The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:05:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CM30-50 Transmitter Progress  (Read 22357 times)
W5EFR
« on: October 24, 2008, 12:28:28 AM »

So I acquired a AMBC Transmitter today, not a monster by any means, but not quite a PW either...

A J.R. Cunningham CM 30-50 Transmitter along with the LPB ATU-100SF Antenna Tuner

A friend of mine is in the AM radio business and he had it stuffed in storage for any number of years. He had removed it from a Transmitter site in Brookshire, TX when they upgraded. It was being used as a backup Xmtr and currently has a 1050 kHz Xtal installed

The Tube line up is:
12BY7, 6V6, 6DQ5 (broken in socket)
I'll need to find a 6DQ5 tube to replace the broken one...

Interesting note, it has a IRF820/TIP100 Modulator.

Photos:
http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/CM3050/01Front.JPG
http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/CM3050/04Rear.JPG
http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/CM3050/07Top.JPG
http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/CM3050/10IDTag.JPG
http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/CM3050/18GutShot.JPG
http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/CM3050/15AntTnr.JPG

I searched for "J.R.Cunningham Transmitters" and found this site:
http://groups.msn.com/gospelradio/ouramtransmittersfeatures.msnw

I emailed them tonight to try to get some tech data on this thing.

Anyone else ever heard of them?

If it is 50 Watts output (like the website states), is it worth trying to put on 160 or 75 meters?

W1EUJ
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 08:34:27 AM »

No. Time and money better spent elsewhere.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:22 AM »

Unfortunately that would have to be considered a low power (PW) TX.
It looks like a night time low power transmitter for AM B'cast. The swirl marks on the aluminum is intersting.
That would be a good driver for a linear. No audio mods needed. It should be b'cast quality audio.
If you already have a linear you're ready to go.
You need a good antenna and at least 150 watts min for 160M and 80M. Others will disagree, but that's why we have interference problems during a QSO. You have to try to be a tall ship on these bands. They are crowded because of the low sunspot cycle we are in now. And SSB QSO's zero in, right on top of an AM QSO OR start chatting 2 kc away.
Low power is good before the highway gets busy. Early eve or after 10PM.

The secret is to have a 1 kw rig at the half power setting and a nice flat dipole about 60 feet in the air OR a real vertical and that's the beginning of taking command of the airwaves.

I'm doing what I can with my 250W Raytheon or legal limit (375W) linear
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 10:34:05 PM »

Unfortunately, Mr. Cunningham passed away several years ago.  I have an RCA BTA 1R1 that he was restoring shortly before his death.  I purchased it from his widow a couple of years ago.  He built those transmitters for use by missionaries in several countries in South and Central America. 

W5EFR
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »

Well at that rate, I'll never get on 160 from my current QTH.

A 60x120 lot doesn't lend itself to anything decent for a 160M antenna, the 75 Meter is about all I can get I guess...

And if 50 watts isn't enough to do it, well.. I'll guess I'll look at moving it on.. it was free.. free is usually "You get what you pay for".

Thanks for the replies
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 07:55:16 AM »

Bow .... this cathode mod rig is interesting ... I for one would like to hear it on the air, if possible ... I ran into Cunningham's work while researching cathode mod ... this way possibly gets around needing big mod iron ... he passed away recently ...73 and sk OM ....John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W5EFR
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 12:50:27 AM »

Thank for the reply Beefus,

The site has says:
For
LOW POWER AM RADIO
David Martin, Eng.
Phone: (805) 239-1932
email: martronics@tcsn.net

I also found out David Martin's call is: WA6TYJ
So I sent him am email tonight to see if I can get any documentation on this transmitter. If I get any response, I'll let you know, if you are interested.

Anyone have a 6DQ5 they want to part with?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »

Dear 5EFR
I was not trying to discourage you from 160M. I had the same size lot and you just get that 120 feet of wire around the best you can. Zig-Zag, droop the ends down, whatever, and even if it's only 35 feet off the ground you can get on 160M.
You can get a linear with 3-811A's and that is the beiginning of something to enjoy. Join the crowd. Around 7PM there's a nice group around 1880 plus or minus and then there's another good group around 1980 plus or minus. Twist the dial a few turns. The exact freq changes to avoid the QRM.
The freebie low power transmitter is a great start!! We want to hear from 5 land.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »

Thats just about the right power for a Part 15 rig if you have a big property to cover Grin

At least mine is plate modulated Wink

Carl
KM1H
W5EFR
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 12:58:24 PM »

What is yours?
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »

Home brew: 12AT7, 6AQ5 RF; 12AX7 audio, 6N7 modulator. Pretty much derived from an old ARRL Mobile Manual. Runs at low B+, nice and cool. Driven with feeds from Live365. I prefer 50-60's rock, doo wop, soul, R&B, country/bluegrass.

Sounds real good, strong enough to cover up all the noise and digital crud anywhere on the property I want to listen.

Carl
KM1H
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 06:17:55 PM »

If you want to play around with it, you can likely dump a 6146 into the final position... I'd just check what the B+ voltage is... doubt that it is super high (like a CB linear w/sweep tubes) and also the power out is not very high, so the 6146 ought to work ok. Or almost any other tube of sufficient plate capability, given the low frequency that it works on...

Just a thought...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »

I would think that any of the older horizontal output tubes in the 6Bxx, 6Cxx, and 6Dxx series would be fine. Even something in the 6L6 family if the voltage is within spec; the lead length to the plate pin wont be an issue at those frequencies.

Carl
KM1H
W5EFR
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions and replies,

I actually picked up 5- NOS 6DQ5's today on Ebay, for $35 shipped, this morning.

So I now have $35 invested...

Edit... decide to keep it for now...

W1EUJ
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 09:34:54 PM »

Sell it. Get a better transmitter with MOAR power.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 09:59:31 PM »

I'll have to cast my vote again  for you to keep the low power rig and glom onto a linear amp and you are home. B'cast quality audio from the little guy and a big push into the Aether from a linear. Very simple.......no mods or re-designing what is already working with another final RF tube. Prolly easy to move to 160M, too.
Carl, I think W5EFR wants to use this on the Ham bands, not as a part 15 device.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W5EFR
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 10:06:30 PM »

Thanks for the reply and support Fred, yes, I intend to put it on the 75 meter band (I don't have enough real estate for a 160M antenna)

After a chat with the XYL, I have decided to keep it. It was given to me by a friend who intended for me to use it.. I think that would be the right thing to do...

However, I did chat with Mr Martin on the phone today and told him that I will provide him with any information I can get from him to aid him in reproducing these units for his use...

That being said.. I remember that I have a home-brewed 75/40 meter amplifier that I picked up a couple years ago in the closet. It runs 2 - 813's in grounded grid format. The last time I used it, pushed by my IC-718, it put out 750 Watts on SSB with 65 watts of drive.. well it did that for about 10 seconds, then it set the house alarm off in Panic mode (The alarm was not "armed)  Shocked

Could this amplifier be used in the AM service with reduced power output?
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 10:09:20 PM »

Carl, I think W5EFR wants to use this on the Ham bands, not as a part 15 device.

I know that. My comment was an attempt at humor that apparently flew a bit too high. Grin

Carl
KM1H

W5EFR
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 10:12:17 PM »

I know that. My comment was an attempt at humor that apparently flew a bit too high. Grin

Carl
KM1H

I Caught it.. The thought crossed my mind for a quick second as soon as the guy told me he had it... but I though 50 watts is a Little more than the legal 100mw limit...

but that is 100mw "effective radiated power"... so if I ran it into a 2 meter mag mount on the beer fridge...   Tongue
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »

As to using your 813 amp for AM, consider the math. It is generally accepted that the 1500 W PEP level equates to 375 W of carrier. Then your amp that can do 750 W PEP would have an AM carrier level of 187.5 W. Since your gain seems to be slightly over 10dB, you would need around 18 W of carrier from the new exciter. The limiting question has to do with power dissipation in the 813's. For continuous service, they are rated at 100 W plate dissipation each. You will need to run  them up to say 190 ior 200 W of carrier output and measure the DC power unput to the plate. DC plate voltage times current. If your amp uses a "plate" meter in the cathode or negative side of the amp, remember to subtract the screen currents from the cathode current to get the plate current.  Ignore that comment if you are grounding the screen and the grid, as in a triode connection. You then subtract P out from the DC power input to get roughly the plate duissipation. There will be some loss in the tank circuit, but that would make your tests conservative.

So with the power dissipation calculated, and if under spec, then you will be fine. You may want to make sure there is enough air flow to keep the seals from failing. Some tweaking of the bias point may be necessary to optimise performance for AM.

Sounds like a lot of fun to get this rig on the air!

Rob

W5EFR
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 11:49:18 AM »

Thanks Rob!

I'm waiting for my 6DQ5's that I picked up on Ebay yesterday.

I have a FCC-1.FCC-2 NorCap QRP DDS that I should be able to use instead of crystals.

I'm a hurrying!  Smiley
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 12:28:30 PM »

As to using your 813 amp for AM, consider the math. It is generally accepted that the 1500 W PEP level equates to 375 W of carrier.

What's PEP?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W5EFR
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »

As to using your 813 amp for AM, consider the math. It is generally accepted that the 1500 W PEP level equates to 375 W of carrier.

What's PEP?

Swing....  Wink
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 02:34:20 PM »

peak envelope power (of a radio transmitter) [PEP, pX, PX]: The average power supplied to the antenna transmission line by a transmitter during one radio frequency cycle at the crest of the modulation envelope taken under normal operating conditions.

-- Federal Standard 1037

Pretty simple stuff.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »

So, those of us that can muster up 125% pos peaks are in whyolation???
oh My Gawd......will the FECES catch me??/
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015