The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:29:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75 Meters Gone Loooong...  (Read 2152 times)
John Holotko

« on: September 22, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »

After a summer long absence from the radio I am noticing that 75 meters is really going long at night. I heard a california station on slopbucket working short path DX to So. Africa.  I had to check my band selector to make sure I was listening on 75 instead of 20.

Wonder if a\nyone's been doing any AM DX activity due to the prevailing band conditions ?

John / N2IZE

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »

This is not necessarily because of unusual band conditions I've worked South Africa numerous times on 75 meters in the last few winters.

Several of us reguarly worked some European stations on AM last winter, and W1IA did it again, just this past weekend. Most of the time, I could hear the stateside stations just fine, so the band hadn't "gone long," rather it was just normal night time conditions on 75 meters.
John Holotko

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »

Hmmm... I didn't think of it that way. So in other words  such contacts are not unusual of 75 meters.  Considering the physics involved in radio propagation it does make sense.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:06:23 PM »

Listen in the DX Window. You will hear DX from all parts of the world, if you listen long enough. It won't be long now when guys on the east coast are working JAs while it's still light outside via grey line propagation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015