The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 09:37:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radial Wires  (Read 3368 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: October 08, 2008, 07:54:40 PM »

I was wondering if Radio Shack or any other source was offering antenna rotor wire? It was handy to pull away the "ribbon wire' and lay down for radials. The guage was very good to stay down on the ground with the intial help of sod staples until the grass grows again in Spring. I do not  want any of that light-weight #26 stranded. I need three more 100 foot long 5 conductor cables.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »

Go to an ag supply store and get a 1/4 mile spool of of  19 gauge galvanized electric fence wire. Cheap.

You don't need to use copper for a lot of radials. Because one has so many in parallel. Galvanized steel is just fine and dirt cheap.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:33:57 AM »

Bill is right Phred,

I picked-up a 1/2 mile of electric fence wire for $14 five years ago. I've used it for everything from dipolios to radials to holding my muffler on the truck.

I guess our father's really knew a few things. Bailing wire, twine and a good hammer is a must for the proper toolbox!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:00:48 AM »

thanks Guys
I tried the electric fence wire and that was a nightmare. Very UN-cooperative wire. Too much spring to it.
I see that Shadio Rack does have rotor wire. I'll have to look elsewhere to get a cheaper source. There's still time to rebuild this system before the numbing cold arriives.
Thanks
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 11:24:07 AM »

Sounds like you might have had galvanized steel electric fence wire. That stuff is nasty to work with. The aluminum is much easier, more ductile, and I've adopted it as well for many antenna uses. Not all stores seem to stock the aluminum fence wire - the default seems to be galvanized, with aluminum present in about 50% of the stores when I casually check.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
N8LGU

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 11:44:26 AM »

Texas Towers has it- page 40 in their catalog. But it is expensive! I think I'd go the galvanized route.

"Rock Cave Dave"
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »

Fred,

I have had excellent results with galvanized electric fence wire.  Just roll it out and push it into the ground after you cut a shallow slit in the soil with an edger or a spade.  The only problem with this stuff is that after several years, it corrodes and disappears.  Probably depends on the acidity of the soil.  Push in a small piece of tubing or some sort of stake at the end of the radial to anchor it in place.  The bottom line is that its cheap and easy to find at your local farm supply store.  Another good source of cheap wire is welding wire.  It is actually copperweld and approx. 18 guage.  Works great for antennas too.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »

I'm glad I bought my radial wire back in 1974.  Paid $400 for a 16,000 ft. roll of #12 bare softdrawn copper.  Stored it for about 8 years in an unlocked outdoor shed before I relocated to this QTH and built the antenna.  Copper thievery was not much of an issue then. 

I cut it into exactly 120 quarter wavelengths for 160.  If I had had more uncultivated land available for the radial field, I might have been better off reducing the number of radials while making each of them longer - perhaps 60 half wave lengths or 90 2/3 lengths.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015