The AM Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:50:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 756 PRO III - AM Rcv ?  (Read 7688 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: November 09, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »

Hello all
I have had a the first Pro for about 12 years now and have been really happy with it except for AM rcv.
It has a very wide receiver and some of the DSP filtering does not work on AM

Does anyone have experience with the Pro III on AM rcv? I am considering an upgrade
Thanks and 73

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »

Hi Carl,

The Pro III DSP does not allow custom bandwidth values that vary from the default 9kc, 6kc, or 3kc values that are pre-defined for AM. I've never used the first Pro, so I don't know exactly how the III differs from what you have. I do use the Pro III for a lot of casual AM reception and like it very much, especially when ported to external audio with a little low-end enhancement.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »

Give you a hint OM, you want to wait a bit.
A hot new rig is coming from Icom, rumored to replace the 756.

Icom 7600 -->> http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7600/main.html

If it is anything like the Icom 7700, you've going to be blown away!

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:36:27 PM »

The PRO II and III have excellent receivers on AM. My PRO II audio out drives a Lafayette 3-way bookshelf Hi-Fi speaker. AM amateur transmissions sound great, and, if you do AM DX'ing, the PRO II or III will knock your socks off. Both rigs also sound great transmitting in the AM mode.

As far as the 7600, it's probably at least 2 years away from distribution in the U. S. Icom most likely will showcase it at Dayton in 2009 and then there's the FCC's blessing that needs to be secured. My understanding from the scuttlebutt is that there's still some design issues and features that still need to be resolved. Most likely, as indicated, it will be a scaled down version of the 7800 and 7700 series of transceivers. Sort of a "poor man's" contest rig and probably listing between $3K to $3.5K or higher depending on the features and the yen to dollar value. The PRO III is a great value at this time if you're in the market for a super new rig, don't want to go the Flex or K3 route, and don't want to spend $4K to $10.5K for a rig. I love my PRO II, but sitting next to the Flex 5000, the Flex is hard to beat in features and flexibility.
Of course, the "front panel" takes a little getting use to:

vs

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015