The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 09:18:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABSOLUTELY COOL, JS, BSD based router - Small, cheap, FAST !  (Read 2592 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: October 09, 2008, 11:19:31 PM »

This is not related to ham radio, but I know a number of folks here will find it interesting....

I have a lot of FreeBSD based routers in my network (and the networks I manage).  Some of the systems also function as firewalls, mail servers, spam filters, web servers, file servers, DNS servers, etc...

However, a number of them function strictly in a networking capacity (routing, firewall, DNS, DHCP).  For this, I am still using full PCs because this is what I have lying around.  By the way, for many, many years the MAIN ROUTER/GATEWAY, handling two (2) 3 megabit circuits was running FreeBSD 4.2 on a - yes, get this - a Pentium 1, 90mHz !!!  That is how efficiently FreeBSD handles routing.  There was a complex firewall configuration as well (which every packet went through), and the same system was the main DNS server for 20 or so domains.

Anyway, I'm trying to cut down on the power consumption (gee, sounds like a familiar theme) and size of the router-only systems...when I figured I'd try the Mini ITX format motherboards.  VERY small, yet full functionality.  These have been around for a couple of years.  Known for low power consumption, also.

So, for $35.00 (Ebay) I got a Jetway 7F4K series board (with 2 10/100/1000 lan ports!), Via C7 1.2gHz processor which uses only *7 watts of power*.  The board is fanless, and consumes very little power.   Added 1 gig of memory ($24.00)and an 8 gig USB flash drive (for booting FreeBSD).  The board has all kinds of interfaces for drives, etc. as well.

Software Configuration:

I copied (using a copy utility called pax) an existing FreeBSD 7.0 installation from a hard drive to the flash drive (and put a boot block on the flash drive as well - all this is very easy to do in FreeBSD)... made a few *minor* configuration changes to support a read-only boot device (you CANNOT use a flash disk as a "normal" system disk - the numerous writes will destroy the device over time).

FreeBSD is very smart - figuring out that the boot disk was read-only, and creating a memory resident /var and /tmp directory without me doing anything at all !

So, boot from the flash - and violla !  A diskless, low-power, SMALL, high-performance, fully-functional FreeBSD system, routing packets at full speed between the built-in interfaces.

Here's a picture of the JS router (the board is just sitting on a box.  You can see the size as compared to the standard ATX power supply I hooked up.  Obviously, I need to get or build a smaller power supply !!  No keyboard or monitor need be connected - everything can be managed remotely using telnet or ssh.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:12:32 AM »

That's very interesting. 7 watts, and a solid state drive. I could imagine how long it would take to boot XP from a flash drive. So, how long to boot that beast up? Would it be the same for linux? I am looking into putting together a more power efficient webserver. After all, the I/O need be no faster that the outbound speed of 600Kbits per second.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 01:59:19 AM »

Where are the alligator clips?
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 10:26:46 PM »

That's very interesting. 7 watts, and a solid state drive. I could imagine how long it would take to boot XP from a flash drive. So, how long to boot that beast up? Would it be the same for linux? I am looking into putting together a more power efficient webserver. After all, the I/O need be no faster that the outbound speed of 600Kbits per second.

No clip leads here  Wink

Booting takes about 40 - 60 seconds (start to finish), which is noticeably slower than the same boot from a standard hard drive - but hardly an issue, since it is booted very seldomly.  It is most noticable during the loading of the kernel data segment.  I can't speak to the booting speed of a similar linux server.  I tend to use linux on the desktop and freebsd on the server side.

Once booted, I don't notice any difference in loading applications that are resident on the flash.

I'm looking at running my SMTP protocol based spam filter on such a system, as an "appliance".  This would allow the filter to go ahead of any email server, even microsoft exchange.

Interesting stuff !

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:21:38 AM »

I'm not buying that story Steve, we know that you really bought it for the heatsink!  Wink
Would work fine on a little Class E rig.

Enjoyed the chat on Saturday, and Nancy enjoyed meeting you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015