The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:34:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Variac hook-up?  (Read 3801 times)
KB3RJH
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:10:57 PM »

OK, kinda feels like a silly question but, here goes...

I have a panel mount 12amp (says max 15amps) variac that I am having trouble figuring out how to hook up. I have looked at a bunch of "How to hook up a panel mounted variac" sites and they keep talking about 5 terminals. The one I have only has terminals for 1,3 and 4. 2 and 5 holes are there but no terminals. Is there still a way to use this or do I have to be able to use the 2 and 5 terminals for this to work properly. If so, what should I use terminal-wise and where do the terminals connect to on the coil? The reason I am asking is because on one of the sites it was talking about using the 1 and 4 terminals for up to 170v or something to that effect. I just want to make sure I'm hooking this thing up correctly... 

Anthony
KB3RJH
W4EWH

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »

I have a panel mount 12amp (says max 15amps) variac that I am having trouble figuring out how to hook up. I have looked at a bunch of "How to hook up a panel mounted variac" sites and they keep talking about 5 terminals. The one I have only has terminals for 1,3 and 4.

Anthony,

Get an ohmmeter, and measure the resistances between all three terminals.

• Two of the terminals will have a fixed resistance that does not change when you turn the shaft. These will be connected to the AC line.
  • Two terminals will show a variable resistance that can be reduced to almost zero. These two connecxt to the load.
  • The remaining two terminals should show a variable resistance, but it will never go below the value measured in the first step. These two terminals are the "high" point for the primary and secondary, and they are never connected together.

HTH.

73, Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:38:23 PM »

You will be fine. Connect the "hot" ac input to term 1,  the neutral ac input to term 4 and the output to term 3. The output and input neutral share the same connection (term 4).

So: AC input to term 1 & 4 and AC output between term 3 & 4. You should put a fuse on the output of the wiper (term 3)

The extra terms 2 & 5 are/were for output voltage above the input voltage - like 140 vac or so.

---Dave  W3NP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »

Those extra terminals can be useful if your line voltage frequently drops below normal during heavy usage, for example, temperature extremes when the line may be loaded down with climate control devices.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KB3RJH
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:02:06 PM »

Thank you for the help, I understand now... Just wanted to be sure, don't need a new hairdo today...  Tongue
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »

Put a fuse in line if you don't have one already.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015