The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:34:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Vu's Sure-Fire Diet Plan for the New Year  (Read 20968 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: December 17, 2008, 12:11:21 PM »

Hola,

The other day a close Vietnamese friend of mine axed me, "Tom Vu, last year you fat as pig. No wonder they call you ham. Now you thin like monkey. What is your secret?"

Yes, it is true. Last spring Tom Vu weighed in at a staggering 205 pounds. My stomach hung out like watermelon. My old 1970 high school weight was 160. I'm now down to a leaner 163 pounds for a loss of 43 pounds. (5' 10" tall)  I want to give my secrets (for flee) since most of us struggle as we age to keep weight off, especially the stomach. If only one ham loses weight, it will make more elbow room on the bands... :-)  That is a worthy goal....

Here are the Top-Ten Tom Vu diet-plan rules for 2009:

1) You can eat everything you eat now, but cut it by 1/2.  ie, If you now eat a full plate at a sitting, carefully fill the plate with 50% less and then stop eating. Your stomach needs to shrink. The first week or so is the hardest cuz the stomach isn't full and will complain. After a while, it will shrink and make it difficult to eat a full portion as before.

2) Better yet, divide your day's meals into eight to ten smaller portions and eat small meals throughout the day. By eating small portions throughout the day, the body will burn it up quickly once it knows food is available regularly. There is a delay of about 2 days for this process to kick in. In contrast, starving yourself fools the body into lowering its metabolism and storing fat for hard times - the opposite of what you want to lose weight.   Starving yourself is NG!

3) Start closely watching what you eat. Look at the calorie content on the labels per serving. After a while, you will realize that eating certain foods is like running in the mud. Even cashews are OK, but only a few - a bowl full will push you over the 1000 calorie mark quickly. 

4) To lose weight, look to eat maybe 1500 calories each day. It all depends on how much energy you burn and your metabolism, so adjust accordingly.  To drop up to 5 pounds a week is fine, but no more. Losing weight too fast has other consequences. Do it gradually.

5) Watch out for the weight plateaus. When I was at 205, my gut hung out and I could barely get into size 42 pants. It was like wearing a 43 pound backpack everywhere I went. Dropping the first ten pounds felt like magic. But then I stayed around 195 pounds for 2 weeks. Then it dropped quickly to 185 and got stuck there for a few weeks no matter what I did. Many people give up at these points, but we need to have faith that doing the right things will eventually work out.

6) Get interested in a hobby that requires physical effort on a regular basis. I fell into kayaking and canoeing. Hiking is good too. As older gents, we need something that will work the stomach muscles too.

7) We cannot tell the body WHERE to take off the weight. It will come off in places you may not like, like the face and reduces muscles somewhat. My face is definately thinner and I am not as strong as before, but maybe by only 15% or so.  You will feel colder in winter and need more clothes layers. The stomach will need toning to remove the last few pounds of fat. You will probably never get a "six pacK,' but you will see the faint outline of one if you do sit ups each day.  Find a big rock or chair and do a few rounds of inclined push-ups each day. These are the easier push-ups where you lean forward maybe 45 degrees. Toning is important to tell the fat where to leave and also to maintain strength.

Cool Think thin. After awhile, you will find it very easy to pass on desserts and other fat crap foods. Eating large salads, cereal grains, lots of fruits or whatever you like in small portions will become second nature.

9) This is one of the biggest benefits: I'm not really much into how I look - it's how I feel and how easily I can get around. I had 19 pairs of really nice casual jeans/pants hanging in my closet, almost unused. They were mostly sizes 32-36. What a waste for the last 2 years. I was wearing out my 40-42 pants until they were thread-bare. It was such a pleasure to pull out all these thinner pants and zip 'em up. I can even get into size 32 now. It's been since 1970 that I could do that. It makes it all worth it.

10) Benefit: You will feel younger and have much more energy and endurance when at your "designed" weight. The digestive system works better, heart and blood disease risk is reduced as well as a host of back and skeletal problems.

Amendment: 11)  If we fall off the wagon and pig out one day, it doesn't mean we have failed and destined to a life of tears and misery. Just get back on the wagon and start the diet back up again the next day - no problem. We're all human and will probably do it again... :-)   The cumulative effect of generally doing things right over time will prevail in the end.

This plan can be done in a leisurely way. It's mostly psychological and requires only a small physical effort.  It's really about how much food we take in vs: what gets burned up or sent out. For example, if we spent 2 months lost in the wilderness with barely enough food to survive, do you think we would lose weight? How about 30 pounds? It takes a tremendous effort to maintain a body weight like I had at 205, 42 pounds overweight. It cost money and a conscious effort at the supermarket to buy all the junk required. It's really a state of mind.

I hesitated to write this post, but after getting a number of questions from friends I figured maybe a few ham buddies would benefit too.  Hope someone finds it of value.

Best of the holidays to all!

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W4EWH

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:31:54 PM »

The other day a close Vietnamese friend of mine axed me, "Tom Vu, last year you fat as pig. No wonder they call you ham. Now you thin like monkey. What is your secret?"

Yes, it is true. Last spring Tom Vu weighed in at a staggering 205 pounds. My stomach hung out like watermelon. My old 1970 high school weight was 160. I'm now down to a leaner 163 pounds for a loss of 43 pounds. 

How about "before" and "after" pics?

W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:39:38 PM »

Yes, it is true. Last spring Tom Vu weighed in at a staggering 205 pounds. My stomach hung out like watermelon. My old 1970 high school weight was 160. I'm now down to a leaner 163 pounds for a loss of 43 pounds. 

How about "before" and "after" pics?

W1AC

heheheh...  I made sure no one took any pics of me for the last year. The only record is in the gray matter of friends.. :-)

One benefit I didn't mention - the kayak sits higher in the water now -  and Yaz's 55 pound weight is nearly canceled out from before. The scupper drain holes used to shoot water up at times and fill the boat.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:42:30 PM »

Tommy Vu,

Thanks for the intelesting information.  I always get a kick out of seeing the quote of needing 2000 - 2500 calories per day to survive.  I would be dead by now of obesity if I took that in.

Years ago I bought a calorie counter book for kicks and found that my average daily intake was 830 calories.  During periods of high intake, my impression is that the food passed through faster.  Obviously less nutrition per volume was extracted.  As the economy get worse, perhaps more people will realize how much less food they need to consume.  If you look at the advertising on TV and in magazines you see that pushing food on us is a big part of business and culture here.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »

Nicely done Tom. I am a big fan of portion control. You are absolutely right, you get used to less, and you simply don't miss the extra blob of mashed potatoes after two weeks or so. The biggest problem you'll have now is all the damn women who try to pick you up as you walk down the street. 

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 01:41:27 PM »

I agree.  Very nicely done Tom and constructively informative.
It looks like getting committed and seriously starting is the biggest hurdle.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »

I turned 50 last February, and weighed in at 256 pounds.  My company offers Weight Watchers at a subsidized rate for employees.  I joined in February and my current weight is now 206;  crossed the 50 pounds lost figure two weeks ago.   According to the doc, my ideal weight is about 185, so that's the goal after the holidays.

That's really doing something, Mark!  Now that you are on a roll, the last 25 pounds should be easy.
Weightwatchers, or whatever it takes will work.  There's many, many ways to get there, it's just a matter of consuming less calories, simple as that.

BTW, last month I was stuck at 170 pounds for almost three weeks and wanted to hit 163.  I caught a bout of food poisoning from the local supermarket salad bar for five days. Probably salmanela. Threw up and had diarrhea and dropped the last 7 pounds like nothing... :-)  It was an easy way to lose weight, but a VERY tough way to do it... :-)   Since then, I'm feeling great.  Makes you appreciate good health and now I watch what I eat like a hawk.  No more public salad bars for me.  In fact, I'm splurging and ate some ice cream and pizza this week.  Weight stayed the same so far....

BTW, thanks for the comments, guys -

T

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »

It is important not to over look the exercise portion of Vu's info. Just cutting back on your intake (especially if you cut back too much too quickly) will just slow your metabolism and your weight loss will slow or even stop. Exercise keeps your metabolism up or even increases it.

To keep from losing muscle, make some of your exercise weight or resistance based. Most people naturally lose musle as they age. So even if you don't have a weight problem, weight or resistance training is a good thing to do. Weight training also burns more calories than straight aerobic training. And the added muscle will help you move those boatanchors!
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 03:19:09 PM »

It is important not to over look the exercise portion of Vu's info. Just cutting back on your intake (especially if you cut back too much too quickly) will just slow your metabolism and your weight loss will slow or even stop. Exercise keeps your metabolism up or even increases it.

To keep from losing muscle, make some of your exercise weight or resistance based. Most people naturally lose musle as they age. So even if you don't have a weight problem, weight or resistance training is a good thing to do. Weight training also burns more calories than straight aerobic training. And the added muscle will help you move those boatanchors!

Very good points, Big Country!

You've inspired me start working out with light weights on my old Universal Gym machine that takes up half my bedroom. I do miss the slight reduction in strength and want to do something about it.

Thanks for the reminder, OM.

T

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:06:30 PM »

Muscle requires more calories than fat to maintain. So adding muscle actually allows you to eat a little more with no bad side effects. And the ladies like it too.
W1UJR
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 05:29:49 PM »

Great post and suggestions Tom!

Thanks OM, and congrats on your sucess.
Its hard, and even harder to stay thin, but you've got a plan.
You can't put a price on health and wellness.

Certainly an inspiration to all of us!
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »

Excellent advice, Tom.   Since leaving the hossiple in 2004, I packed on about 30 lbs, currrently weighing 200.   I desperately need to get back to 170, or even 165.   I think I'll immediately start your  system.  My only problem is walking.   I have impeded circulation in my upper legs which causes me to get tired quickly when walking (my favorite excercise).   I get muscle burn in my upper thighs after about 5 minutes of walking.     I'll have to figure out a fix for that.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W1QWT

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »

Tom Vu diet plan very good.
Losing weight is very good for health and happiness. (read that in a fortune cookie!)
Last January I weighed in at 287 pounds!
Very Very fat man.
Then I wound up having a quadruple by-pass operation. (Doctor caught it before I had the big one!)
After I recovered enough they put me in a cardiac rehab program where they taught me how to eat, avoid stress, and exercise.
Now I limit my intake, don't eat fatty foods, and exercise 4 or 5 times a week for an hour minimum at a time. I work out with weights, walk many miles, do exercycle etc.
Turkey burgers not bad and they told me to drink a glass of wine now and again.
So now I am at 203 pounds, have a cholesterol of only 126, LDL or 63, HDL of 49, almost no trigclicerides, and my blood sugar is now normal.
Much to be said for a healthy life style. Turkey burgers are not that boring!

Anyway here's wishing everyone here a happy and healthy new year.
Regards
Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »

Thanks, Bruce -

I know you were successful maybe 10 years ago? at dropping some weight, so you know the score.

Ed - Sounds like a plan.  Yes, it's so easy to pack on the weight sometimes. Time just flies and ya look in the mirror and gag, I know. Hopefully you can find a solution for the walking problem. Any excercise is better than none. Good luck, OM.

Q - Wow, that's a lot of serious weight dropped!  That's quite the excercise sked too, OM. Good for you. Sometimes it takes a shock like that to get us in gear. Sounds like you completely turned it all around, including healthy food, etc.  Interesting on drinking the wine - I've heard that and will read more about it. I decided to go vegetarian here, though it's not required to lose weight or be healthy. I just got tired of getting "chemical" headaches from the MSG, meat extenders and other steroid junk they put in meats. As a result, my bad cholesteral has plumeted to below the average level for the first time. Before it was getting in the danger zone. So, there's so many other benefits of losing weight and eating right.

Another "rule" I should have mentioned in the post above....  I violated it yesterday which reminded me.  If we fall off the wagon and pig out one day, it doesn't mean we have failed and destined to a life of tears and misery. Just get back on the wagon and start the diet back up again the next day - no problem. The cumulative effect of generally doing things right over time will prevail in the end.
Yesterday I pigged out and loaded up on too much chinese food and chocolate swirl ice cream, cashews, etc. But today, I'm back to being good and started working out with light weights again. HUZman suggested the weight training, so that's what I need to tone the final remaining stray fat off.

It's always interesting to hear these stories cuz we're all in the same boat, more or less.

Later -

Tom, K1JJ

W1QWT

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 11:50:18 AM »

Another "rule" I should have mentioned in the post above....  I violated it yesterday which reminded me.  If we fall off the wagon and pig out one day, it doesn't mean we have failed and destined to a life of tears and misery. Just get back on the wagon and start the diet back up again the next day - no problem.

That is exactly what the nutritionist and nurses said in Cardiac rehab.
They said it is ok to do it once in awhile, just not too much.
When my birthday came last April they asked me if I was gonna enjoy a steak. I told them no cause I was afraid of winding up back in the operating room. They said, "you have to live your life, enjoy your birthday, once won't hurt you".

Regards
Q
W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »

Hello TomVuSan,

Thanks for taking the time to share your secret of ridding oneself of the Hammie Radio paunch.

Have been kinna following this outline since leaving college.

For me,  the most important thing is to keep active -- cardio vascular exercise is very important.  Even if we have some little cronic issue with a knee,  back elbo  etc,  there is something that we can do for exercise for muscles AND heart/lungs.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and knowledge.
Best Wishes for the holidays to all and Happy New Year.   Vic
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 03:20:12 PM »

Dr. Vu! Dr. Vu!  One more  kwetchun....  You wrote,
Quote from: Dr. Vu
Find a big rock or chair and do a few rounds of inclined push-ups each day. These are the easier push-ups where you lean forward maybe 45 degrees.
  I assume that the incline is with the head down? 

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »

e-z poosh-oops: on knees... works the lower back and stomach better too...

can't walk long?
stationary bike... I can't do it without some serious uptempo hot rock-n-roll going at the same time, helps to time the session. I get bored easy. Riding outside, like I used to do was good because I was busy thinking about the scenery, that hot girl, cars going by, and not crashing... not to mention getting where I was going.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »

Why is it my cat can sleep 18 hours a day and look beautiful....Might be the no stress life style.
Getting enough sleep is also a big deal.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 05:49:37 PM »

e-z poosh-oops: on knees... works the lower back and stomach better too...
What, just get on your knees?   
I ought to try that.

Stationary bike, eh?   Hmmmmm...     b-o-o-o-ring!  I much prefer riding outside,where I'd be busy looking at the scenery, that hot girl, more hot girls...   stuff....  girls...

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »

Vic,

Yes, the excercise keeps us in a good frame of mind too. Eating right and excercise is really a way of life. I was fortunate to get hooked on kayaking, canoeing and now canoe sailing. Transporting the crafts to and from,  paddling, hiking the islands with Yaz are so much fun that they don't seem like excercise. That's half the battle.  But the lakes had ice on them the last time I went out... all done 'til late March.

Ed,

I do the EZ push-ups. Simply stand and lean forward about 45 degrees onto something - so that your legs are on the ground and your head is up.  There was a time when I cud do 100 regular pushups, but they cause me shoulder pain if I do too many now. I like to do light reps of things now for toning.   In the past, a few years I worked out and built up muscles, but it took so much time and effort to maintain it I said the heck with it. Big muscles turn to fat if not kept up, plus I rarely went anywhere with no shirt to show it off to the babes, so why bother?... :-)  It might be different if I lived in FL or S. CALIF.

Bear,
Yes, biking is real fun. Nothing like it. My problem is taking Yaz with me. The street is outa the question and the long trails in the woods would overheat or overwork him. So, I stick to hiking and sailing with him.  He goes everywhere with me.

Frank,
Yes, the cat family does a lot of sleeping... :-)  I think lions spend 18 hours sleeping too. They are one unique animal to be able to pull it off and maintain their shape.

T

W8EJO

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 06:30:42 PM »

Another strategy that works (I've lost 20 pounds - 210 to 190- in the last 8 months) is the so called Paleo/Evolutionary lifestyle. Basic idea is to mimic the caveman.

Basically you eat what paleolithic (i.e., before agriculture) man ate on the theory that the paleo diet is what our bodies adapted to during the 2 million year paleolithic era and  we have not had enough time (only 10,000 years since the advent of agriculture) to adapt to the agriculturally based diet.

Diet is simple - meat, fish, fowl, eggs, vegetables (except potatoes & rice), nuts & seeds.  Another words what was available to eat during the 2 million year paleoithic era.

I have never watched calories.

In addition to losing 20 pounds (and counting) my lipid profile (HDL, LDL, Triglycerides) have improved greatly.

For exercise I do Crossfit style workouts. These are basically high intensity, short duration exercises, with continuous variety, using body weight only as well as weighted, functional (pushing, pulling squatting, lifting, running, climbing, swimming)  training. Average workout is 20- 30 minutes. The idea again is to mimic the caveman - chase animal, kill animal, haul animal home.

Today's workout was - walk 1/2 hour, sprint 50 yards x 5, 20 x 5 squats, 20 x 5 Hindu pushups & 20 x 5 walking lunges.

No food at all until 6:00PM - then salad with chicken, 3 eggs, handful of nuts & 2 glasses of red wine.

I feel the call of the wild.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
kc2ifr
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »

Good stuff Tom.............here is a little test all can do. I know Im over weight but try to ignore it.
Take off all your clothes and stand in front of a FULL LENGTH mirror and evaluate what u see. If you like it.......no problem, but if you dont.....................its time to take action!!!!!!
Just a thought.........

Bill
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »

Diet is simple - meat, fish, fowl, eggs, vegetables (except potatoes & rice), nuts & seeds.  Another words what was available to eat during the 2 million year paleoithic era.

Very intersting, Terry. I have always thought that imitating the caveman diet or even apes was a better idea than what we have evolved to.  But I do wonder if meat is our natural food or maybe the apes had it right with the fruits and veggies, I dunno.

BTW, why no potatoes or rice? Is it the carbohydrates or maybe the high calorie content?

Tom

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »

Good stuff Tom.............here is a little test all can do. I know Im over weight but try to ignore it.
Take off all your clothes and stand in front of a FULL LENGTH mirror and evaluate what u see. If you like it.......no problem, but if you dont.....................its time to take action!!!!!!
Just a thought.........

Bill

heheheh - I do that, Bill, but in a more subtle way. When sitting on the throne, just look down and check out my stomach. That is probably the most unflattering view, when sitting. 

With men, it really comes down to stomach fat.  Nowadays I just have to pull up my shirt and look in the mirror. Even though the rest of the bod is lean, there is always some fat left in the mid section.  The real breakthrough was when I finally got some curve back in the waist again. Before that, it was the incredible blob.

T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015