The AM Forum
May 29, 2024, 03:01:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a jargon file for AMFone?  (Read 13081 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: November 12, 2008, 11:31:50 PM »

There are alot of jargon flying around here, a secret language - and some of it can be figured out from the context, some  - who knows the meaning? Should we have a jargonfile here to help newcomers understand what is being indicated. These are things seen here on the board. This could be edited and moved later if it turns out to be a good idea. If so I am willing to help 'keep' it.

Please correct me if I am wrong - I don't know for sure what half of these secret words mean:

STRAP
- verb -
1.) to run the highest possible power consistent with correct technical pratice (as in knowing how long you can run the 250TH plate to yellow and get away with it)

JS
- noun -
1.) "jock strap" - using temporary connections or connectors in a risky manner (i.e. clip leads on a 2500V line) for the purpose of STRAPping.
2.) The "clip lead transmitter" could be an example.

JN
- noun -
??

BEEFUS
- adjective -
1.) heavy duty, as in a component that will endure STRAPping

HAMMY HAMBONE
- noun -
1.) a ham with poor engineering or technical skills who makes use of them anyway;
2.) a person that fouls up equipment beyond redemption;
3.) a person that builds an ill-conceived piece of gear which looks bad and never quite works properly (not to be confused with the post-apocalyptic construction style)

SLOBBER
- noun -
1.) solder, maybe lots of it

TUNA
- noun -
1.) tuner; antenna matcher

CONNIPTION
- noun -
1.) connection

SLOPBUCKET
- noun -
1.) rudely operated SSB station
2.) an individual piece of equipment capable of the SSB mode but not the AM mode.

SLOPBUCKETEER
- noun -
1.) ungentlemanly SSB operator
2.) any person whom both advocates SSB and discourages AM.

PW
- noun -
1.) peanut whistle (polite)
2.) piss weak (vulgar)     

INGREDIMENT
1.) ingredient; a part                                                                                                                     

PROFIT
1.) false prophet, such as Al Gore

MAUL
1.) a tool used for making delicate adjustments the SSB listening experience
2.) an RF amplifier capable of over 500W DC/1KW peak input

?

Radio Candelstein
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:18 PM »

A pretty good start.  But some corrections.

Strap - to have a signal stronger than others, even the guy currently transmitting (as in, "Am I strapping this guy). You can also be strapping or get strapped. It's the opposite of PW!

JN - Johnny Novice - a newbie (some never advance from this stage), or when was a youngster (" back when I was a little JN), or children (me, the wife and the JNs went on vacation).

Beefus. Never heard of that one.

Many more here

http://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/Category:Timtron

and here

http://www.w1ujr.net/glossary.htm
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:30:18 AM »

Maul.....boy, as a JN you gotta a lot to learn
KA1ZGC
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 12:50:23 PM »

Beefus = WB4BFS. Just an annunciation of "BFS". Beans-For-Supper's monicker. Not AM jargon, just someone's nickname.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:59:11 PM »

Now....... Trontized Geography is interesting to study!

Ex. As a JN I was WN8NQN in Clevageland, Ohio !
KA2PYQ
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »

..............Close enough. Start modulating.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 04:07:37 PM »

strap=1/PW
WB3JOK

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 05:33:26 PM »

you left out "Scroteful"  Grin
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 05:37:16 PM »

JN - Johnny Novice - a newbie (some never advance from this stage), or when was a youngster (" back when I was a little JN), or children (me, the wife and the JNs went on vacation).

Ya forgot the third definition.... caw mawn

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 06:20:12 PM »

Ah yes, JN, how could we forget ye.
Verminmont, Penissylvania, ....love all those states. 

RICK  *W3RSW*
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 07:21:07 PM »

Beefus = WB4BFS. Just an annunciation of "BFS". Beans-For-Supper's monicker. Not AM jargon, just someone's nickname.

There is also Jack, WB8BFS, near Cincinnati.  He used to be virulently anti-AM, but in recent years has come around, and frequently operates AM himself, both with riceboxes modified to broadcast quality, and a Ranger/linear combo.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 09:02:56 PM »

So it has already been done well. Strangely i didn't find the terms in the usual search places. See how confusing this is? I'm going back to the bunker and test some tubes for pennance..

Radio Candelstein
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 02:41:01 AM »

yup Don ... thats my radio 'Big Brother' .... Had a nice chat with him on 75 about a week ago ... 73 ...John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 07:42:55 AM »

Good that you stay tuned to your alterego.  Grin

I used to be WA3YPI and probably should have kept the YPI...
"Yippy's" kind of neat.

Oh, yeah I've also heard Tron refer to "Sorryexcuse" as "Sir-ACK'-youse," back in his Sirhan, Sirhan days.

RICK  *W3RSW*
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 04:01:04 PM »

This could be expanded quite a bit  Wink  Just off the top of my head (in no particular order):

ALIGATOR - Slop-bucket'ers (usually located in the South) who generally interfere with on-going AM QSOs.

THE GHETTO - That section of the 75 meter band, sometimes referred to as the "AM WINDOW", around 3875 to 3885.

GRAND OLD BAND - The 160 meter Amateur band.  Old reference: GENTLEMAN'S BAND (pre-slop-bucket invasion).

AM KILLOWATT - An AM transmitter operating at, or capable of operating at the old power limit - 1kW DC input, class C, D, E or F.

CHANNEL MASTER - The station with the strongest signal among a group of stations in a QSO (the most STRAPPING).

PULLING AN INR - Tuning up your transmitter after you join a QSO, and on frequency.  "Stand by, I have to pull an INR (some number of seconds of dead air) - OK, I'm back...".  Often required of stations where the transmitter is not immeditely accessible to the operating position.  Named after W2INR, whose transmitter could not be conveniently accessed without leaving the operator's chair.

PISS WEAKER'S FIRST LAW - "The weaker they are, the longer they talk".  Often exemplified by weak stations, particularly during large round table QSOs.

BUZZARDING - Engaging in an OLD BUZZARD TRANSMISSION.

WLR AUDIO - (historic) Audio resembling well known station, W2WLR.  Characterized by an almost nasal characteristic, with a large, rising frequency response characteristic to around 3kHz, then abruptly cut off.  Not much low end below 100hZ.  Also known as "Phoneticless Phone".  Articles relating to same appeared in the AM Press Exchange during the 1980s.

PECKER MATCH - A STRAP duel between 2 or more stations involved in a QSO.  The stations involved all transmit at once, and the MOST STRAPPING (a.k.a. CHANNEL MASTER) is the winner of that particular PECKER MATCH.

CHRISTMAS TREE - The oscilloscope pattern created by a good quality AM transmitter with most male voices.  "Your CHRISTMAS TREEs  are pointing to the right (or left)".  Related to the audio phase of the transmitter.

Oh well, there are many more  Cheesy

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 04:45:49 PM »

SEEMAN = I see your point.

There's another one describing current.  I'm not going there.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »

Oh well, there are many more  Cheesy

Okay, I'll bite:

PHASE POLICE - Someone who feels compelled to inform you (and anyone else who may happen onto the frequency) that your audio is out of phase, usually employing the controversial "CHRISTMAS TREE" method of phase-correctness determination. See description above.

10 O'CLOCK HIGH - Almost synonymous to "WLR AUDIO"; muffled, narrow, and flat-topped audio, having charactaristics not unlike soundbites of World War II pilots screaming "10 o'clock high!! 10 O'CLOCK HIGH!!" over the radio.

CZH-ING IT - Playing music that is generally considered by most people to be lame and soul-less.

SBE RIG - Slop Bucket Eliminator. A rig with a characteristic yet unpredictable frequency wobble which is impossible for maliciously interfering sideband stations to simply notch out.

DOING THE DX-100 - When your rig is not only FMing, but also randomly FSKing. Named after a common DX-100 VFO malaise.

807 MELTDOWN - Drunken on-air tirade.

SHOVE-YANK - Push-pull.

MICRO-HOMOS - Units of measure of vacuum tube transconductance.

PISS-BEATING TOOL - A hammer, usually a very large one.

PLEASURE RIDGES - Fins or currogations on the anode of a vacuum tube or the outer conductor of hardline. Example: "The 4-400 is electrically identical to the 4-250, the only real difference is the pleasure ridges".

CARRIER SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA - A veritable sea of carriers, none of them on exactly the same frequency, resulting in a huge cacophony of heterodynes.

That's just a few off the top of my head.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 05:20:01 PM »

CZH-ING IT - Playing music that is generally considered by most people to be lame and soul-less.

Another definition of CZHing

CZHing:  Going out to bars to pick up women (particularly young ones).

CZH CLOTHES: Clothing worn when CZHing, particularly if flashy or expensive.

Origins: Named after Roger K1CZH, who usually was involved with young, attractive women, frequented the bar scene of the 1970s, drove flashy cars and wore good clothing.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »

This could be expanded quite a bit  Wink  Just off the top of my head (in no particular order):

ALIGATOR - Slop-bucket'ers (usually located in the South) who generally interfere with on-going AM QSOs.

South of what?

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 08:04:35 PM »

Oklahoma.

An alligator is someone that has transmit capability that exceeds receive capability or in other words, a big mouth like an alligator.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 08:55:06 PM »

yup ... big mouth, no ears .....beefus

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »

Shack PBA
PBA work bench
PBA & moan
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »

Oklahoma.

An alligator is someone that has transmit capability that exceeds receive capability or in other words, a big mouth like an alligator.

There are a few like your description down there.  There is also some up North of me.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 10:25:28 PM »

Yep. They're everywhere.

Oklahoma.

There are a few like your description down there.  There is also some up North of me.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 09:12:01 AM »

Put down the RED SHTUFF for a minute, I think I hear a PISS WEAK LITTLE MOBEELE out there!

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015