The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:18:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My northern sky hook restored  (Read 4808 times)
w1vtp

« on: October 17, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »

Here are some pics of work being done at my QTH.  Check out that BIG bucket rig!  The last pic is of the weed tree that got in the way of my utility pole so I had the north end of my dipole tied to a fence.  Pics one and two pics are to the south and to the north west.  You can just make out the end insulator and the 40 / 80 m trap in the south pic.  The northern view shows some potential 160 m sky hooks soon to be utilized.

I gotta have one of those bucket rigs!!!

Al Violet Toilet Paper

* VIEW TO SOUTH-RS-gamma.jpg (196.73 KB, 900x1200 - viewed 346 times.)

* VIEW TO NORTHWEST-RS-gamma.jpg (277.84 KB, 900x1200 - viewed 382 times.)

* going going-rs.jpg (101.09 KB, 900x675 - viewed 366 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 08:24:39 PM »

What is that third wire coming off the center insulator?
w1vtp

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 02:09:11 AM »

What is that third wire coming off the center insulator?
That's actually part of the continuous rope loop that passes through the pulley at the utility pole.  The insulator your are referring to is actually the north end insulator.  If you look down further you will see a small dot on the ant -- that's the 40m trap.  The center is actually off the pole which is fastened to my garage.  Lousy pictures, I admit.  I may retake them during a nice day so the detail will be better..  This antenna is the Unidella trap system which now covers 80 / 40 meters.  I plan on adding the additional traps and ant extensions that will get me to 160 meters.

My signal seems to have greatly improved so "that's a good thing" to quote Martha.

Thanks for your interest, es 73, Al VTP
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:50:04 AM »

No Parking near antenna - Pic 2

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:13:10 AM »

Hi Al..tuff to pass up this post without a word or two..1st off did you need any reinforcement of your sig here in Moose country?? Al you always were strapping..40 over 9 on the SX140 with a whopping 6ft ant hooked to the back..
2nd of all really couldn't resist saying hello as i had the pleasure of our eyeball QSO on the "sunny" side of the last row on the hill at last weekends Nearfest..tnx for taking the time to encourage me to "get going" on 75mtrs..the xtals are in the mail!!
                  73 hope to work you soon..de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »

The ant farm looks good, Al
I am assuming by the pics that you are a fellow utility pole advocate, when MaNature doesn't provide the needed supports.
I am using my laptop and do not have a pic of my 70 foot pole supporting a tri-bander and the VEE. I hope you were able to get by without a burning feeling in your pocket.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »

Hi Al..tuff to pass up this post without a word or two..1st off did you need any reinforcement of your sig here in Moose country?? Al you always were strapping..40 over 9 on the SX140 with a whopping 6ft ant hooked to the back..
2nd of all really couldn't resist saying hello as i had the pleasure of our eyeball QSO on the "sunny" side of the last row on the hill at last weekends Nearfest..tnx for taking the time to encourage me to "get going" on 75mtrs..the xtals are in the mail!!
                  73 hope to work you soon..de DAVE
I think it was a "because it was there thing."  Thanks for the sig report but I did have a prob.. at night time and am hoping this helps -- weird nighttime propagation notwithstanding.

Yeah, I think the the major fun part of Near-fester is meeting my friends.  I'll be looking for you on 75m

73, Al
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »

The ant farm looks good, Al
I am assuming by the pics that you are a fellow utility pole advocate, when MaNature doesn't provide the needed supports.
I am using my laptop and do not have a pic of my 70 foot pole supporting a tri-bander and the VEE. I hope you were able to get by without a burning feeling in your pocket.

Fred
The only problem part of util poles is getting up to the top.  The only burning part was when the city took about 6' of a strip of land by imminent domain.  Part of my objection to that "theft" was I was losing some sky hooks (trees) so the pole was supposed to sweeten the deal.  I'd like to see that pic when you get a chance.

73 Al
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »

OK
Here is that nice tall utility pole

* POLE.jpg (29.62 KB, 320x426 - viewed 317 times.)

Fred KC4MOP
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 10:27:19 AM »

No Parking near antenna - Pic 2

Mike WU2D

Hi Mike.  Yeah, I don't want some stinking car detuning things during a buzzard transmission Grin

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015