The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:33:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You already have this stuff????  (Read 6709 times)
KG6UTS
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:45:34 PM »

Here is what I just sent to Ron W6AMI so thought to put it here too. Lemme know...

Ron,

Recently I picked up a Thordarson Multi-Match 300 Watt mod xfmr T-11M77, good for a transmitter to be driven by the Ranger 1 or B&W5100. Looking through my paper I found a lot of catalogs and manuals I'd forgotten about. Years ago I saved a bunch of catalogs etc from the 'Williams Ship Radio Company'. Mr. Ralph Williams built radios for the old Tuna fleet when the marine band was just above 160 meters using a mix of commercial and WWII surplus components. When Ralph passed the daughter wanted to sell the Point Loma house then put Mom in supervised care so let me haul away what was left in Ralph's shop. Folks had cherry picked the tubes etc but I got the transformers and chokes along with the paper just before the 40 cu yd drop body showed up for the dump run. When I got the 300 watt mod iron ( for an evil homebrew project ~8^o ) I remembered the boxes of manuals and catalogs so dug them out. Now.....

Its all good Thordarson, Stancor,Peerless, UTC etc. Would the Cal-AM like scans? Would the AM-Zone folks? What is the best scan format? Anyway, I do not know if all this is already on the web but I'm willing to scan it then pass it along, Thordarson is '34-'40 then early '50s. This stuff shouldn't be lost. If somebody in the National AM BoatAnchor community will host the files I will scan then pass them along.

EdZ KG6UTS

Thats All folks!!  (not an original line) Please Cc kg6uts@amsat.org
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:35:58 AM »

I'll host whatever you scan. I am already hosting these transformer catalogs:

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/xfm/index.html

everything else on the site is free too.

you could also check with Pete Millett. http://www.pmillett.com/ as he scans and hosts a ton of stuff including transformers.

[][][]

As far as scanning, if you really want to preserve it properly, use 300DPI gray scale (256 or more shades, not black and white (2 color)) for the pages, and scan the covers in color.
The reason I say 300DPI is that it will capture the half-tone information from the original printing and it will look darn good.
The reason I say 256 or better shades of gray is because anything less makes the small text look crappy. A true gray scale works with a high resolution to make the best product.
Typically, when beginning each catalog, you may want to do a few test pages first to adjust the light and hark, contrast, etc, so that the output is as faithful as possible, and then scan the entire article.

PDF and 300DPI gray scale is good but can be quite large. I realize there are people on slow connections, but they could after all start the download when preparing to go to work or to bed, or whatever. I'd rather have a 100MB high quality file than a 10MB crappy looking one.

Just my opinions on how I do most of my scans anyway.

best regards,
Patrick

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »

And please, don't save the files as JPEGs. I see so many manuals and schematics that are fuzzy to the point of being unreadable because they were saved as a JPEG. Remember, JPEG is for photographs, not line art and text. Use TIFF, GIF, PNG or PDF.

And you can really clean up some of these scans by judicious use of the Levels control in Photoshop or similar. This will get rid of the imperfections and coloration on the old paper and leave the text and line art nice and clear.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »

Thanks to all who are scanning and hosting this stuff; it's a great resource!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:32:32 PM »

I must comment that a PDF printer/writer sometimes uses jpeg-type compression. Set it to "zip" for a lossless PDF and don't downsample images. How or if you can do this may depend on the version. The shot is from 5.0

* 1111111111.png (30.77 KB, 586x606 - viewed 951 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 07:57:11 PM »

This is an exciting fine.  Thanks guys for this great resource.  Pat -- that's a great resource you provide

73  Al
KG6UTS
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »

Thanks for the input! I'll do some trial scans then send the product to Ron and 'Bunker of Doom'.

EdZ KG6UTS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015