model for esd. (not milm  std 331 though). Aiso with protection on the drain
w1vtp

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 11:11:24 PM »

My 2 cents:

http://members.cox.net/n4jk/d104.htm

Seen this page for a few years.  I admit that the 2.7 meg ohm is probably a bit low

Al VTP
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »

Thanks for all the thoughts. Yes, I've been using the MPF102 homebrew source follower (or switchable phase using the drain connection) in the base of the D-104 on the 813 rig for many years.  You did hear it the other night Don.  The original crappy Astatic 'power mike' 2 transistor amp was removed but the battery clip and long terminal lug were retained for the MPF102 single stage.   

It's just when I unplug it from, say the 813 and reconnect it to some other rig that something zaps the MPF102. Sometimes it's a year or so before I zap it and sometimes, like today, twice.  I try to remember to turn off the rigs; if I don't it definitely will pop.  Sometimes even with the rigs off.  So I've been trying to sink extraneous voltages such as T/r residuals from the 32V2's PTT line (you know there's a lot of voltage there.) that stray into the audio without sucking down fidelity in the audio in/out lines.

One sure cure is too leave this mike plugged into the 813 rig all the time.  It's sounds fine with it's high resistance load as you've all heard. Thence into a PA amp, w/ 5 ch. EQ,, thence into the 811A or 572B's modulator (through a backwards ex-output transformer driving the grids.) 

I removed the diodes ; they did suck down the highs and knocked audio down overall. Was worth a try.   You know, a 6C4 or half 12aX7 cathode follower might be the way to go.  ... a lot more EMP proof  Grin  ..just a little hard to fit in the base.

RICK  *W3RSW*
AB2EZ

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 11:46:17 PM »

Al

The circuit in that reference has a few shortcomings... but they are easily fixed.

After correcting for the typo (the electrolytic capacitor at the output probably was supposed to be labeled 1uF) the circuit cannot drive an input having an impedance lower than about 5k ohms at low frequencies. A 1uF capacitor has a reactance of 5305 ohms at 30 Hz.

If you replace the 1uF capacitor with a 10uF capacitor (to be able to drive a 600 ohm transceiver input), or if you are sure that this preamp will be driving an input whose impedance is 5,000 ohms or greater... then that will fix the low end roll off at the output.

Likewise, as we know, a 5 or 10 Megohm resistor from gate to ground would take care of the roll off at the input. The 1000pF series capacitor in the equivalent circuit of the D-104's crystal element has a reactance of 5,305,000 ohms at 30 Hz. Thus a 5 Megohm resistor from gate to ground will produce a 3dB rolloff at 30 Hz.

This still leaves open the original question regarding protection against static discharges and/or other transients.

Perhaps the rf filters at the input and the output of this circuit would be sufficient to protect against transients.

Happy New Year!

Stu

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 02:07:13 AM »

This is an interesting thread. I like some of the ideas presented by Stu with modeling the crystal element as a capacitor.

I never really thought the MPF-102 was particularly static sensitive like IG-FETs (the ones that come with all leads tied together with a wrap around shorting wire). I typically use the 2N5458 or 2N5459 when I need a N channel J-Fet. I still got some left over from a poly-paks assortment. Remember poly-paks?

I once built a source follower using a GaAs FET (MRF966) and I protected the gate with two hot carrier diodes where each was biased off 2 volts to limit the gate swing to +/- 2v Peak. This was used on a military active antenna Direction finder array for 20-80 Mhz. I never lost a FET even with a 10w 225 Mhz transmitter antenna about 1 meter away.

The original post brought up using power supply diodes as a clamp for the MPF-102 gate. These diodes can have a lot of junction capacitance. See the following link here:

http://www.hanssummers.com/radio/varicap/diode/index.htm

I have a tube VFO with varactor diode tuning using dual 1N4007's. This works extremely well. If I were to clamp the fet input, I'd use something more like a signal diode such as the 1N4148 or 1N914. These have < 1 pf junction capacitance and this does not vary much with changing the reverse bias voltage.

HNY,
Jim
WD5JKO
ka3zlr
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 03:40:30 AM »

Hi Rick,

Plenty good circuit theory here OM FB, Good Thread... I was never much on Amplified Mics either like Don Old school all the way but, in the situation of multi xmitters why not establish your audio at one location an then apply it via a mixer then on out to the xmitters..just flick a switch or knob at the IP...I'm Hip on the EMP thought though...

73 OM Happy New Year..

Jack.

AB2EZ

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 08:14:40 AM »

See attached diagrams

HNY!

* D-104 Equivalent circuit.jpg (33.29 KB, 960x720 - viewed 804 times.)

* D-104 Preamp.jpg (52.78 KB, 960x720 - viewed 916 times.)

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 12:32:43 PM »

Something you could also try is an ESD supressor. The place I work for makes them:

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/families/protection/protection.htm

there are many configurations including diode arrays, diodes arrays with zeners, etc, and they are very fast. Some with capacitances below 1 pF, others with higher cap as you may prefer. They clamp at 5V and up so should protect the FET. Any of them designed for USB protection would likely do well. I'm not an expert but some big names use them by the millions. The only difficulty might be they you'd have to deal with a surface mount package. The DVIULC6-4SC6 has a SOT-223 package which is not too hard to use and it can protect 4 lines.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
nu2b
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 01:16:01 PM »

Stu,
The crystal element, as you described, is essentially a capacitor
in series with a voltage source.
(you might also want to insert a small ~2K series resistor)

The addition of the shunt capacitor to ground across the
5Meg gate resistor has another interesting effect at low freqs.
In addition to the 6db voltage drop caused by the capacitor voltage
divider action (assuming Cshunt = Celement), the effective series
cap will be doubled (impedance lowered) and low-frequency response
will be extended by a factor of two.

This effectively is a Thevenin capacitor equivalent to a resistive
circuit where, for example, a 1volt source with series 1k, when shunted
to ground with a 1k has an output of 1/2 volt (-6 dbV) with a source
resistance that has been lowered to 500 ohms.

This is the reason that a crystal mike can drive a long length of
shielded cable (shunt cap to ground) with few ill-effects,
as long as shielding is not compromised by ground loops.

I would go with Franks suggestion of using in4148's back-to-back
at the output with the addition of a 1k series resistor after
the diodes to protect them current-wise. The 1k resistor will
not affect frequency response or gain if the following stage
is 25k or so,
Regards,
BobbyT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »

Bob,
Those 1N4148s will surprise you in transient current rating and blow short protecting the FET.  I test a lot of transient protection devices. Some of these larger transorbs will surprise you when they handle over twice their rating at 85 degrees C and not break a sweat. The only problem is junction c so you need a good diode ahead of them to isolate the junction. We even bias them sometimes. Manyof these little RS485/422 transceivers go boom when they see more than 15 volts.......When you induce 100 volts on the twisted pair life can be short.
AB2EZ

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 05:00:43 PM »

Bobby T.

Agreed on the effect of the parallel capacitor. I have sometimes used a 5000pF capacitor from grid to ground (given the high output of a D-104) so that I could use the D-104 with a preamp having an existing 1M ohm grid-to-ground resistor. Per your comments: with a 5000pF from grid to ground, one obtains 1/6th the output... but the roll off frequency (for a given resistance from grid to ground) is 6 times lower.

Frank et. al.

Yes, on the output side of the preamp (much lower impedance than the input side), a diode-type protection circuit would provide a higher degree of protection than just the capacitor shown in the diagram I posted. On the other hand, the capacitor might be sufficient for the application at hand.

Best regards

Stu

WA1GFZ

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 05:12:21 PM »

all depends on the width of the pulse....
WA1QHQ

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »

Rick,

I have a homebrew preamp in the base of my D-104 using an MPF102 and have had no static zap problems. I utilized the switch in the desk stand to remove power from the preamp when not transmitting and to also short the output of the preamp to ground when not transmittng (unkeyed). If you are not doing this it may be a good idea to provide additional protection.

Mark WA1QHQ
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »

Thanks Mark.
If I leave the mike plugged in, T/R operations pose no problem.
Somehow switching the mike to other rigs sooner or later poses the problem.
My internal battery is also switched by the stock column T/R switch set of spare contacts in D-104.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »

There are IEC standards and GR1089 standards, and also human body and machine models for ESD. If a few people would like a couple samples of ESD or transient (line crossing) protection devices, PM me with the PNs from that site. But is it really ESD or is something else going on? Could there be a voltage on that connector's pins?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »

Someone needs to make kits to convert the D104 to a FET amp, instead of the stock amp. I took the stock amp out of mine, but rewired it to run straight from the mike element to the radio. But since there is an impedence mismatch between the radio and the D104, the audio doesn't have any lows, unless you are 1 inch from the microphone. I figure that is because the low frequencies are loud enough to basically force their way through the mike. Am I on the right track, or am I way off?
So I tried to fix the problem with a small transformer, but that doesn't quite work the way I thought it might. Where can I get the parts to build one of those amps, anyway?
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015