The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:45:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To use a tuner or not  (Read 2453 times)
Jerry-n5ugw
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:00:33 AM »

I have a TX-1 and it states it can load in to a 50-600hom load. I have a commercial diapole with a 4:1 balun fed with 50ohm coax. It is a multi-band centerfeed. So the question I have is if the TX-1 will load into it would there be any need for a tuner???
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »

If the Apache can load properly, no, a tuner won't be required.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
K3ZS

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:28:43 PM »

The TX-1 should load OK.   Just curious what type of dipole you are using?    Must be some sort of folded dipole with the 1 to 4 balun.
Jerry-n5ugw
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:33:12 PM »

Yes it is but I can not for the life of me remember who makes it or what model. I'll look at the balun tonight and see if it has the model and man.
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:41:42 PM »

The Apache will do fine without a tuner into that antenna.  But what power is the antenna rated for?  High level AM is pretty tough on little baluns so make sure it isn't getting hot.

My most used antenna for my vintage gear is a full wave horizontal loop and it is loadable on most bands without a tuner.  However, I generally use my homebrew reversible L tuner anyway since it also acts as a low pass filter further reducing harmonic output which is an issue with some vintage gear.  The tuner has turns counter dials on the inductor and vacuum variable cap so changing bands just requires setting the dials to a known position.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015