The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:26:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Hashafisti Scratchi" a Silent Key  (Read 5951 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:07:27 PM »

From

http://newsvc.cq-amateur-radio.com/

"Hashafisti Scratchi" a Silent Key

Posted: Nov 25, 2008

The man who wrote "Scratchi" for CQ magazine is a Silent Key. George H. Floyd, Jr., WA4DGA (ex-W2RYT), of Lynchburg, Virginia, entertained thousands of his fellow hams for more than two decades -- between 1947 and 1971 -- writing as a politically-incorrect (by today's standards) Japanese-American ham with fractured English and contorted spelling. He wrote from "Feenix, Ariz.," began each column with "Deer Hon. Ed.," and regularly skewered the pomposity and poor operating practices he encountered on the air. He passed away November 22 at the age of 91.

In real life, George Floyd was an engineer and executive with General Electric, working in Schenectady and Syracuse, New York, before moving to Lynchburg, Virginia in the late 1950s. GE alumni will also remember George -- pseudonymously as well -- as "Lighthouse Larry" in GE employee publications.

Scratchi first appeared in CQ in June, 1947. The column became a regular feature between 1948 and 1960, then returned from 1966 to 1971. For many CQ readers in that time period, Scratchi was the first item they read when the magazine arrived each month. CQ Publisher Dick Ross, K2MGA, writing in the magazine's 50th anniversary issue in January, 1995, said: "For many years the name Hashafisti Scratchi has been almost synonymous with confusion and consternation in amateur radio. It seems, too, that whenever the unusual or impossible is happening, Scratchi is there helping it happen."

Upon receiving news of George's passing, Ross noted, "As saddened as I am to learn of George's death, the mere mention of his name brings a smile to my face, knowing how his good humor and wonderfully creative imagination entertained so many of us for so many years."

Floyd was pre-deceased by his wife, Miriam; and is survived by two daughters, two granddaughters and six great-grandchildren. The family asks that those interested in making donations in Floyd's memory contribute to the Nature Conservancy, the Sierra Club, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals or the Humane Society of the United States.

CQ readers are invited to submit reminiscences of Scratchi for a tribute in an upcoming issue of the magazine. A special e-mail address has been set up at scratchi@cq-amateur-radio.com.
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:18:56 PM »

Saw that, very sorry to hear it.

I hope that someone complies his past work into a collection.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 01:22:16 PM »

Of course Scrathchi made some appearances in Radio magazine well before the regular column in CQ.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:49:18 PM »

Holy Crapola!!! I knew George back when I was a member of the Lynchburg Amatuer Radio Club. I never knew he was Scratchi. Wow! I was then KC4SLK and he used jab me and Duane, KK4AM (ex KN0R), for running AM but he was good natured about it. He will definitely be missed Cry

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Ken - K2UPI

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 05:14:41 PM »

Sorry to hear of George's passing. In my novice days I could'nt wait for the latest issue
of CQ to arrive so I could read about the latest antics of Scratchi and his brother Itchi.
I passed the info to our Syracuse QCWA Chapter 29 group.  Some of our members may
remember George, when they worked for the "General", especially under the name of
"Lighthouse Larry".

Ken/K2UPI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:46:15 PM »

I do remember the writings of Lighthouse Larry!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 09:39:37 AM »

Scratchi was the best.  RIP  Cry

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »

Ditto. Amateur radio could use more Scratchi-type simple fun and humor, though I can't see how he'd survive in today's hyper-sensitive/warm-fuzzy world of political correctness. Still, our heritage is that much richer for George's contributions.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W8EJO

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 06:55:57 PM »

Amateur radio could use more Scratchi-type simple fun and humor, though I can't see how he'd survive in today's hyper-sensitive/warm-fuzzy world of political correctness.

He'd survive because he'd have the spine to tell the PC thought/speech police crowd to go to hell; something we should all have the guts to do.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015