The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 10:22:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage Radio in LA area?  (Read 5479 times)
W1UJR
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:18:20 AM »

Hello all, out here in LA until late Sunday evening and wondering what vintage radio shops, sites, museums are there to take in?

I've got the late afternoons and evenings free this trip, but also returning in Feb, and will have more time.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc. appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »

See if you can contact Dennis, W7QHO. He may be able to set you up with a visit to the Lane Victory Ship in San Pedro. Or the old buzzard military and radio stuff at Ft. MacArthur.

The first pix is the radio room on the Lane Victory.
The second is at Ft. MacArthur. I got to ride in that PowerWagon!

* LaneVictoryRadioRoom2004.jpg (145.38 KB, 800x600 - viewed 377 times.)

* FtMacPowerWagon2004.jpg (135.1 KB, 800x600 - viewed 355 times.)
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:14:17 PM »

I thought that Dennis was in Arizona? Isn't Murphy Surplus out that way somewhere? That's the place I would like to visit.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:21:04 PM »

Thanks for the tip Steve, he's right in the same city as I am staying!

DENNIS DU VALL
1524 PRINCES DR
GLENDALE CA 91207-1228
USA

Will try to contact him tomorrow, perhaps stop by for a visit!

AF9J
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 11:38:53 AM »

I thought that Dennis was in Arizona? Isn't Murphy Surplus out that way somewhere? That's the place I would like to visit.

Murphy's is in the San Diego area (I dabbled in Milradios for a short while a couple of years ago).

Ellen - AF9J
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 12:08:43 PM »

Bruce,
Check out Apex in San Fernando back end of the valley. I used to visit there all the time.
Murphy is cool. I'm told the junk yard across the street is very cool for cubic junk. Murphy will let you check out the back room if you are cool.
TRW swap the last Saturday of the month.
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »

The Queen Mary in Long Beach. Full size floating museum with operating radio room.

http://www.mpicomputers.com/ham/queen/

http://www.aralb.org/Heil/
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 05:44:41 PM »

I like the clock there on the Lane Victory. It's an old 24 hour clock for maritime stations with the silent period markings at 15 to 18 and 45 to 48 minutes past the hour, and the 4 second marks for sending autoalarms.
Enough about that. We're thinking about going out there in a few years to visit some relatives, so this could be helpful in finding places to go(but I would be the only one that it wopould be interesting to).
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 09:39:29 PM »

man, I lived about 15 minutes from Q.M. and actually drove up to it once and never thought of checking out the radio room....bummer.
kf6pqt

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »

I recommend Apex up in Sun Valley, just off the 5 freeway. (interstate, to most of you!) Lots of neat junk to look at. I extracted some TCS units, and some RALS out of there this summer. Actually got down to Murphy's surplus in El Cajon (about 160 miles away from where I live, this is San Diego, not LA) last month and was pretty underwhelmed. Aside from the expensive SEM-35 VHF FM radio  I knew they had from their website, the only thing there that I was the least bit interested in was an outboard boat motor. Its a neat surplus store, and has some interesting junk given their proximity to all the military down there, but it was pretty much ho-hum.

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 09:38:43 PM »

Sounds like Mike didn't let you go out in the back room where he keeps all the cool stuff. I heard the junk yard across the street gets some cool stuff.
W8VG

Eins, Zwei, Drei, Vier, Lets go have a beer!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 01:28:15 PM »

You guys are takin me back! 

I lived at White's Point housing area on Ft Mac (LA AFB) from 99-02.  Spent a great saturday right before Xmas 99 helping Dennis QHO with some chores down in the bunkers.  They had some nice old military boatanchors on display in old army switchboard room. 

Queen Mary radio room is fantastic but also check out sunday morning buffet/brunch in the main dining room.  Will set you back a couple bucks but is worth it--great feed and very nostalgic surroundings. 

For parts, also check out Signal Electronics and Torrence Electronics in Torrence (both in phone book).  Pretty good parts houses. 

Ahhhh!

73's
Geo W8VG
Stafford VA

Licensed in 1970, Terrace Park, Ohio
Formerly WN8HVG, WB8HVG, DA1EV, AA8PF
Colonel, Signal Corps, USA (Ret)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 03:35:18 PM »

Man I used to go to Signal all the time
W1UJR
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »

Thanks for the tips and suggestions fellas!

Unfortunately time did not permit me much leeway this time, but I'll be going back and forth more often for the consulting gig, and plan to really explore the area.

I connected with Dennis, but the only time I had free was late Sunday afternoon and he was busy.
But I am planning on a return trip in early January 2009, so will meet with him then.
Skip also mentioned Mike KO6NM, so I'd like to see Mike as well.

The closest I came to a radio field trip was driving by a store named "Marconi Radio", I got excited, but it turned out to be a customer electronics store.

Had an interesting experience Saturday night, the fellows at the hotel sent me down Brand Street for dinner, which is lined with restaurants. I managed to get lost, and got caught up in the big Prop 8 protests. News and police helicopters all over, I was not sure what was going on until I hear and saw the protesters, 10,000 angry folks with signs. Yikes!

I appreciate the suggestions, now I know that I need to go out early and stay a bit later so I can take in the sights, lots to do out there.

A couple of observations, I was amazed how friendly everyone was, from the airport to the car rental folks, to the hotel staff. The lady at Hertz upgraded me into a new Ford Edge, neat little SUV, was quite impressed with it. Had the best veggie burger ever at Red Robin, wish they had those here, excellent place. The climate was great, it is their winter as well, but nothing like New England. I tell you, it was tough to come back to 29 degree weather, real tough, the cold is getting to me. As far as traffic and crime, seemed very nice in Glendale, and even with my segway into LA it seemed no worse than my former home in Buffalo. Just my 2 cents.

Nice trip, look forward to going back!

Thanks again!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015