The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:23:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-Radio Zorch event  (Read 2381 times)
WQ9E

« on: November 23, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »

So this afternoon I am out in the barn running some glued up panels through my drum sander and I hear a pop and then see smoke coming from the motor on my dust collector.  I shut everything down and find the motor run capacitor emitting smoke and a most unpleasant odor.  The capacitor was  made by Yuchang, wonder what country that came from Smiley   I found a suitable substitute in the junk box (an older U.S. made motor run capacitor same value but much larger) that brought my Delta dust collector back to life and I finished running the panels.  I will need to find a modern replacement since the temporary replacement is far too large to fit into the space vacated by the original part.

At least the part is easy to get to unlike many transmitter parts and it did last about 8 years so I guess the quality wasn't too bad.  Of course I wasn't planning on stopping for close to an hour just to get the dust collector running again because the drum sander would quickly load up with sawdust without the collector.  Hopefully final sanding and staining will not involve any additional drama tonight.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 05:43:36 PM »

When this happens around here, I just mount the substitute on the outside if it won't fit inside, in honor of old sparking electromagnetic machinery. It's the way my great uncles used to do it. The replacements were simply bolted to the frame and the wires run to them. One uncle had a 3 phase knife switch on the wall that had to be from the 1930's and was still in use on a 5HP induction motor for washing vegetables. Another has a manual set of knife switches for starting. Throw the run switch then the star switch momentarily. I recall playing with it and would get it running then pull on it so as to disconnect one then two phases. I miss that fun.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »

The capacitor was  made by Yuchang, wonder what country that came from Smiley 

Yuchang Electronics
137-6 Sosa-Dong, Sosa-Gu, Buchun City,
Kyungki-Do, Korea 422-233
 Wink

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:26:04 PM »

Take the old one into any heating/AC supply house and match it up for size. Not a big deal and it'll run you under 10 bucks. Most small run caps are in the 3-5 dollar range.

Get the highest voltage one in there you can fit and it'll last forever. Only the uF is important to the motor.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015