The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:14:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show & Tell Net  (Read 5073 times)
wb1aij
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »

I have always been interested in looking at other hams shacks & hearing how they do things. The photos on the "AM Window" , QRZ.com, & this site tell part of the story but wouldn't it be cool to hear a naration as you look at the pictures? If there was a net where we could check in and all see a slide show with the owner of the station telling us what slide to look at while he/she explains what we are looking at; well that would really tell the story. Then there could be a BRIEF pause for questions and then resume.  If the owners of this website let us all post our photos in the same place it would be easy for everyone to follow along. Does anyone out there beside me think this would be fun?
Just a thought.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:24:36 AM »

Good Morning,

I am guessing as to what you are describing but it sounds like a web cast to me.

All members have an amount of space set aside here on the server to upload their photos. You can access this Gallery by using the tabs above the radio buttons with  The AM window, Reflector etc etc. Instructions to use the Gallery can be found here:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php/topic,10963.msg78266.html#msg78266

Now as far as real time live communication I can make that happen. It requires that the users have good bandwidth in order to accommodate the numbers of people that may be on the particular web cast. We had a live audio and video room years back and only a handful used it. If one person had a slow connection it would jam up the entire room. So there are some obstacles to this type of communication.

I can also install a U Tube type of section if there are enough users here that feel it would be useful. I can do whatever we all think will enhance this site. Any suggestion is welcome. Please understand that this site has been geared towards the users with slow connections, and there is still quite a few.

Am I thinking on the lines you were?

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »

Hey Bob,
I was thinking and doing  something similar about a week ago when I was surfing EHam.  I kept hitting the reload button to see new stations pop up in the upper right corner of their main page. Then went to Google in the image section and searched ham stations and then off to QRZ and did the same. 

G,
How about integrating audio clips with just snap shots? That may not take to much bandwidth to do or have a place to post power point slide shows.  Is there an application other than power point that would allow one to easily make slideshows with integrated audio?

Like the bandwidth issue there maybe many who probably don't have video capabilities. I have no video capabilities at this time.

Of course, I'd be embarrassed to show my shack (mess) in still format or video.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »

Why not just create a YouTube channel for the AM Fone crowd and folks can create their own videos and upload them there?
AMroo
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »

And some high definition pictures (MBs) of classic rigs would be great.
wb1aij
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 02:26:21 PM »

You guys are a bit ahead of me but your ideas might be better than my original one. I was thinking of maybe an informal 80 meter round table along with a slide show. This would allow interaction between the presenter & the presentees, is that even a word? I am hoping to get some insight as to how the rest of you guys connect everything together in your radio shacks. The antenna switching, the receiver muting while transmitting, audio connections from one rig to another, etc,etc,etc. I know there are better methods than I am using and I am not too proud to copy.

Bob
WB1AIJ
W4EWH

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 08:11:15 PM »

You guys are a bit ahead of me but your ideas might be better than my original one. I was thinking of maybe an informal 80 meter round table along with a slide show.

Bob,

I'd go with the youtube (or similar site) idea. I've heard on-air roundtables about off-air subjects, and they tend to be off-putting to those who aren't able to view the online info.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYB-Dsfq6Q&feature=related
wb1aij
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 10:17:15 AM »

Yeah, JUST like that, pretty cool. I have not played with audio/video stuff on the internet; never had a reason to, so now I will have to do a little research to learn how to make one of those. I don't even know how to attach an avatar to my posts. An old dog can lean new tricks. thanks
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »

This would really TEE off the GHETTO........
Do the above in the A.M. mode and run SSTV.

Go LIVE from YOUR hamshack!!!!

Try to look into the camera instead of the monitor and try to smile once in a while.
Some of these grim faces I see.................man!!!

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 12:31:39 PM »

And you can always upload pix of your station the the Gallery here. Go for it.

Yeah, JUST like that, pretty cool. I have not played with audio/video stuff on the internet; never had a reason to, so now I will have to do a little research to learn how to make one of those. I don't even know how to attach an avatar to my posts. An old dog can lean new tricks. thanks
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 09:52:18 PM »

I bet they made sure that the ship was close by to make DAM sure that the message was received.

What was that flashing towards the end of the clip?? The H.V. supply???

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015