The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 12:15:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On a "Lighter Note" Background Music  (Read 8612 times)
WB3LEQ

« on: December 04, 2008, 04:27:44 PM »

I been running this website in a separate window while I'm on the internet.  So far I haven't found any intrusive viruses or worms so I figured I would pass it along to everyone.
http://www.theradio.com/
I think it goes back as requests from the 1940's.  I'm currently listening to the 60's era.  Seems pretty good for free!

Bob  WB3LEQ
Keep America Beautiful - Smash an ICOM!
WB2YGF
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 05:25:40 PM »

Cool

This is my favorite internet radio (free also):

http://www.sky.fm/

I tend to listen to the "Mostly Classical" station.

Their mobile version works very well on my Palm 755P also.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:05:54 PM »

I love the radio.com. I plug in my favorite tune and it matches it with a days worth of other music of the same time frame and tempo. This is magic.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »

also see www.slacker.com

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »

I listen to the bluegrass channel on theradio.com.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WA9UDW

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 12:53:45 AM »

http://radiotime.com/Index.aspx
WB2YGF
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 02:12:39 PM »

That's handy if you want news from a particular town, but I avoid real radio like the plague (too many commercials).
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 02:25:37 PM »

My background music here in the office HD radio with CD quality. Wall to wall music, with limited to no commercials, depending on the time of day and station. Best radio investment I've made in recent years.

Here in the Office:

On the 4 Channel System in the Ham Shack:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB2YGF
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 02:49:31 PM »

I have 3 small Roady 2 XM radios.  One I keep in my car, one is a "roamer" I move between my den, RV, or other cars, and one is unactivated for spare parts. I also stream XM on my work computer and my cell phone.
I like this model because it doesn't require a "docking station".

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 05:59:23 PM »

The wonderful ting about HD Radio is that you don't have to subscribe(and pay) to anything.

WB2YGF
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 06:46:57 PM »

The wonderful ting about HD Radio is that you don't have to subscribe(and pay) to anything.
True Pete, I love free, but I can't get CNN, the Weather Channel and CNBC (among many others) on HD radio.  (I listen to Squawk Box and  Fast Money while commuting to and from work.)  I like the fact that I can go cross country and listen to the same station without interruption.  I don't have to hunt for new stations along the way, or worse, get no station at all.  (Wonder how much mobile HD you can get in the middle of WVA.) I get far more use out of my XM than my cable TV at 1/8 the cost so I don't regret paying for it.

I recently purchased an HD Radio and downloaded a list of local HD stations off the web.  Turns out many of them are not strong enough to get a consistent HD signal with the wire dipole antenna that came with it.  I was disappointed to say the least. Kind of like HDTV with the cliff effect.  The station I listen to (WHYY) comes in analog 90% of the time and it makes a slightly garbled sound when the HD cuts in and out.  I haven't figured out how I can defeat the HD.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 10:53:47 AM »

Bob,
Thanks for "The Radio".

One song I remember as a kid and wanted to hear was In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans.  I've listened to a few times and finally understand all the lyrics.  Quite a tune and the lyrics are sort of scary.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 01:53:37 PM »

Can you really tell any difference in sound quality between HD Radio and regular FM, when listening on a good quality receiver?

And aren't the HD2 and HD3 subcarriers lower in audio quality than the main channel?

I'd be more interested in an "internet radio", a dedicated unit to tune in streaming audio off the net without having to tie up my computer or remain tethered to it.  I have seen a few advertised that are supposed to work much like a radio receiver, even with wireless capability if you have a wireless router, but all the ones I have seen are quite expensive, costing more than a cheap bottom-of-the-line laptop or desktop computer.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »

True Pete, I love free, but I can't get CNN, the Weather Channel and CNBC (among many others) on HD radio.  (I listen to Squawk Box and  Fast Money while commuting to and from work.)  I like the fact that I can go cross country and listen to the same station without interruption.  I don't have tohunt for new stations along the way, or worse, get no station at all.  (Wonder how much mobile HD you can get in the middle of WVA.) I get far more use out of my XM than my cable TV at 1/8 the cost so I don't regret paying for it.

I very rarely turn the "car radio" on when I'm in the car. CD's, the Icom IC-7000, and traffic keep me entertained when I'm driving.

I recently purchased an HD Radio and downloaded a list of local HD stations off the web.  Turns out many of them are not strong enough to get a consistent HD signal with the wire dipole antenna that came with it.  I was disappointed to say the least. Kind of like HDTV with the cliff effect.  The station I listen to (WHYY) comes in analog 90% of the time and it makes a slightly garbled sound when the HD cuts in and out.  I haven't figured out how I can defeat the HD.

The Sangean HDT-1X tuner allows you to switch between analog or HD transmissions on the transmitters main frequency. So, if the signal is weak, I switch to analog and reception is typical for a weak signal.

And Don, yes, you can very easily tell when the HD signal locks in and hear a difference in sound quality. In my metro area, many FM stations have 2 or 3 sub channels, so my choice of programming has been vastly expanded along with the quality of the broadcasts. I've used Internet Radio streams and Rhapsody but the HD radio reception fills my need. And the stream buffering issues are generally not an issue as you find with Internet streams as traffic builds at various times of the day.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 04:47:25 PM »

Here it's B.B. King's Bluesville...... channel 74 .... Sirius Radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015