The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:45:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions wanted on Fluke 179 meter  (Read 13846 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: December 17, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »

My trusty Fluke 26-III has bit the dust. Fluke pronounced it as non repairable due to onobtanioum parts. I really liked the meter and am sorry to see it go.

They offered me a "deal" on a new Fluke 179
http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/specifications.htm?cs_id=29983(FlukeProducts)&category=HMA(FlukeProducts)

Anybody have any experience with this meter or recommendations on other LCD meters that might be better suited for BA work?.

Thanks

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:52:47 AM »

Techs here have them here at work . They like them
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:00:11 PM »

Been using that model or its predecessor for years. Works FB. Seems pretty robust. Get a HV probe and you are good to go on any BA project.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »

Is there any particular reason you want the Fluke brand?  There are several out there that perform just as well for as long for less money.  I suggest you look about and do some comparisons before you buy unless the name means a lot where you are going to use it.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:30:49 PM »

Fluke=quality
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »

Hey I scored a brand new Fluke 85III complete with 2 pouches, a holster and 3 sets of probes for $150 off of evilbay. I also picked up the matching RF probe and 6KV HV probe from the same place. The deal are out there.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »

The RF probe is quite useful but watch the voltage rating.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 11:05:55 AM »

I crapped out my first Fluke when I accidentally tried to measure 2 kv with the milliamp setting.  Same story, about 10 years old and Fluke said it was unrepairable because parts were no longer available.

Same old story.  Something a few years old craps out, but replacement parts are "discontinued" just when the device was getting enough age on it for some of the parts to need replacement.

The planned-obsolescence racket.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »

I will be getting the old standby the 260 simpson when I can afford it. yo just cant beat a good analog meter for BA work. I love my Micronta becuase of he LCD bar graph which shows peaks and dips well but nothing beats a 260/270 for that IMO.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »

That's a great meter Carl. If their offering a decent discount to upgrade, you can't go wrong. The one's I use and my personal favorite's: at home, it's a Fluke 87V. For work, I need both a DVM, and a meggar for checking motors. The fluke 1587 fill's that need.

Even tho some or most of Flukes lineup is imported, quality it still top's.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »

That's a great meter Carl. If their offering a decent discount to upgrade, you can't go wrong. The one's I use and my personal favorite's: at home, it's a Fluke 87V. For work, I need both a DVM, and a meggar for checking motors. The fluke 1587 fill's that need.

Even tho some or most of Flukes lineup is imported, quality it still top's.

They did make an attractive upgrade offer which I took.
Thanks for all the input.

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 02:20:39 PM »

Does anyone know if the Fluke DVM's read true RMS voltage on the a.c. scales?

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
K4TLJ

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »

Yes.

Regards
Terry
K4TLJ
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 07:21:55 PM »

Like Tektronix for scopes and HP for spectrum analyzers, you'll never go wrong buying a Fluke.

I still have the Fluke 77 I was issued when I started my present job over 20 years ago, and I've changed the battery only twice in that time and it still works like new despite being banged around all around the world in the bottom of a toolbox.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »

Like Tektronix for scopes and HP for spectrum analyzers, you'll never go wrong buying a Fluke.

I still have the Fluke 77 I was issued when I started my present job over 20 years ago, and I've changed the battery only twice in that time and it still works like new despite being banged around all around the world in the bottom of a toolbox.

I have one of those that every time I have it turned on near a strong 160 meter signal, it blows the input protection resistor (5 times in 6 years).  Hate the thing.  Fluke is no different than any reputable manufacturer, they have their problems and their successes
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 04:15:38 AM »

Quote from: Jim, W5JO
I have [a Fluke 77] that every time I have it turned on near a strong 160 meter signal, it blows the input protection resistor (5 times in 6 years).  Hate the thing.  Fluke is no different than any reputable manufacturer, they have their problems and their successes

I shan't deride anyone's preference or purchase, but...

Fluke is a division of Danaher Corporation, having been purchased by them some years ago.  I'm employed in another sector of the company.  I'll be kind and say that, if Fluke's current management and QC are anywhere on a par with that which I've seen, I'd be very concerned. Undecided

Just my humble opinion.

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »

Got a bunch of 179s at work.   They work good.

I had an old Fluke 75.  My first DMM.  Got it back in the 80's.  Worked FB until last year working on the 813 rig, zorch it.  Totally disappointed.  So off to Epay and picked up 3 Fluke 77s for $60.00.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K4TLJ

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »

I kept the Fluke 8060A that I had at work when I retired in '93. It finally went kaput this year after 25 years service. I found a used 'as is' one on Ebay and took the two and made one good working RMS voltmeter/ammeter/ohm meter. Great meter that doesn't blow if accidentally connected to B+ on the ohms scale which I in my old age am prone to do. Smiley

Regards
Terry
K4TLJ
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 10:23:46 PM »

I still actively use my Fluke 8020 and 8050 digital meters. I think I got them in the 70's.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1ZJH

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 10:45:31 PM »

Depends... Normally, yes... But, for a complex waveform, say from a halfwave rectifier with a resistive load, they will NOT read correctly because of the DC component.

Pete
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 01:48:45 PM »

Great meter that doesn't blow if accidentally connected to B+ on the ohms scale which I in my old age am prone to do. Smiley

I always managed to do that even when I was a little JN.  Probably have blown a dozen or more VOM's over the years, including a couple of Simpson 260's.  I have a real knack for accidentally f###'ing things up.

But one thing the fluke won't take is the full HV from the transmitter plate supply.  I blew my first one up after taking some resistance measurements and then forgetting to disconnect the meter before throwing the switch.

- - -
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 01:55:18 PM »

But one thing the fluke won't take is the full HV from the transmitter plate supply.  I blew my first one up after taking some resistance measurements and then forgetting to disconnect the meter before throwing the switch.

That's why I am getting a new one for Christmas!

Carl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015