The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:08:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melting poles  (Read 7738 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: December 17, 2008, 09:22:50 AM »

I've been going to the same beach my whole life and have referenced high tide to the same rock on the jetty since it was installed around 1960.
I have not seen the level of the water change.
Many oil producers including here in the US pump water into oil wells to help extract oil. I wonder if this is where all the extra water is going as the poles melt?Huh
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:28:08 AM »

Donno about water, but out in West Texas they pump CO2 into wells to get the oil out of poor producers. 
NE4AM

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »

Then there are the Great Lakes which are down something like 3 feet.  I blame the bottled-water consumers.

73- Dave

73 - Dave
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:39:17 AM »

In LA I think they use steam in some of the old wells.
Bottled water drinkers have to pee at some point.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 11:15:06 AM »

Sea level will change very minutely with any sort of man made displacement and
given the vagaries of seasonal freeze variation, tides, shore erosion, weather, and other natural noise, essentially unmeasurable.  Eventually all water pumped into the ground returns to the sea. The hysterisis of such can vary from minutes to years.

Back to comparative volumes:
I'm not even going to look it up estimated Earth's volumes but let' just say that petroleum engineers (I 'are' one, registered  Grin) measure water flood volumes, etc. in acre-ft. - English units (one acre area by one foot depth or thickness.) 

That sounds like a very big water unit until you start comparing it with the oceans.  How many acre-ft. of water do you suppose there are in the oceans?  A better unit there might be square mile - miles...    hey! cubic miles ! - Well whadda' you know.

So yes, all of mans puny pumping of water might into land formations might temporarily 'lower' sea level by an almost immeasurable fraction, until that water seeks the sea again, which it trys to do immediately. 

What appears to not be commonly known is that subterranian rocks not filled with oil or gas (those being a very small fracton worldwide) is saturated with water with a salt and other mineral consistancy remarkable similar to sea water.  After all it's basically the same water; they are in communion by undersea strata offshore.

And not so remarkably, hydrostatic pressure increases the deeper you drill in land formations almost exactly the same as descending in the ocean.  All rock porosity, even the most impermeable granite is saturated with water.  Sandstones and limestones have a lot more porosity than marble, of course. When you drill a land well, you encounter fresh water (little salt) for a few hundred feet at most then you 'hit the ocean.'  All waters below the fresh water zones are salt water in all its glory.

In summary your not just looking at 'sea level,' your looking at earth's total water level.  In mountainous regions the water table is far above sea level and, of course, seeking its way to the sea. The are all comingled.

As an aside for numerical comparison, the global warmers have posited injection of carbon dioxide into strata, i.e., sequestration, as a solution to increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide levels.  That operation in order to make a significant impact would take an infrastructure every bit as large as the world wide oil exploration, development and refrinement business combined.  This means essentially the same money and development time as the entire oil business since the inception ot the automobile and internal compustion engine.  Think all the worlds filling stations, pumping stations, wells, pipelines, refineries, power generation and financing required for same.....     

RICK  *W3RSW*
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »

"Global Warming" or "warmers" is so 2005... Tongue
I think they have tiptoed away from that moniker and
now prefer "Global Climate Change" ?

Shocked

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 12:10:08 PM »

I prefer to call it Global Idiocy.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:27:20 PM »

I'm surprised all this oil and gas remains trapped in the rock with all this water moving through it. Sounds like pumping water into the ground may actually be a good way to filter it.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »

Water may or may not move through oil and gas reservoirs. Sometimes the water front moves back and forth 'enmass' as the pressure of a reservoir decreases during production or increases during underground natural gas storage where gas is pumped back in the gound in summer for re-production  Grin in winter.

Much engineering time is devoted to keeping water from 'blowing by' entrained oil.  Water fingers tend to rapidly bypass oil in getting from the water injection well to the hopefully oil production well.

Also in virgin (unproduced) reservoirs natural gas caps as a result of pressure tend to exclude oil and gas from the rock's interstecies (porosity.)   Also fluids tend to separate based on specific gravity or density, i.e.  in many reservoirs oil, gas and water are segregated, e.g. gas on top, then oil, then water on the bottom which is heavier than oil.

A well will be drilled just into the top zones in you only want gas, through the top two zones if you want gas and oil.  The trick is to not to drill too deeply or to case off the lower zones if you do.  Drilling, casing, perforating the correct zones, packing off ones you don't want, pressure maintenance of the gas cap (here's where CO2 injection is desirable and is known as a valid form of tertiary production.

Viscosity of the fluids also contributes to 'blow by' since  water is less viscous than oil it tends to flow quicker though the available rock permeability.

Well I can't reproduce an entire text here but, yes, a lot of research has gone into rock properties, gradient fluid production, etc.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 03:47:59 PM »

I know there is a large reserve under Bermuda.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »

Frank
I think they should put up rigs and drill every 200Ft from Old Saybrook to Stonington......!
I live far enough in land so the view won't bother me, and maybe CT will find enough oil revenue to lower my taxes......

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 06:46:33 PM »

I'm not even going to look it up estimated Earth's volumes but let' just say that petroleum engineers (I 'are' one, registered  Grin) measure water flood volumes, etc. in acre-ft. - English units (one acre area by one foot depth or thickness.)

There y'all go again... wasting your time reading all those left-leaning engineering handbooks and science textbooks.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
John K5PRO

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »

A little bit off topic of the poles....

In parts of SE New Mexico they pump water down into the salt beds, and create brine that is then extracted and used for adjacent oil and gas well drilling. Recently, several of these wells caved in, as they had overdone it, to the point where the saltwater cave underground weakened the subsurface and subsidence caused major collapse with spectacular and costly results. In one, (this would be perfect for Hollywood) a guy in a truck (a semi i am told) saw the ground start breaking up and reversed quickly to avoid getting swallowed into the depths. These things can be hundreds of feet deep. In the most recent (photos attached), the tanks and equipment all disappeared. The pipes were all ripped out and eventually the pond impoundment failed as well. But hey, we got oil.

* moments before tank falls into sink.jpg (249.16 KB, 955x716 - viewed 319 times.)

* money shot.jpg (217.91 KB, 955x716 - viewed 332 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 07:40:11 PM »

They can set up a rig in my front yard if there is a buck in it for me.
I think there is plenty of room away from the house down near the street.
Gee maybe I can hang an antenna off it.

I remember when I lived in LA and and they set up a drilling rig in the Torrance Sears parking lot.
W8EJO

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 08:31:55 PM »

I prefer to call it Global Idiocy.

For those of you worried about such things, I am selling my GLOBAL WARMING ROCK

Just follow these instructions:
Rock dry – Global Warming
Rock wet – Global Warming
Rock swaying – Global Warming
Rock has shadow – Global Warming
Rock no shadow - Global Warming
Rock white – Global Warming
Rock bouncing – Global Warming
Rock under water – Global Warming
Rock flashing - Global Warming
Rock missing - Global Warming
Your Global Warming Rock also indicates the seasons
Rock cold - Global Warming Chilly
Rock wet - Global Warming Rainy
Rock hot - Global Warming Sunny
Rock covered by leaves - Global Warming Killed all the trees

$19.95 + S&H
PM me to order.

* G W Rock.jpg (7.22 KB, 277x576 - viewed 298 times.)

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 09:35:36 PM »

I want one !
  I want one !
Keep my pet rock company.

And;
In parts of SE New Mexico they pump water down into the salt beds, and create brine that is then extracted and used for adjacent oil and gas well drilling. Recently, several of these wells caved in, as they had overdone it, to the point where the saltwater cave underground weakened the subsurface and subsidence caused major collapse with spectacular and costly results.

Very same thing happened at NTS, e.g. Ranier Crater.  Even has an observation point. If you've ever been to Meteorite Crater in Arizona, it looks the same.  Caused by nuc. shot instead of leaching.  Same effect of collapsing overburden all the way to the surface.

The collapse effect at the NTS is called chimneying and was quite common during the underground shot era.   there was once a nuc. shot to establish an oil containment cavern. Guess the byproducts were a little too hot and then went even hotter politically  Shocked

RICK  *W3RSW*
John K5PRO

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »

That shot was up in Rife Colorado, part of the Plowshare program (Gasbuggy) of the early 1960s. I saw a video by Dr. Strangelove himself, Ed Teller, describing that experiment. The natural gas was too contaminated to clean and use, so I read somewhere. Another shot was here in Jicarilla Apache country in northern NM, not to far north of me. That one was also for gas. There was one in Louisiana I believe, also. And Gnome, the shot near Carlsbad, in a salt formation, melted a big cavern out that stayed warm for quite some months. I saw a film when the ground raised up a few feet as it detonated, and then dropped back down. Unfortunately, it burped (vented) some noxious gases to the surface. These were all small yielded nuclear explosives, so the ground didn't subside afterwards like the big ones did in Nevada.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 07:37:04 PM »

I remember the last underground test because I was flying out of LA a couple hours later and wondering what was up at 30,000 feet. I heard it shook L.V.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:10:40 PM »

They all shook Vegas.
NTS is about 90 miles from town center.  Used to work out of area 3 in '66; did down hole well logging, - shot, slant and test holes  worked two days on, two days off. - lived in Vegas, 124 Ida, right behind the old Sands; tremors no big deal there. Everybody kind of played up the shaking for the tourists.  I'm sorry I missed the above ground era. I understand the night shots lit up Vegas.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 12:23:07 PM »

I saw a few of the holes......impressive.
But then if I was in charge there would have much larger twin pits at Tora Bora
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015